ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 150 of 301
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200250 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:26 AM 07-02-2019
Here’s some video of Pena’s swing:
https://youtu.be/MywPAQRVZEY

It’s quiet with easy power. That usually portends well for controlling the strike zone.

Pena has as much upside as anyone in the system, including Witt.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:32 AM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Here’s some video of Pena’s swing:
https://youtu.be/MywPAQRVZEY

It’s quiet with easy power. That usually portends well for controlling the strike zone.

Pena has as much upside as anyone in the system, including Witt.
Do top IFA signings ever jump right into the top 100 prospect conversation like top draft picks do?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:40 AM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Do top IFA signings ever jump right into the top 100 prospect conversation like top draft picks do?

Pretty rare. They’re 16 years old.

They usually have to be seen playing some pro ball before they start getting noticed.

Mondesi and Jurickson Profar both had incredible debuts in short-season ball at age 16 and started getting noticed, but it’s usually mid-season the year after signing before kids start hitting lists.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:56 AM 07-02-2019
I think a pretty real question at this point is, is there something broken in the Royals minor league development of hitters?

So many guys are far worse than expected it makes you wonder what's going on.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:02 AM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think a pretty real question at this point is, is there something broken in the Royals minor league development of hitters?

So many guys are far worse than expected it makes you wonder what's going on.

I agree.

Pratto and Melendez are both showing positive signs since the ASB. Purely speculative, but I do wonder if a combination of swing/approach changes taking hold and warmer weather is leading to that.

I think part of the Royals issue with hitting development has been the type of players they target. They have traditionally jumped in on very athletic, projectable guys and rarely spend premium picks on bat-first types.

They also haven’t spent many high picks on hitters recently (other than Pratto and Melendez, recent drafts had high picks going pitching.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:42 PM 07-02-2019
I am all for drafting athletic guys. I am a big Billy Butler type honk but when I shell out time and money I generally want to see guys who can outrun and jump me.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 01:41 PM 07-02-2019

Royals reinstate Adalberto Mondesi and recall Jake Newberry. They also option Humberto Arteaga and Scott Barlow to Omaha.

— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) July 2, 2019

[Reply]
Mecca 02:12 PM 07-02-2019
I mean, I get why a team would value guys who are athletic. However being a great athlete doesn't mean you'll be a good baseball player as honestly some of the best hitters I've seen weren't really athletic.

It's just not very inspiring to watch guys who were suppose to be something really flounder hard at the A level.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:14 PM 07-02-2019
I tell you what, I haven't been this excited about two prospects in Bobby Witt Jr and Erick Pena since we drafted Eric Hosmer and Mike Moosetacos.

Not that this means ANYTHING but Brady McConnell has been lighting it up for the Chukars, who are 13-1. Super limited at bats, like 28 abs with OPS of 1.2.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:21 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Oh he's a no doubter. In 16 seasons he's only had 4 where his ERA was above 4 and 2 of those were in his first 3 years.

He's at 196 wins and if he wouldn't have spent his first 7 years with our shit show, then he'd probably have several more. He was 60-67 with a .472 winning percentage with us, since he's left here he's been 136-55 good for a .723 winning percent. It's amazing he's still this good at 35. I wonder when he's planning on retiring?

He's at 2534 SO's, so barring him retiring or completely falling off, he should hit 3000 K's.

I know wins and era don't mean everything, but he's one of the best most consistent pitchers in the league. He's won a Cy Young, has been in the conversation 5 times, 6 time all star, 5 time GG, and 1 time Silver Slugger. He's better than the last 3 starting pitchers that got in, Halladay, Mussina, Morris.

And all with an 89.9 FB now. Crazy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:19 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I mean, I get why a team would value guys who are athletic. However being a great athlete doesn't mean you'll be a good baseball player as honestly some of the best hitters I've seen weren't really athletic.

It's just not very inspiring to watch guys who were suppose to be something really flounder hard at the A level.

Pratto did this last year, too. He was pretty bad in the first half and really good after the break. If the pattern holds, I’d like to see them start him at Wilmington again next year and see if he holds the performance gain.

That would indicate he needs an adjustment period at each level and isn’t just a horrific slow starter.

A+ and AA are where real prospects start to separate and fail or rise.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 06:39 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Pratto did this last year, too. He was pretty bad in the first half and really good after the break. If the pattern holds, I’d like to see them start him at Wilmington again next year and see if he holds the performance gain.

That would indicate he needs an adjustment period at each level and isn’t just a horrific slow starter.

A+ and AA are where real prospects start to separate and fail or rise.
Pratto, Melendez, and Matias all need to repeat. Isbel probably would be in AA already if it wasn't for his injuries.
[Reply]
Coach 06:52 PM 07-02-2019
A projected 451 ft HR by Jorge Soler.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:54 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Coach:
A projected 451 ft HR by Jorge Soler.

He’d be fun to watch in the HR Derby.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:09 PM 07-02-2019
Welcome back Mondi with a big homer.
[Reply]