ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>At Michigan State University, the Word Ďbutí Is a Trigger
2bikemike 08:01 AM 08-21-2019
This has to be fake! If not, no wonder we have so many maladjusted kids growing up today.

https://news.yahoo.com/michigan-stat...QDBHNlYwNzcg--

Originally Posted by :
Michigan State University instructed student employees to avoid using words and phrases including “but,” “I apologize,” and “no problem” — because apparently, they’re “triggers.”
Originally Posted by :
The training told students that they should replace the apparent “triggers” with “calmers.” For example, “but” should be replaced with “and,” “I apologize” should be replaced with “I am truly sorry,” and “no problem” should be replaced with “you’re welcome, it was my pleasure.”
Originally Posted by :
“If I’m saying ‘no problem,’ that’s leading a customer to believe that they could be a problem or they could be an inconvenience to you and we’re just assuring them that they’re not,” Sheena Ballbach, MSU facilities manager and host of the training, reportedly said.

Among the other “triggers” were the phrase “it’s our policy” (which apparently should be replaced with “here’s what we can do”), “you should have” (which apparently should be replaced with “what others have found helpful”), and “the only thing we can do” (which apparently should be replaced with “the best option would be”).

[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 08:07 AM 08-21-2019
‘Merica
[Reply]
MagicHef 08:12 AM 08-21-2019
Sounds like employee communication training. If they hadn't used the word "trigger", this wouldn't have made the news.
[Reply]
2bikemike 08:22 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Sounds like employee communication training. If they hadn't used the word "trigger", this wouldn't have made the news.
I agree I think the ridiculousness of being triggered by common everyday words is certainly worth pointing out in the news. Just to illustrate how idiotic the SJW movement is.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:05 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by MagicHef:

^

Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I agree I think the ridiculousness of being triggered by common everyday words is certainly worth pointing out in the news. Just to illustrate how idiotic the SJW movement is.

It's not SJW bullshit, it's Customer Service bullshit. I had to deal with it 30 years ago when I had to work with customers. It's not new at all.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:08 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
^

It's not SJW bullshit, it's Customer Service bullshit. I had to deal with it 30 years ago when I had to work with customers. It's not new at all.
Well we donít need it being the law of the land on college campuses
[Reply]
listopencil 01:11 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Well we donít need it being the law of the land on college campuses

That isn't what the article said:

"Michigan State University instructed student employees to avoid using words and phrases..."

It's a Customer Service issue.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:15 PM 08-21-2019

"Michigan State University instructed student employees to avoid using words and phrases..."

Sounds like nonsense to me, if ďI apologizeĒ isnít good enough then to hell with it... you surely see where Iím coming from
[Reply]
KC_Lee 01:17 PM 08-21-2019
"I apologize, but it's no problem"...and heads explode...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:19 PM 08-21-2019
It's all bullshit man.....George Carlin
[Reply]
listopencil 01:22 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Sounds like nonsense to me, if ďI apologizeĒ isnít good enough then to hell with it... you surely see where Iím coming from

No, in a CS job you absolutely do have to follow a script or an accepted style when talking to customers. This is established practice and it has been this way, probably, since before either of us were born. The problem here in this thread is that the article is intentionally misleading. The author is playing on current stereotypes of college kids to manufacture a story where one doesn't exist. She is trying to get some hype going over nothing. This is "fake news" but it slipped by you because it's selling you what you already believe to be true.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:32 PM 08-21-2019
No, in a CS job you absolutely do have to follow a script or an accepted style when talking to customers. This is established practice and it has been this way, probably, since before either of us were born. The problem here in this thread is that the article is intentionally misleading. The author is playing on current stereotypes of college kids to manufacture a story where one doesn't exist. She is trying to get some hype going over nothing. This is "fake news" but it slipped by you because it's selling you what you already believe to be true.
It's a little of both.

Customer service protocols are certainly calibrated for more sensitivity and diplomacy than conversations in other walks of life.

But this looks to be protocol revisions in a University setting to respond to escalating sensitivity on the part of 'customers.'

There is no reason that a University should be expected to push back on oversensitivity, but it is a commentary on evolving cultural expectations that they felt the need to further refine their protocols.
[Reply]
Bump 01:41 PM 08-21-2019

Are these the employees that operate the campus cry rooms?
[Reply]
listopencil 01:48 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It's a little of both.

Customer service protocols are certainly calibrated for more sensitivity and diplomacy that conversations in other walks of life.

But this looks to be protocol revisions in a University setting to respond to escalating sensitivity on the part of 'customers.'

There is no reason that a University should be expected to push back on oversensitivity, but it is a commentary on evolving cultural expectations that they felt the need to further refine their protocols.

Well, customs change as quickly as customers do. The one example that stands out to me along those lines is eliminating "no problem" but it's also an example of curbing informal language. On a positive not maybe these students will be able to run a register at the local McD's when their Gender Studies degree doesn't pay off. If McD's is still using register people at that point.
[Reply]
2bikemike 08:15 PM 08-21-2019
^

Either way it sure seems like they are avoiding words or phrases to avoid triggering someone. I mean really is anyone going to fall apart because someone says "No Problem"?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up