ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen


The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 03:08 PM 08-19-2019
It would be difficult to make a worse movie.
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:12 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
It would be difficult to make a worse movie.

Seriously...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:17 PM 08-19-2019
Hate the look of Paul but maybe he can act.

For me, the SciFi Dune Miniseries is the definitive version until topped.
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:38 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Hate the look of Paul but maybe he can act.

For me, the SciFi Dune Miniseries is the definitive version until topped.

Yeah, on looks alone....I'm not impressed. But I wasn't in favor of Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk and that has worked well. Paul is supposed to be pretty young after all... The rest of the cast seems extremely strong.

I never saw the miniseries, unfortunately. I've heard good things.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:12 PM 08-19-2019
Hate the 1984 version.

I’ll give this a chance because it’s directed by denis villeneuve. One of the finest directors working right now.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:33 PM 08-19-2019
I always thought Paul and Leto should be portrayed by the same actor; the Leto character could just be aged and made to be a bit taller. A line from the book said that when Gurney first saw Paul again, he initially thought he was looking at a ghost image of Leto. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

I guess they could ugly-up Brolin enough to be a respectable Halleck. I don't have any trouble seeing Mamoa as Idaho.

But how are they going to make Skarsgard believable as the Baron? In my mind's eye I've always pictured the Baron as an evil Orson Welles (his later years when he was fat as hell). Neither the abortion that was the '84 movie or the miniseries got him right.

But like DeBerg said, the director did a fantastic job with the last Blade Runner, so I'm willing to give him the slightest benefit of the doubt. But Dune is my favorite book ever, and after the wretched/shoddy/cheap as fuck treatment it's received in the past, it's going to be hard to impress me unless he really gets it right.
[Reply]
burt 06:39 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
But Dune is my favorite book ever, and after the wretched/shoddy/cheap as fuck treatment it's received in the past, it's going to be hard to impress me unless he really gets it right.
1) The Stand-Steven King
2) The Second Son- Charles Sailor
3) Dune- Frank Herbert
4) Stranger in a Strange Land-Robert Heinlein
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:46 PM 08-19-2019
I hope it's good.

The first was pretty bad.

The problem, as I see it, is that so much of the story (in the novel) occurs between the characters' ears. It's not a story that lends itself well to a visual format.

But I'm still enough of a Dune fan to say that I'm 90% sure I'm going to see it when it comes out.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:53 PM 08-19-2019
Cool
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:58 PM 08-19-2019
It'll be hard to see anyone else but Ian McNeice as Baron Harkonnen
[Reply]
Bowser 08:34 PM 08-19-2019
I bitch about Hollywood remakes as much as the next guy, but I'll likely be guilty of throwing down the cash to see this in IMAX.

It's been literal decades since I read the original or watched the 80's show, but the one thing I remember young me thinking was Duncan Idaho being a bad ass, and he kind of just went out with a pop in the movie?
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:18 AM 08-20-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I hope it's good.

The first was pretty bad.

The problem, as I see it, is that so much of the story (in the novel) occurs between the characters' ears. It's not a story that lends itself well to a visual format.

But I'm still enough of a Dune fan to say that I'm 90% sure I'm going to see it when it comes out.
The mini-series on sci-fi was good, so it's doable.

It may just be like so many other novels: there's too much to cover in 2-3 hours.
[Reply]
Kerkimer 04:10 AM 08-20-2019
Of course,it is.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:58 AM 08-20-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I bitch about Hollywood remakes as much as the next guy, but I'll likely be guilty of throwing down the cash to see this in IMAX.

It's been literal decades since I read the original or watched the 80's show, but the one thing I remember young me thinking was Duncan Idaho being a bad ass, and he kind of just went out with a pop in the movie?

Idaho’s part in Dune kind of necessitates that, though the later installments show off his bad-assery.

Mamma sure has a thing for a specific character, doesn’t he? Complete badass who dies quickly.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up