ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
The Lounge>What a great time to travel!!
BIG_DADDY 12:43 PM 12-14-2020
If you are not one of Fauci's flock this is a great time to travel. I get free air but the hotels and airfare are super cheap. In the last 9 months we have traveled all over and done jiu-jitsu tournaments in Florida and Texas. We have also been to Colorado, Oregon and Arizona. My only regret was missing 2 weeks in Mexico. We have went to Texas so many times we are currently looking for a house in the Fort Worth area. So nice to go to the Ice House and listen to some live music and be normal. I hope you guys are having a great holiday with the people that matter the most. Go Chiefs!!!!
[Reply]
banyon 04:00 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
I have never been to the US Virgin Islands. You have some favorite spots?
The beaches of St. John are the best out there. Also try the fresh snapper at a beach dive off Coki Point (next to Coral World) some of the best fish I ever had in my life.
[Reply]
Donger 04:04 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
The beaches of St. John are the best out there. Also try the fresh snapper at a beach dive off Coki Point (next to Coral World) some of the best fish I ever had in my life.
Yep, St. John is better than St. Thomas. Add Cinnamon, Trunk and, of course, Oppenheimer's Beach.

If you stay on St. Thomas, try to get a place on Peterborg with a view of Magen's Bay.

Also, be aware that parts of St. Thomas are quite poor. And, if you drive, have fun....
[Reply]
banyon 04:11 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yep, St. John is better than St. Thomas. Add Cinnamon, Trunk and, of course, Oppenheimer's Beach.

If you stay on St. Thomas, try to get a place on Peterborg with a view of Magen's Bay.

Also, be aware that parts of St. Thomas are quite poor. And, if you drive, have fun....
This was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. My father in law rented a vehicle, but before he rented it, the guy gave us literally a 30 minute lecture on how to drive and the problems we were going to encounter. He drove us around the island and pointed stuff out like "Hey in this parking lot people are going to back out here and try to hit you" "Around this corner someone will come out of this drive and forget which side of the road to drive on", etc. He then made us take a written test before the car would be rented out.

Literally everything he showed us about traffic we saw happen (though not to us) at some point during the trip.

Still had a great time and would go back.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:13 PM 12-14-2020
It's always a great time to time travel. If it's not, you just go to when it is.

I find myself visiting early February of 2020 a lot these days, though V-E day and the moon landing are also nice.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:14 PM 12-14-2020
Oh, I think I misread the thread title.
[Reply]
Donger 04:15 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
This was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. My father in law rented a vehicle, but before he rented it, the guy gave us literally a 30 minute lecture on how to drive and the problems we were going to encounter. He drove us around the island and pointed stuff out like "Hey in this parking lot people are going to back out here and try to hit you" "Around this corner someone will come out of this drive and forget which side of the road to drive on", etc. He then made us take a written test before the car would be rented out.

Literally everything he showed us about traffic we saw happen (though not to us) at some point during the trip.

Still had a great time and would go back.
A test? I rent from Hertz and they just handed me the keys.

:-)

They did mention the first time that the bus drivers do drive in the middle of the road and I'd need to learn to drive with the driver's side mirror in the vegetation.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:39 PM 12-14-2020
We were supposed to be going to Jamaica for New Years/Anniversary for a week. But itís gotten very difficult to get into Jamaica currently and I didnít want to take a chance of not being able to go at the last minute (plus the resort we were supposed to be going to isnít open still). So we ended up booking for Cancun about a month ago. No restrictions and donít have to test to enter. First time going to any other country but Jamaica, but Iím excited and ready!
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 05:24 PM 12-14-2020
The headlines on CP are throwing me today.

Big Daddy is talking about time travel and someone else is talking about cutting Gay.

So confused.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:26 PM 12-14-2020
Flying to the Cabin in Montana for the holidays... Was going to drive, but the prices are really good to fly...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:57 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yep, St. John is better than St. Thomas. Add Cinnamon, Trunk and, of course, Oppenheimer's Beach.

If you stay on St. Thomas, try to get a place on Peterborg with a view of Magen's Bay.

Also, be aware that parts of St. Thomas are quite poor. And, if you drive, have fun....
I agree with Dong. St. Johns is cool. You need a passport for St. Johns though. It is very cool and there are sugar mill ruins that are pretty cool to see. Best Snorkeling ever for me, and I've been a lot of cool places, is the Ritz Carlton hotel bay area on St. Thomas. The Marriott property on St. Thomas, pre storm, was also a very cool property. The have beach front villas which are nice, and right on the beach or they have a typical resort hotel on the "cliff" with free shuttles to downtown and the straw markets.
I've done 3 Kat sails out of Tortolla as well, best Trips ever, and the cost are pretty reasonable if you have a family or some other couples then you can see much more, Virgin Gorda, the Baths, the Indians, Jost Van Dyke-Soggy Dollar, Willy-Ts Bay Bar...
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 08:49 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
can't see the house because it's linked to your login.


