ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump wants to buy Greenland, 51st state in the Union?
Pogue 02:03 PM 08-16-2019

I see absolutely nothing wrong with exploring the possibility of acquiring Greenland from Denmark.

President Trump is thinking with the future in mind!

It’s a great military location, and there are natural resources. Truman even attempted to buy the land!

This is a smart move!

— Nick Adams (@NickAdamsinUSA) August 16, 2019

[Reply]
Hamwallet 08:58 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I get the sneaking suspicion this might not have ever been about buying a plot of land.
Ding ding ding
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:02 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If we bought Greenland and made it a state, I'd probably buy a getaway cabin in Ittoqqortoormiit or maybe Qeqertarsuatsiaat. But I'd want to retire in a bigger town like Qasigiannguit or Uummannaq.
:-)
[Reply]
srvy 06:20 AM 08-22-2019
This was Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton's Idea before he pitched it to Trump. Cotton had actually discussed the idea with Denmark's Prime Minister several years ago. Cotton sold Trump on the idea this year. All this is is the press and typical lefties grandstanding and TDS.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:49 AM 08-22-2019
Did we buy this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:10 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I don't think so. Nor do I think we ever really planned to. But who knows?
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:38 AM 08-22-2019
What kind of minerals are there? Any of the rare ones that seem to mostly come from China now? If so, that would be awesome and would make the tariffs much more effective!
[Reply]
Pogue 09:43 AM 08-22-2019
Why buy when you can do a hostile takeover?

[Reply]
mlyonsd 10:24 AM 08-22-2019
We should have just taken it at the end of WWII and told Denmark that's the price for liberating them.
[Reply]
Taco John 10:49 AM 08-22-2019
Tom Cotton says it was his idea:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...land-20190822/
[Reply]
BanHam 05:28 PM 08-24-2019

Not yet - but it looks like the process is starting:

US planning to open Greenland consulate for the first time in decades

08/24/19 09:44 AM EDT

> "The U.S. reportedly plans to open a consulate in Greenland for the first time in decades amid President Trump’s interest in the island.

The State Department, in a letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee obtained by The Associated Press on Friday, said the move to reopen the consulate in Greenland's capital of Nuuk was part of a larger plan to increase American presence in the Arctic.

The U.S. has a “strategic interest in enhancing political, economic, and commercial relationships across the Arctic region,” the letter said.

It also reportedly said a permanent presence would permit the U.S. to “protect essential equities in Greenland while developing deeper relationships with Greenlandic officials and society.”

The letter stated that the consulate would be “a critical component of our efforts to increase U.S. presence in the Arctic and would serve as an effective platform to advance U.S. interests in Greenland.”

The president in recent weeks has expressed a particular interest in Greenland and has reportedly floated purchasing the island, which is an autonomous territory of Denmark. Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen called the idea "absurd."

Trump then accused her of making "nasty and inappropriate" comments in response to his overture and canceled a planned trip to Denmark. However, on Friday he said he spoke with Frederiksen on the phone, calling it a "great conversation."

State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said in a statement in May that the U.S. planned to reestablish "a permanent Department of State presence in Greenland" and would work with Denmark and Congress to do so.

The new consulate would open next year, according to the AP. The U.S. previously had a consulate in Greenland from 1940 to 1953."

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...-first-time-in
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up