ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 27
< 12345 678915 > Last »
The Lounge>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011


What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:36 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
So I have the option of grabbing a 10 inch Staub cast iron skillet , griddled or order online a 10 inch Lodge, not girdled.

What do you recommend? I will end up paying the same price for either one, considering shipping costs.

I mainly plan using it on burgers, searing steaks and grilling Fish. Will I regret my decision if I go with Staub?

Here it is

I don't care for cast iron grill pans. I find them terribly difficult to clean and season really well, and you can't do everything you want in them. And if I want to grill, I'll use the grill.

I'd go with a standard 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet, like what tooge pictured above. That's your standard go-to pan and will do a kick ass job with burgers.

You'll like the enameled exterior, though.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 11:42 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
Not to hijack the thread, but since it's a cooking thread- I got some gift certificates to Williams Sonoma recently and I'm considering a nice quality knife and sharpener. Up to now I've always used just the stuff you get at Target, etc.
Does anyone have an opinion on brand, style, etc? (I was looking at Shun, Wusthof and Global) Are these knives worth it?
Are you talking slicing knife? Like for turkey/roast?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:43 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
Not to hijack the thread, but since it's a cooking thread- I got some gift certificates to Williams Sonoma recently and I'm considering a nice quality knife and sharpener. Up to now I've always used just the stuff you get at Target, etc.
Does anyone have an opinion on brand, style, etc? (I was looking at Shun, Wusthof and Global) Are these knives worth it?
And how much are you looking to spend? The basics of the CI article was that none of the blocks are worth it for money for the quality. Instead, they came up with a DIY set based on their highly recommended knives (one or two Wusthofs, Shun shears, and a few others) and one of those Kapoosh blocks. Total cost runs $375ish, if I remember correctly. A little shopping around and I'm sure you could find it cheaper.

Generally speaking, it just depends on what you like. Personally, I go for the Japanese blades. I really like the 15-degree blades better, and prefer their handling and sharpness.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:43 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Are you talking slicing knife? Like for turkey/roast?
Oh, I was thinking he was looking for a set... :-)
[Reply]
NewChief 11:52 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
Not to hijack the thread, but since it's a cooking thread- I got some gift certificates to Williams Sonoma recently and I'm considering a nice quality knife and sharpener. Up to now I've always used just the stuff you get at Target, etc.
Does anyone have an opinion on brand, style, etc? (I was looking at Shun, Wusthof and Global) Are these knives worth it?
All three of the brands you mentioned are good, as are Henckels. I'd go with what you like. I was going to buy a Shun santoku, because I love the look and idea of them, but the handle was kind of small and the feel a little light for my tastes. I have gigantic hands and very long fingers, though.
[Reply]
sedated 11:53 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
So I have the option of grabbing a 10 inch Staub cast iron skillet , griddled or order online a 10 inch Lodge, not girdled.

What do you recommend? I will end up paying the same price for either one, considering shipping costs.
I'd go non-griddled. You are going to want as much surface area of the meat to be seared, and the griddle will only give you the grill marks.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:55 AM 11-09-2011
I use this



It's made to fit over 2 burners and it's flat on the opposite side.
[Reply]
blaise 11:55 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
And how much are you looking to spend? The basics of the CI article was that none of the blocks are worth it for money for the quality. Instead, they came up with a DIY set based on their highly recommended knives (one or two Wusthofs, Shun shears, and a few others) and one of those Kapoosh blocks. Total cost runs $375ish, if I remember correctly. A little shopping around and I'm sure you could find it cheaper.

Generally speaking, it just depends on what you like. Personally, I go for the Japanese blades. I really like the 15-degree blades better, and prefer their handling and sharpness.
I was looking at knives that run $150-$200 for a chef's knife or Santoku knife. For instance, they have a two piece Wusthof Chef's knife and paring knife for $150, and a Global Santoku for $200.
Not knowing much about them, I guess I'm wondering if one of the brands is considered cheap or somehow inferior in quality. Or, if you're getting one of their knives, even the entry level quality, is it considered pretty good?

I guess I'm sort of gathering from your post that maybe it's somewhat personal preference, and I just need to go down and hold a couple maybe and just see what feels better when it comes to the physical styling.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:04 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
I was looking at knives that run $150-$200 for a chef's knife or Santoku knife. For instance, they have a two piece Wusthof Chef's knife and paring knife for $150, and a Global Santoku for $200.
Not knowing much about them, I guess I'm wondering if one of the brands is considered cheap or somehow inferior in quality. Or, if you're getting one of their knives, even the entry level quality, is it considered pretty good?

I guess I'm sort of gathering from your post that maybe it's somewhat personal preference, and I just need to go down and hold a couple maybe and just see what feels better when it comes to the physical styling.
If you're looking specifically for a chef's knife or a santoku, check out www.japanesechefsknife.com or www.watanabeblade.com/english/. These guys rule. I have a Tojiro 8-inch chef's knife that I absolutely adore, and I have a santoku from Watanabe Blade that is my No. 2.

The Tojiro ran about $90, and it was the blade that got me really into quality knives.

As a brand, Global has the "top of the line" rep, and I don't think you'd go wrong there, but I'd check out one of the sites above. Masamoto makes a helluva knife, too. Check out their 210 Gyoto (Gyoto is chef's knife style).
[Reply]
tooge 12:12 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I don't care for cast iron grill pans. I find them terribly difficult to clean and season really well, and you can't do everything you want in them. And if I want to grill, I'll use the grill.

I'd go with a standard 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet, like what tooge pictured above. That's your standard go-to pan and will do a kick ass job with burgers.

You'll like the enameled exterior, though.
yep. don't get griddled. You'll spend alot of time cleaning inbetween the ridges, and it doesn't do anything a straigth 12 inch pan won't do. If you are after grill marks, then use the grill to sear and finish in the oven in your cast iron pan.
[Reply]
Fritz88 12:15 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I don't care for cast iron grill pans. I find them terribly difficult to clean and season really well, and you can't do everything you want in them. And if I want to grill, I'll use the grill.

I'd go with a standard 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet, like what tooge pictured above. That's your standard go-to pan and will do a kick ass job with burgers.

You'll like the enameled exterior, though.
Originally Posted by sedated:
I'd go non-griddled. You are going to want as much surface area of the meat to be seared, and the griddle will only give you the grill marks.
Thanks. Lodge it is :-)
[Reply]
Fritz88 12:17 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
yep. don't get griddled. You'll spend alot of time cleaning inbetween the ridges, and it doesn't do anything a straigth 12 inch pan won't do. If you are after grill marks, then use the grill to sear and finish in the oven in your cast iron pan.
I agree. I'll go with a regular Cast Iron Skillet then :-)
[Reply]
Frosty 12:21 PM 11-09-2011
Will the oven cleaner method work to make sure a used pan is 100% clean? I've wanted to be able to buy used pans at yard sales but need to make sure someones old pancakes don't rise to the surface.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:25 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Will the oven cleaner method work to make sure a used pan is 100% clean? I've wanted to be able to buy used pans at yard sales but need to make sure someones old pancakes don't rise to the surface.
Yes, that'll strip the seasoning and you'll be left with bare cast iron.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:27 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Yes, that'll strip the seasoning and you'll be left with bare cast iron.
Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 27
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up