Yeah, it's a good idea to stay close to work because the mid-cities traffic is bad at almost all hours of the day - particularly 121 and 183 between the airport and North Richland Hills. Colleyville and Grapevine are typically upper middle / lower upper class white havens. Bedford is a bit less ritzy-ish. None of those areas have crime issues and the public schools are relatively decent if you are going to do that. You could also check out the other side of the airport by Coppell/Lewisville/Irving. Most of what I said previously applies there as well.
If he wants to live further out, 170/114 has seamless access to DFW...so options like Roanoke, Northlake and even south Flower Mound open up. Or Far North Ft. Worth where I'm at. Grapevine would be ideal, but you have to really love the Grapevine vibe to live there IMO. Personally, I'd stay clear of mid-cities (HEB). I don't like the density over that way.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 11:00 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan:
If he wants to live further out, 170/114 has seamless access to DFW...so options like Roanoke, Northlake and even south Flower Mound open up. Or Far North Ft. Worth where I'm at. Grapevine would be ideal, but you have to really love the Grapevine vibe to live there IMO. Personally, I'd stay clear of mid-cities (HEB). I don't like the density over that way.
Thanks for your input. I wouldn't mind being further out. I have a 13 year old son who is killing it in school so finding him one where he will excel is critical. I am tired of paying a kings ransom for private school and I understand there are good schools the Grapevine? Even the private schools I have looked at out there are a lot less than here. What is the Grapevine vibe?
He also is competing at a very high level in jiu-jitsu so if he is going to be world class we need to get to know instructors out there. Not many are willing to put the time and effort and have the skill to go there. Looking at Gracie Barra and Ribero next trip out.

The hardest part for us is moving out of the mountains which I have been in almost my entire life. It's the people in Texas that really won us over. My son was like "dad the people here are so nice" It was our first trip a couple of years back and we had only been there for an hour. I said are you saying the people back home are dicks? He said yea, pretty much. Looking forward to normal people.
[Reply]
Donger 11:03 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I agree with Dong. St. Johns is cool. You need a passport for St. Johns though. It is very cool and there are sugar mill ruins that are pretty cool to see. Best Snorkeling ever for me, and I've been a lot of cool places, is the Ritz Carlton hotel bay area on St. Thomas. The Marriott property on St. Thomas, pre storm, was also a very cool property. The have beach front villas which are nice, and right on the beach or they have a typical resort hotel on the "cliff" with free shuttles to downtown and the straw markets.
I've done 3 Kat sails out of Tortolla as well, best Trips ever, and the cost are pretty reasonable if you have a family or some other couples then you can see much more, Virgin Gorda, the Baths, the Indians, Jost Van Dyke-Soggy Dollar, Willy-Ts Bay Bar...
St. John is part of USVI. You don't need a passport.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 11:57 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Thanks for your input. I wouldn't mind being further out. I have a 13 year old son who is killing it in school so finding him one where he will excel is critical. I am tired of paying a kings ransom for private school and I understand there are good schools the Grapevine? Even the private schools I have looked at out there are a lot less than here. What is the Grapevine vibe?
He also is competing at a very high level in jiu-jitsu so if he is going to be world class we need to get to know instructors out there. Not many are willing to put the time and effort and have the skill to go there. Looking at Gracie Barra and Ribero next trip out.

The hardest part for us is moving out of the mountains which I have been in almost my entire life. It's the people in Texas that really won us over. My son was like "dad the people here are so nice" It was our first trip a couple of years back and we had only been there for an hour. I said are you saying the people back home are dicks? He said yea, pretty much. Looking forward to normal people.
Yeah...Grapevine/Colleyville are good schools. Same with Northwest ISD and Keller ISD. HUGE districts, FWIW. Mostly 6A schools...except Colleyville-Grapevine are 5A.

Grapevine vibe - they're a bit more Dallas-ish than Ft. Worth - kinda' defeats the purpose of a move due to liking Fort Worth IMO. Grapevine also has a bit of a hippy vibe. Lots of non-Grapeviners descend on the city for their scene...the wineries, the lake etc. Makes it kinda' miserable to drive around on the weekends.

Further out would be the Northwest ISD area and Keller ISD areas. If you like Colleyville from a C.O.L and wealth standpoint, try Trophy Club as a further out alternative. Again...driving the 170/114 connection to DFW is nothing. Easy roads compared to mid-cities, etc. I make it to DFW in about 20 minutes in traffic and I'm near Roanoke.
[Reply]
MahiMike 12:02 PM 12-15-2020
I've done more traveling this year than ever. I feel bad when the resort has more employees than customers but I'm doing my part.

Just got back from the keys during high season and felt like the ocean was all ours.

Good times.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up