ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 29
« First < 172324252627 2829 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
frozenchief 06:44 PM 08-22-2019
I haven't heard of Smithey but I know Finex:

https://finexusa.com/

Have a friend who swears by hers. I might have to grab one and try it out. God knows, though, the last thing i need is another pan

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:52 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I haven't heard of Smithey but I know Finex:

https://finexusa.com/

Have a friend who swears by hers. I might have to grab one and try it out. God knows, though, the last thing i need is another pan

JFC, that's a work of art man! :-)
[Reply]
frozenchief 10:12 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
JFC, that's a work of art man! :-)
I put in a code to embed a picture but it won’t do it. And they are a work of art.
[Reply]
scho63 03:38 AM 08-23-2019
A deep heavy cast iron skillet is great for frying items as it holds temp great and brings the oil back up quickly after each batch.

I made the greatest steak fries ever in my 20's using Crisco and Ore Ida steak fries. Never had better fries anywhere since.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:02 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
A deep heavy cast iron skillet is great for frying items as it holds temp great and brings the oil back up quickly after each batch.

I made the greatest steak fries ever in my 20's using Crisco and Ore Ida steak fries. Never had better fries anywhere since.
Nice! May need to go get some Crisco...

I recently moved into an apartment in town, and my smoker is at my buddy's out in Monitau, so I bought some new pots and pans, along with a brand new cast iron skillet.

Last night, I was craving a steak, so I went to Lucky's, grabbed something that looked good and tasty...and then I did this :

Originally Posted by Saul Good:
I bought one a couple weeks ago. They are amazing for cooking a strip. Put in in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. When it's done, turn on a burner to high. Put the skillet on the burner and put the steak on for 30 seconds then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Put it back in the oven for 3 minutes, flip, and 3 more minutes. Perfect steak.

Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
It may have been the best steak I've ever eaten.
[Reply]
Stewie 06:30 PM 11-10-2020
I've become a cast iron convert. I own a Lodge "combo" set that acts as a Dutch oven, pot, and skillet. Love it. I've been looking around for some vintage cast iron with limited success. It's either overpriced or rusty crap.

Any thoughts on finding vintage cast iron?
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:35 PM 11-10-2020
I found some of that rusty crap in the closet today. Think it's time to get it back into play.
[Reply]
The Bunk 09:08 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I've become a cast iron convert. I own a Lodge "combo" set that acts as a Dutch oven, pot, and skillet. Love it. I've been looking around for some vintage cast iron with limited success. It's either overpriced or rusty crap.

You can find Griswold stuff in most any antique mall for a decent price. Can also pull it off eBay or Etsy, but the shipping alone will cost you.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:15 PM 11-10-2020
I just pulled out my grandma's cast iron skillet this weekend to cook hamburgers because it was too windy to grill. It's been in the family so long there is no doubt she cooked breakfast in it when my dad was a kid and he's 90.
[Reply]
Stewie 09:41 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Bunk:
You can find Griswold stuff in most any antique mall for a decent price. Can also pull it off eBay or Etsy, but the shipping alone will cost you.
I'm staying away from Griswald because everyone knows what it is and think it's worth more than it is. I did just find an auction near me that sells tons of stuff. One of the photos showed some cast iron in a pile. It's hard to see but I think one is Wagner. Might be worth a look.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:59 PM 11-10-2020
I have a lodge they are good but suck to clean
[Reply]
Pablo 10:12 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Dishwasher does a good job on mine. Just don't use some Aldi brand pod.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:31 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:

Refurbishing them is definitely doable. Right Angle Grinder and a flapper wheel will get to the bottom of the rust and then it is a matter of reseasoning several times and it is good to go.

Hit up estate auctions.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:40 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Just wipe it down with a paper towel and throw it in the oven.

Originally Posted by Pablo:
NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Fish 10:43 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Bud.... I really hope you're joking.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 29
« First < 172324252627 2829 >
Up