ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Frig ice maker
Holladay 12:29 AM 12-02-2020
The frig is not making ice. Over Thanksgiving, my Mom used a lot of ice for tea. I think she used what was left in the hopper. So I don't know how long it hasn't worked.

I saw a notification, on the frig, that the water filter needed to be changed a week before. It has happened before and figured I had a week to replace it.

So, after Thanksgiving, I changed the filter and no ice. I forgot to bleed the system of air in the system. I ran through 2+ gallons on the water supply side, which did have air, and thought the problem solved but still no ice. I thought that the line was possibly frozen, so cut the power and left the doors open for half a day.

The water dispenser still works ie. ran 2+ gallons to get the air out, but the ice maker doesn't fill up with water to make ice.

I am clueless. I get water to fill a glass, but no water into the ice maker???

Thoughts.
[Reply]
notorious 08:12 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Samsung fridge by chance? They are known for icemaker issues.
Yep.

We had one and it sucked. Several friends have Samsung’s and they’ve all had problems.

One couple we know bought all Samsung appliances and every single one of them had problems within 6 months.

We will never by a Samsung appliance again.
[Reply]
F150 08:28 AM 12-02-2020
Appliances are the debil.
[Reply]
notorious 08:31 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
I have one that acts up for a week every month.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:31 AM 12-02-2020
Plugged water valve, frozen up, or bad ice maker are most common.

I've replaced a couple and am going to do one for my parents soon. Ice maker should be around $80-100. Watch a YouTube video. Takes about 5-10min to swap out in my experience. ...and yes, this is my last Samsung refrigerator.

You can do it
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:34 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
They certainly are nowadays. My fridge started to go out this spring, I bought it with the house 22 years ago and have no clue how old it was. When shopping I told one of the salesmen that and he said, "I'll be honest with you, you'll be lucky if you get 6 years out of one these days." Gives you a nice warm feeling.
[Reply]
Otter 08:37 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
They certainly are nowadays. My fridge started to go out this spring, I bought it with the house 22 years ago and have no clue how old it was. When shopping I told one of the salesmen that and he said, "I'll be honest with you, you'll be lucky if you get 6 years out of one these days." Gives you a nice warm feeling.
I used to goose step to Consumer Report reviews until they recommended hankook tires. Paid just under a grand for 4 and every one of them slow leak to the point I'm at the air pump once a week. Even paid a trusted mechanic to have them reset. Another $200.

Never again.

Word of mouth is the only way to go when buying.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:01 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Yep.

We had one and it sucked. Several friends have Samsung’s and they’ve all had problems.

One couple we know bought all Samsung appliances and every single one of them had problems within 6 months.

Had a Samsung fridge we bought about 10 years ago. It was great but the ice maker did start having a problem with the ice melting together into a big chunk. Had to have it repaired. But that was the only issue in the 9-10 years that we owned it. We left it in the house when we moved last year but it was still going strong.

Now the Samsung washer we bought a few years ago was a total POS. The drum separated itself within the first year. Samsung paid for the new part but I still had to pay a service person to fix it. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:25 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
I used to goose step to Consumer Report reviews until they recommended hankook tires. Paid just under a grand for 4 and every one of them slow leak to the point I'm at the air pump once a week. Even paid a trusted mechanic to have them reset. Another $200.

Never again.

Word of mouth is the only way to go when buying.
Always get new valve stems when you buy new tires.

If you have to air them up once a week then you should be able to find the leak.
[Reply]
Holladay 10:30 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
there is a bar that drops down to monitor the level of ice in the bin
Checked, in down position.

Originally Posted by :
Originally Posted by :
then freezes again, it can form a sheet of ice cubes and jam up the mechanism.
I turned off the power and left the door ajar for half a day, thus all ice should have melted.

Originally Posted by :
Some have a reset button you have to hold down to get it going again. Check your owners manual.
Will do.

Originally Posted by :
Google the brand, model and problem. There's probably 5 YouTube videos on it.
I should have thought about that. Google is your friend. I am older and the computer is not my first thought, except for the CP.

Thanks
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:43 AM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Yep.

:-) We just bought all new Samsung appliances for our kitchen.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:47 AM 12-02-2020
Is it a top freezer. I had this problem in one of my rental houses, the drain plug for the defrosting moisture in the freezer gets plugged with debris or is frozen. You can remove the back, unfreeze the ice build up with boiling water and a turkey baster, followed by a hairdryer to speed things up. Then make sure the water is draining into the tube to the pan beneath the fridge. You can then take some copper wire and wrap it around the defrost mechanism and leave a piece that you put about 1" down the drain tube. This will keep if from freezing in the future. Put the back back on, reinstall the ice maker and it usually works. However, if you take off the back and it isn' t frozen, then it is something else.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:14 AM 12-02-2020
dumb things happen like someone bumped the off switch
[Reply]
Eureka 11:30 AM 12-02-2020
Here's a big TIP: The water filter is on a door count. Meaning you could never use the water again and after so many times opening the door the filter light will come on. I used to have new fridges in the showroom that were never hooked up to water have the replace filter message come on. It's a scam. Go by taste. I can usually reset my filter light 3-4 times and the water taste fine but this will vary depending on how your tap/incoming water is. Go by taste.

OP find your model number which should be located in the fridge. Try googling that. For instance "Whirlpool XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX common problems" (the X is the model number). This will lead to more accurate info for your specific fridge.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:53 AM 12-02-2020
If your filter works like ours does, it will not allow the water to flow thru once it's expired. Remove/replace the filter.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:42 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
Here's a big TIP: The water filter is on a door count. Meaning you could never use the water again and after so many times opening the door the filter light will come on. I used to have new fridges in the showroom that were never hooked up to water have the replace filter message come on. It's a scam.
This all makes sense now, thanks! Said fridge I bought earlier in the thread has the capability for an ice maker but didn't have water plumbed to the old one so didn't do that. When I opened the fridge last night I noticed the filter light was on and thought WTF.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up