« First < 23456 789 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>World Ends in 2050: Climate Change Expert
HonestChieffan 09:05 AM 06-04-2019

https://t.co/pIj2s8QleB

— VICE (@VICE) June 4, 2019

[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:25 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If there was ANYTHING legitimate about this, and I mean anything at all, this wouldn't be just a stupid political rallying cry.

Think about it - this would be cause for war. A lot of us are bouncing around in the Chernobyl thread right now, right? And they talk about how the Russians did so much to keep the disaster a secret and cover up potential problems, etc... So imagine if the global diplomatic community knew about the issue with the water tanks potentially exploding, wiping out the other 3 reactors and making Eastern Europe a very quiet neighborhood for the next thousand years. And let's also imagine that Russias response was 'eh, we're not gonna do anything....'

Do you think governments would've just sat there and said "well, I guess that's that?"

Of course not. And that wouldn't be on a cataclysmic scale. If it's true that we're 30 years away from a tipping point and 'all credible climate scientists agree on this front' - are you telling me that we wouldn't have nations gearing up for war? That no allied front would go out there and say "Okay China - you can fix this shit or we can bomb you into oblivion because we're not all dying on account of your old power plants...."?

No, it's just kicking the US in the dick repeatedly despite the fact that our emissions levels are actually declining and that we've held largely steady for the last 30 years (a nominal increase despite increased population).

If the 'science was clear' you can put this in any other context and realize that nations wouldn't stand by and allow it. If Iran were openly building a nuclear device from a science fiction movie that was capable of splitting the world in half by exploding its core or some shit and had started a countdown clock on it, nobody would just say "Damn man, why won't Republicans give us more money?" The reaction would be...significantly more harsh.

The United States is doing a TON on its own end to reduce emissions. And by all accounts we could reduce our footprint to zero and it would mean precisely dick anyway unless significant measures were taken in the developing world to address their antiquated technologies.

So lets start there. Has anyone ever seen the silly trivia thing that says you can save more money by switching from a car that gets 12 MPG to one that gets 24 MPG than by switching from one that gets 24 MPG to one that gets 1,000 MPG? The math checks out over the 'average' 12,000 mile year (option A saves you 500 gallons; option B saves you 488). Switching from a gas guzzler to a reasonably efficient car saves more money than switching from the reasonably efficient car to a super hybrid.

Don't try to do scalpel work when there's still a lot of shovel work to be done. You can take the billions that people one to plow into reducing cow flatulance and instead address those developing nations where you'll get WAY larger marginal returns.

Nah - let's keep kicking sand at the United States. Because we're all clearly very serious so we'll pass more resolutions that don't bind anyone to anything and that the nations who are going the wrong way in emissions aren't even pretending to give a shit about. Clearly very serious business.
I'd give that a 9.95 on the excellent rant scale. Well done.
[Reply]
carlos3652 10:19 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If there was ANYTHING legitimate about this, and I mean anything at all, this wouldn't be just a stupid political rallying cry.

Think about it - this would be cause for war. A lot of us are bouncing around in the Chernobyl thread right now, right? And they talk about how the Russians did so much to keep the disaster a secret and cover up potential problems, etc... So imagine if the global diplomatic community knew about the issue with the water tanks potentially exploding, wiping out the other 3 reactors and making Eastern Europe a very quiet neighborhood for the next thousand years. And let's also imagine that Russias response was 'eh, we're not gonna do anything....'

Do you think governments would've just sat there and said "well, I guess that's that?"

Of course not. And that wouldn't be on a cataclysmic scale. If it's true that we're 30 years away from a tipping point and 'all credible climate scientists agree on this front' - are you telling me that we wouldn't have nations gearing up for war? That no allied front would go out there and say "Okay China - you can fix this shit or we can bomb you into oblivion because we're not all dying on account of your old power plants...."?

No, it's just kicking the US in the dick repeatedly despite the fact that our emissions levels are actually declining and that we've held largely steady for the last 30 years (a nominal increase despite increased population).

If the 'science was clear' you can put this in any other context and realize that nations wouldn't stand by and allow it. If Iran were openly building a nuclear device from a science fiction movie that was capable of splitting the world in half by exploding its core or some shit and had started a countdown clock on it, nobody would just say "Damn man, why won't Republicans give us more money?" The reaction would be...significantly more harsh.

The United States is doing a TON on its own end to reduce emissions. And by all accounts we could reduce our footprint to zero and it would mean precisely dick anyway unless significant measures were taken in the developing world to address their antiquated technologies.

