ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pour one out for the sports bar.
Bob Dole 07:13 AM 11-30-2020
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2020/...19-daily-cover

Sobering. No pun intended.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:59 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It sped it up but issues were already there which is why we are now here...just like covid is likely speeding up automation.
The places listed in the article in the OP were very likely in no danger of closing pre covid. Hell its explained to you what they survived previously right in the article.

Unsurprisingly you attempt to deflect from the impact of the shut downs.
[Reply]
tooge 10:00 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Sports bars were already having issues, the rise of massive tvs and home theater setups mixed with the change in drinking habits of younger generations and honestly just people's desire to chill at home away from drunk idiots has all had an effect.
Not really. Or, I guess it depends on the place. Our little joint we hit about twice a week near me is packed consistently. Even right now it's pretty busy. Of course, they have good food also so it's a restaurant/bar with more than bar food. During the lockdown back in March-May, we used to get together with friends in their parking lot and order take out and just "tailgate" to support them.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:00 AM 11-30-2020
I'm a huge fan of bar culture. Most likely due to growing up in a dry county in KS. I'm a sucker for the decors, jukeboxes, pool tables, escape from society, etc. but I completely understand why its dying.

There was some legit fuckery here though with shutting down places that don't serve food. Every place here that doesn't serve food is BYOF or allows people to order in. Then shutting down places without a patio and holding them hostage on sidewalk/parking lot permits so they could set up an outdoor space to stay open. It created a disadvantage for places and was mostly driven by restaurant group lobbies, but it is what it is at this point.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:00 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint:
Americans are not to bad at reinventing into something better
This is true, which is why it imperative American ideals are allowed to flourish.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:01 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Regarding the bigger-picture stuff in the OP, I guess I'm less bothered by it because I see COVID as an accelerant of these kinds of trends rather than as a true game changer. Sports bars were already dying. Office buildings were already starting to thin out as people worked remotely. Restaurants were already moving to delivery.

The entities that truly have staying power (e.g., sports) will come back soon. It's those that were on shaky ground in the first place that are in trouble. And while that's sad, it's not necessarily anything new. Did anyone shed a tear when Blockbuster went under? People have ranted about Walmart putting mom and pop shops out of business for decades, but have we stopped shopping there? Business models come and go. And while I do feel bad for the people who are impacted, the world will reconfigure to the "new normal," and life will go on.
And that is basically what I was saying, right there with you man.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:01 AM 11-30-2020
If I'm hanging out with people, I'm usually at my place or theirs. I've never understood the appeal of bars in general. If you're referring to the ESU days, for example, I think I went to Bruff's once, and my roommate took me to some shady one out to the west of town a bit once. I think that is the extent of my bar visitation in college.
I thought we drug you to Babes a few times. I wasn't a Bruffs for the bar guy, I went for the food, but not for the bar. Never made it out west to Desperate Hos ...err...Desperados. :-)

Eh, nonetheless, we've still done some hanging out here and there. Like what about that pizza joint we ate at the last time I was through there. I can't imagine rent is cheap there. Is it still open?
[Reply]
kcclone 10:02 AM 11-30-2020
Amazingly Covid has finally cured the flu....

https://twitter.com/SteveDeaceShow/s...689715206?s=20
[Reply]
DaFace 10:04 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I thought we drug you to Babes a few times. I wasn't a Bruffs for the bar guy, I went for the food, but not for the bar. Never made it out west to Desperate Hos ...err...Desperados. :-)

Eh, nonetheless, we've still done some hanging out here and there. Like what about that pizza joint we ate at the last time I was through there. I can't imagine rent is cheap there. Is it still open?
I don't THINK so. I can't even recall where that one was...

You have to remember that I was a nerdy choir geek. Crowds weren't exactly my style (and still aren't). :-)
[Reply]
wazu 10:05 AM 11-30-2020
Regarding the bigger-picture stuff in the OP, I guess I'm less bothered by it because I see COVID as an accelerant of these kinds of trends rather than as a true game changer. Sports bars were already dying. Office buildings were already starting to thin out as people worked remotely. Restaurants were already moving to delivery.

The entities that truly have staying power (e.g., sports) will come back soon. It's those that were on shaky ground in the first place that are in trouble. And while that's sad, it's not necessarily anything new. Did anyone shed a tear when Blockbuster went under? People have ranted about Walmart putting mom and pop shops out of business for decades, but have we stopped shopping there? Business models come and go. And while I do feel bad for the people who are impacted, the world will reconfigure to the "new normal," and life will go on.
Forcing closure of businesses until they break is not a part of natural re-ordering of the economy. Were there trends that might have eventually ended with businesses like these dying out? Maybe, eventually. In the meantime these businesses may well have provided money and employment to their local economies for decades to come.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:06 AM 11-30-2020
We'll have Neighborhood Pubs by Amazon in no time to fill the void
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:16 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint:
Americans are not to bad at reinventing into something better
:-)

What a fucking dumbass take.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:20 AM 11-30-2020

I agree with most of what you said here. Largely I'm a free market guy. Nobody gives half a fuck when grain prices are halved or it won't fucking rain and I produce 20% of APH crop. So typically it is hard to get much sympathy out of me for business failures. However, shocks to the system are problematic. And doing things like wrecking real estate markets and massive small business bankruptcies just for the sake of a weird government policy is not healthy.

And sure, where you are the trends were heading that direction, but not necessarily everywhere.

Moreover, sports may or may not be back strong. Football seems to be doing OK, but I listened to a Bill Simmons podcast where he dorked out on NBA revenue numbers, and they may have some real changes. They're looking at massive, like 20% declines in revenue (I don't remember the numbers, but I recommend the podcast it's a good listen. Link). So they're talking about softening the changes to the cap so players and teams don't get absolutely fisted trying to build/keep a team, which means the owners eat shit...again... after eating shit in the bubble. Plus several owners are eating shit in their outside businesses. And so then what? They sell? I think there is a pretty good chance that if more than 2 or so sell in a short period there is a better than average chance the value of a franchise could decrease, maybe substantially. I don't know what that means for the league, but to just handwave any economic impacts from this is disingenuous at best. And the NBA was indestructible before COVID. I don't know what football is going to look like, but baseball relies pretty heavily (save NY and LA) on ticket sales. If this drags out I think there is a fair chance that sport may not bounce back as you're suggesting. And I don't even know what sports without TV contracts look like.

Bottom line is this, if it were to all happen organically, sure, fine whatever. But when insane volatility is introduced into markets, whatever/whereever it is, its bloody, and in most cases, the economy writ large is worse off for it.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:22 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Forcing closure of businesses until they break is not a part of natural re-ordering of the economy. Were there trends that might have eventually ended with businesses like these dying out? Maybe, eventually. In the meantime these businesses may well have provided money and employment to their local economies for decades to come.
You will eat the bugs!
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:23 AM 11-30-2020
I don't THINK so. I can't even recall where that one was...

You have to remember that I was a nerdy choir geek. Crowds weren't exactly my style (and still aren't). :-)
Next to Pyramid Pizza. I'm pretty sure Pretz or someone drug you in there. LOL
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:24 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by BDj23:
We'll have Neighborhood Pubs by Amazon in no time to fill the void
Will there be more bathrooms, TV volume that's wont make you go deaf, and a good air filter so when the douchebag drinking budlight all day sharts you wont be able to smell it? If so I'm here for it.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up