ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 223
« First < 293536373839 404142434989139 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:51 PM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Shrimp, andouille sausage, corn on the cob, zucchini, red bell pepper, all tossed in olive oil, Old Bay seasoning, pepper and garlic salt and grilled in foil packets.

Quick, easy and delicious!
I haven't done that in a long time. It is quick and easy. Old Bay is one of my go to seasonings. I use it on a lot of stuff, including as part of my BBQ dry rub.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:58 PM 07-05-2017
So perhaps this is better used in the 'what's for dinner' thread, but did anyone realize that Louisiana Fish Fry sells a completely unflavored version?

Our Tuesday meal was a fish fry; we caught enough bass for 3 filets per person and I had my trusty old bass pro batterer out there (love that thing). As a group we'd picked the menu and one person ordered everything online for pickup. Well evidently they ordered this unflavored fish fry which is literally nothing but white flour and a tiny bit of cornmeal in a bag. It's 7 cents worth of ingredients that they charge far more than that for.

So I dump it in the batterer, look at it, give it a taste, check the ingredients and realize there's just not jack or shit there. Would've killed for some old bay but again - foreign pantry - just didn't have any. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, cumin and cayenne mixed to taste managed to salvage it. But I couldn't get it quite where I wanted it so instead of an egg wash, I dredged it in Ranch dressing.

I figure an egg wash is just an emulsion to get stuff to stick....well ranch is nothing but an emulsion with stuff in it. It actually turned out DAMN good. So if you're frying stuff up and think it's just a bit on the bland side, try ranch as your 'egg wash' - works really well.
[Reply]
RedandGold 05:31 PM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Bottom makes me nervous because of the proximity to the water pan. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just to say that I avoid it. I'm sure others disagree but that water pan does reach a boil and that steam so close to the meat will interfere with the bark (and I get worried about it stewing the meat more than smoking it).

Another thought I had as I finished that video is that what those tasters really liked about the uncovered method was the 'intense smokey flavor'. And that's fine, many people want a smoke bomb. Additionally, he was using a very mild wood in pecan so perhaps Hickory would give that stronger flavor as well. Personally I make mine very 'memphis style' and while I like the smoke flavor, I don't want it to overwhelm the meat or the rub. It all needs to be complementary.

If you like the very smokey taste, you're probably a fan of mesquite wood and that uncovered method would be right up your alley. It's just not my preference. I tend to stick with apple/pecan/cherry/oak mixes of some sort and try not to be overwhelming with the smoke flavor. So perhaps that's why your presenter and I just aren't quite on the same page.

One of these days I'll have to do my own side by side just to see if my theory is sound, but I'm betting that's part of it.
If you've had the WSM for a while, and have a good hold on the air control aspect, just empty the water pan and cover it with foil. You don't lose anything in terms of the end result, makes cleanup a breeze (just wrap up the rendered fat and pitch it), and you don't have to worry about steam or any other negative water-related issues. Some like filling the pan with sand, but there isn't any discernible benefit versus going empty.

Give it a shot, and I doubt you'll go back.

I also agree about the wood mix. I prefer cherry and apple as a primary (sometimes peach), and mix in hickory or pecan in roughly a 3:1 ratio of fruit to hardwood. I never waste my time with mesquite.
[Reply]
srvy 07:36 PM 07-05-2017
I hardly ever use water in the WSM I have used lava rock, play sand and now those fake Briquettes rock you can wash and reuse over and over. If you havent learned to use the vents to control fire yet then yes by all means water in the pan. For beef I think hickory is the perfect wood but to each there own on this one.
[Reply]
In58men 09:07 AM 07-06-2017
Gotta listen to those with experience. She's on her way. Next is a nice slicing knife, I like the Victorinox with a 14" blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RedandGold 11:39 AM 07-06-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Gotta listen to those with experience. She's on her way. Next is a nice slicing knife, I like the Victorinox with a 14" blade.

Good choice on the Maverick, and the Victorinox slicing knife is perfect for brisket. I have the 12" blade, and would recommend it to anyone.

If you don't already have a good boning knife, go with the Victorinox there as well. It's a must-have for trimming, and one heck of a value.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:31 PM 07-06-2017

That puppy will get you the sex for sure..
[Reply]
In58men 04:42 PM 07-07-2017
Gonna slap this bad boy on the smoker around 1 AM. 10.5 lb bone-in pork shoulder

Wanna see my wood?

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RedandGold 05:03 PM 07-07-2017
Gonna slap this bad boy on the smoker around 1 AM. 10.5 lb bone-in pork shoulder

Wanna see my wood?

Spoiler!

:-)
[Reply]
Nickhead 10:56 PM 07-07-2017

Wanna see my wood?

Spoiler!

cherry rules!!! i've got enough cherry for my next hundred smokes :-)
[Reply]
In58men 11:18 PM 07-07-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
cherry rules!!! i've got enough cherry for my next hundred smokes :-)
It's definitely my favorite wood.
[Reply]
In58men 01:18 AM 07-08-2017
This Maverick is interesting, it's reading 35 hotter (grate temp) than my built-in lid thermometer.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:45 AM 07-08-2017
This Maverick is interesting, it's reading 35 hotter (grate temp) than my built-in lid thermometer.

Those grill thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.
[Reply]
In58men 07:26 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Those grill thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.
I should have bought one a long time ago. I put the pork shoulder on at midnight and maintained 240 grill temp the entire night. I'm digging the alarms it sends if grill temp goes over set points and IT is reached. Very convenient.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:46 AM 07-08-2017
I should have bought one a long time ago. I put the pork shoulder on at midnight and maintained 240 grill temp the entire night. I'm digging the alarms it sends if grill temp goes over set points and IT is reached. Very convenient.
They really are helpful.

Now we all need one of these!

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/

[Reply]
Page 39 of 223
« First < 293536373839 404142434989139 > Last »
Up