Nzoner's Game Room>Ben Niemann
TLO 03:52 PM 09-11-2020
Ben Niemann
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:59 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
What are you basing this off of?
Game film study. Some A-22.

He's not dumb. Generally speaking, he does what he's supposed to be doing. His problem is he lacks the size and speed to actually make plays.

But as for what goes on between his ears, he's actually decent, at least from what I can tell.

Take the Chargers game, for example. There were several plays where he apparently saw the play coming, he got himself into a decent position to make a play, but at the point of attack the RB or TE made a move and Niemann just wasn't a good enough athlete to adjust and make the play. Instead, he got a hand or two on the guy, but his feet were completely off the ground at that point and he wasn't able to finish. On one he should've had a tackle for loss, but again he just couldn't get the guy on the ground.

That's a lack of athletic ability, sure, but he showed solid football IQ deciphering the play and getting to the right spot.

And when he does make a tackle, he almost always is making a textbook tackle; he wraps them up, usually around the knees, and drives his shoulder through. His misses are usually when he has to leave his feet early, because he wasn't fast enough to get in a good position, so he ends up throwing himself at the guy.

IMO, he has the smarts and he's fundamentally sound, but he's just not a good enough athlete.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:03 AM 10-16-2020
Trash
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:47 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Trash
We went through this kind of talk about Dirty Dan and he turned into a solid, Niemann is the 2nd coming of DD.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:50 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
We went through this kind of talk about Dirty Dan and he turned into a solid, Niemann is the 2nd coming of DD.
I don't know. Dan still has his moments.

And so far this year, those moments have been unfortunately much more common.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 07:54 AM 10-16-2020
It's hard not to hate on the guy, but he was an UDFA for a reason and he probably should never have been expected to take on a starting role. Blame the Chiefs for continuing to not do enough to address linebacker. Some people give excuses that it's just not as important of a position in this defense, or others say it's a hard position to learn in this defense, I'm not sure what the right excuse is. But we clearly haven't done nearly enough to address the position, just as can be said with the interior OL. I realize with our big contracts putting us up against the cap you can't just throw money around everywhere, so certain positions have to suffer, but to me it seems like both LB and interior OL have been a weakness for 2-3 years now, well before some of our big contracts came into play.

Obviously it worked last year with the end result of the Super Bowl, but IMO if we want to remain competitive those are two huge needs. I've been wrong in my assessment of the cornerback position, but fortunately Veach has been able to find incredible value there. The same can't be said for linebacker and OL.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:59 AM 10-16-2020
Willie Gay can go a long ways to fixing the LB problem, IMO.

Maybe they can get a couple of IOL in the 2nd and 3rd next year and shore that up too.

They're really not that far away from being decent, they just need more time to fix because they've addressed so many other positions first.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:33 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
As an Iowa fan I have to admit we need an upgrade.
He actually is overachieving. He was an undrafted free agent...

He makes decent plays on special teams, defends Ok in passing situation, and pass blitzed pretty well.

He's not a run stopper and has struggled tackling and has been embarrassed in these areas.

He's a special teams player and a good one. I'm sure he also is excellent in practice helping to prepare the team. However, as Gay comes along, he will get fewer and fewer snaps, but he is a very valuable backup with the current salary cap structure. JMO
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:51 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
He actually is overachieving. He was an undrafted free agent...

He makes decent plays on special teams, defends Ok in passing situation, and pass blitzed pretty well.

He's not a run stopper and has struggled tackling and has been embarrassed in these areas.

He's a special teams player and a good one. I'm sure he also is excellent in practice helping to prepare the team. However, as Gay comes along, he will get fewer and fewer snaps, but he is a very valuable backup with the current salary cap structure. JMO
This.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 07:02 PM 10-16-2020
You hope Spags can get Niemann to the respectable stage like he did for Sorenson and just use Niemann in packages that play to his strength but I haven't seen a real strength with this kid yet. He may know the packages and each player's responsibilities but you MUST execute and he for the most part does not.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:08 PM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
You hope Spags can get Niemann to the respectable stage like he did for Sorenson and just use Niemann in packages that play to his strength but I haven't seen a real strength with this kid yet. He may know the packages and each player's responsibilities but you MUST execute and he for the most part does not.
Actually, he does. He executes pretty well even. He's just not physically talented at all.

He's almost always in the right spot at the right time...and then he gets drug around like a dog toy.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:08 AM 10-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Spags shouldn't have to work so hard trying to make these guys decent. Niemann and Sorenson shouldn't even be on the team. Andy Reid is keeping these guys around, he does it all over the roster. Instead of replacing them, he becomes buddies with them and they stick around forever.

At least 10 guys like this on the roster. Roster spots we should be using to develop guys with legit talent. It hurts the team.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 12:30 PM 10-17-2020
It's pretty telling that Niemann is on pace to have the lowest PFF grade of any Chiefs player since PFF started grading players about 15 years ago.

That means a lower grade than the likes of William BURNTee, Kendsuck Lewis and Orlando Scandsuck.

That's bad.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:32 PM 10-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It's pretty telling that Niemann is on pace to have the lowest PFF grade of any Chiefs player since PFF started grading players about 15 years ago.

That means a lower grade than the likes of William BURNTee, Kendsuck Lewis and Orlando Scandsuck.

That's bad.
Slappy Pistachio....
[Reply]
lewdog 07:00 AM 10-18-2020

That's bad.
Holy shit....
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 07:20 AM 10-18-2020

That's bad.
I was not a Reggie Ragland fan. I think he was one of the worst starting linebackers the Chiefs have ever had. I think he would have been one of the worst backup linebackers the Chiefs have ever had. He was slow as shit, and was very bad at shedding blocks.

But Niemann doesn't even deserve to be a backup this season. He plays his position worse than arguably any player has played their position in the last 10 years for the Chiefs. Yes, he made a play in the Super Bowl, but his ceiling is that of a very good special teams player, and he isn't even close to reaching that ceiling.

Maybe we should just officially move Dirty Dan to linebacker, and play Thompson and Hamilton more, or just bite the damn bullet and give Gay all of Niemann's snaps at LB, and just live through the growing pains of him learning his position on the fly. Or hell, at this point give Niemann's snaps to DOD. Because none of those options could actually perform worse than Niemann is already playing.

I think linebacker is the position that Veach has failed the most at so far in his young career. LB and CB used to be pretty close, but we suddenly have a pretty good secondary, that looks to have the potential to be an elite secondary if Sneed comes back and plays as well as he was before his injury.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up