So lets start there. Has anyone ever seen the silly trivia thing that says you can save more money by switching from a car that gets 12 MPG to one that gets 24 MPG than by switching from one that gets 24 MPG to one that gets 1,000 MPG? The math checks out over the 'average' 12,000 mile year (option A saves you 500 gallons; option B saves you 488). Switching from a gas guzzler to a reasonably efficient car saves more money than switching from the reasonably efficient car to a super hybrid.

Don't try to do scalpel work when there's still a lot of shovel work to be done. You can take the billions that people one to plow into reducing cow flatulance and instead address those developing nations where you'll get WAY larger marginal returns.

Nah - let's keep kicking sand at the United States. Because we're all clearly very serious so we'll pass more resolutions that don't bind anyone to anything and that the nations who are going the wrong way in emissions aren't even pretending to give a shit about. Clearly very serious business.
#truth /thread
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:21 AM 06-05-2019
More fear mongering B.S.! And Al Gore and Company won a OSCAR for that movie. This is just like the elites telling/speaking of the worlds population is bad for the planet. Next time you fly from coast to coast look out the window and see how much land could be used to create/build new towns/ cities. We are entering a GLOBAL COOLING TREND NOW but these Global Warming clingers can't accept that FACT
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:30 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Climate change deniers are as amusing as anti-vaxxers and flat Earthers.
I believe in GLOBAL COOLING. Enjoy the chill. Global Warming is a scam.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:00 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Al Gore single handedly did more to harm the public's view of climate science than any other entire group of people.

He made a sensationalist mocumentary with no basis in science, and a bunch of sheep lined up to believe him while a different bunch of sheep lined up to take his gross distortion of climate science as the real deal and decide it's all a hoax.

**** Al Gore. **** media twats who repeat the same style of sensationalist crap. **** politicians who try to use the same style of sensationalist crap to further their own power hungry goals. **** politicians who parrot Rush to further their own power hungry goals.

But...but....AlGore said!!!! :-)

The left never leaves any leeway in their assumption that ANYONE who considers themselves a "progressive" (ne: communist) is ALWAYS right, because, of course, they are a "progressive".

We used to have a name for people like that - "Dumb Mother F----r"
[Reply]
Carr4MVP 09:18 PM 06-05-2019
They said in the 1960s that the world would end in 2000.

Just fear arousing scientists looking for money.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:46 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
They said in the 1960s that the world would end in 2000.

Just fear arousing scientists looking for money.
This. Scientists make a lot of money on fear mongering.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:55 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
This. Scientists make a lot of money on fear mongering.
Funds a ton of University time, pays professors, department overhead, and funds an assload of grad students. They will hide behind the we are not part of industry banner but an ass load of climate change hype flows out when the grants come to an end.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:08 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
Bullshit. AOC already told us the world ends in 12 years.
That's when Zorp returns.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:15 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
That's when Zorp returns.

It's coming my Brother.....it's coming.....

[Reply]
scho63 09:00 AM 08-21-2019
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE STUPID MOTHER FUCKING GLOBAL WARMING JERKOFFS FAILS TO BRING UP THE NUMBER ONE REASON THE PLANET IS UNDER SUCH STRESS:

Brazil's Amazon rainforest is burning at a record rate, research center says
By Jessie Yeung and Abel Alvarado, CNN
Updated 8:17 AM ET, Wed August 21, 2019

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/ameri...rnd/index.html

Massive deforestation that has taken place over the last 25 years is one of the biggest, if not the single largest cause of this planet being fucked up. :-)
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 09:10 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
The real myth is that addressing climate change will somehow cost everyone money.
I'm listening. Let's hear your plan.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:05 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE STUPID MOTHER FUCKING GLOBAL WARMING JERKOFFS FAILS TO BRING UP THE NUMBER ONE REASON THE PLANET IS UNDER SUCH STRESS:

Brazil's Amazon rainforest is burning at a record rate, research center says
By Jessie Yeung and Abel Alvarado, CNN
Updated 8:17 AM ET, Wed August 21, 2019

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/ameri...rnd/index.html

Massive deforestation that has taken place over the last 25 years is one of the biggest, if not the single largest cause of this planet being fucked up. :-)
Well, that and me running my truck(s) "extra time", fueling my truck(s) during the day, and letting the lawn mower run "extra time" in the middle of the day BECAUSE AOC WON'T SHOW US HER TITS!

It's HER fault now! If she'd strip like the whore she is, I'd do better.. But no, she won't!
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 11:38 AM 08-21-2019
After they're finished 69-ing with their boyfriends, guys who watch/follow Vice will swallow this bullshit hook, line, & sinker.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:51 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I'm listening. Let's hear your plan.
I don't claim to have a plan, because I'm not a climate change expert like virtually everyone else in the D.C. forum. I do know that climate change is already costing Americans many more billions of dollars every year. Maintaining the status quo could end up costing you and I more money than the alternative.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up