ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 31
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 07:07 AM 05-16-2019
Listen to the accompanying podcast.
Lots of other insights.
One thing they keep bringing up is that why they didn't believe anyone who said it had exploded is because they didnt think it was even possible.
They had made it up in their minds it was something else and stuck to it. (Like Sau...some on this board about Hill)
The line "this has never happened on the planet before " is exactly what they were up against.
[Reply]
Sully 07:36 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Those dudes in real life all sacrificed their lives to save about half of Europe.
While they may have thought they were sacrificing their lives, which itself makes them heroic, they didn't actually die.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...mission-2016-4
[Reply]
Mecca 07:39 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Sully:
While they may have thought they were sacrificing their lives, which itself makes them heroic, they didn't actually die.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...mission-2016-4
I must have read one of the embellished stories, it said they died in weeks.
[Reply]
notorious 07:39 AM 05-16-2019
Yeah, they didn’t even get cancer.

Hell, Chernobyl produced electricity for years afterward.
[Reply]
Sully 07:41 AM 05-16-2019
After watching episode 1, I was just sick about how all those people just died these horrible deaths, and how the town must've been completely abandoned. Got on the googles, and found out that most of the health scares were completely overblown, and that (like notorious said) they still ran part of the plant adjacent for years afterward.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:48 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
thanks guys
Wikipedia on Chernobyl is fantastic on this. Lots of info and links to more informational details.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:55 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Listen to the accompanying podcast.
Lots of other insights.
One thing they keep bringing up is that why they didn't believe anyone who said it had exploded is because they didnt think it was even possible.
They had made it up in their minds it was something else and stuck to it. (Like Sau...some on this board about Hill)
The line "this has never happened on the planet before " is exactly what they were up against.
That attitude helped in the Japan nuclear disaster. Lots of stuff happened that wasn't supposed to happen.This isn't possible? Remember Chernobyl. Okay, maybe its true. Helped with a faster response. Well it also happened in a Democracy that cared about its citizens more than bad publicity.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:58 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I was in the Navy and my ship was in the Med at the time. I might well have gotten caught up in the fallout.
Yeah, they don't get those water tanks emptied, you might not be with us today.:-)
[Reply]
Amnorix 08:28 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That attitude helped in the Japan nuclear disaster. Lots of stuff happened that wasn't supposed to happen.This isn't possible? Remember Chernobyl. Okay, maybe its true. Helped with a faster response. Well it also happened in a Democracy that cared about its citizens more than bad publicity.

Agreed all around, but probably doesn't hurt that Japan might have about the most "self-sacrificing for the good of their fellow citizens/country" mentality of any population on earth.
[Reply]
Cheater5 08:52 AM 05-16-2019
I don't have HBO. Let me know which number they are using for fatalities - 8, 40, 400, 11,000 or 44,000. They've all been used by different people with different agendas, and none are really accurate because all of them are counted within varying constraints of time and space that selectively ignore the real world.

Not including someone's death because they died one day after you stopped counting, or because they lived one kilometer farther away than you were looking, or just on the other side of a border, or because they committed suicide instead of going through the full course of acute radiation syndrome, or their death came from a radioisotope your chosen detection instrument didn't detect, or the inclusion of their deaths would make the numbers too high to be politically palatable, or discussing their deaths would prompt people to look further into things you'd rather they avoid are all just ways and excuses to fudge the numbers to be what you want them to be.

Even the 44,000 doesn't include people across the border in Belarus who sheared the contaminated sheep and handled their contaminated wool months after the accident.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 10:09 AM 05-16-2019
Yeah I listened to them explain their thinking. I personally on the other hand believe anything is possible and prepare for the worst.
The whole of the Russian people were as much maybe cocky ignorant as they were willing to sacrifice themselves under certain death.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 10:19 AM 05-16-2019
Forgive my ignorance, but it this a docuseries? Or is it similar to how HBO did Band of Brothers?
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 10:20 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I was in the Navy and my ship was in the Med at the time. I might well have gotten caught up in the fallout.
I was living in Germany at the time. I was very young and don't remember a thing but I was told people were pretty scared that fallout would hit the area
[Reply]
Frazod 10:41 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC:
Forgive my ignorance, but it this a docuseries? Or is it similar to how HBO did Band of Brothers?
Band of Brothers type fact-based drama.
[Reply]
notorious 11:02 AM 05-16-2019
Soviet’s will never give up the true number of deaths.

The USSR lied to cover up so many things that I don’t 100% believe the 3 guys made it out alive. They could have died, and the commies pick another 3 loyal workers to create their living heroes.

It’s not like it hasn’t happened before.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 31
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up