ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 312 of 663
« First < 212262302308309310311312 313314315316322362412 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***The Official MMA Thread***
KcMizzou 08:18 PM 07-08-2010
Excited about an upcoming fight? Want to make predictions, or just give people a heads-up that there are some fights on? We can do it here.

(Also a good place to complain, dicuss, and agrue about the outcomes)
[Reply]
alnorth 04:26 PM 06-23-2015
With the international fight week built around it, people flying in from Ireland and Brazil, PPV tracking at a million buys, I don't think there's any way this fight gets moved for anything less than a broken limb or torn ligament unless the government steps in. 2 weeks for something that normally heals in 3-4? He can tough it out.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:51 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by alnorth:
With the international fight week built around it, people flying in from Ireland and Brazil, PPV tracking at a million buys, I don't think there's any way this fight gets moved for anything less than a broken limb or torn ligament unless the government steps in. 2 weeks for something that normally heals in 3-4? He can tough it out.
I think you are right, but at least there is a pretty good co main event to fall back upon
[Reply]
alnorth 05:34 PM 06-23-2015
Brazilian media reporting that Aldo does not want to put off the fight, he's meeting with his team and doctors to try to figure out a plan to heal and keep training the best he can in the 2.5 weeks he's got.

One thing's for sure, Aldo needs to find out who the hell in his team leaked his injury to the media and cut him loose. He'd still need to tell the UFC about it, but he sure as hell would not have wanted Conor or the NV AC to find out about it.
[Reply]
Jerm 05:46 PM 06-23-2015
I read a rumor that a media member was there and witnessed it and leaked it...who the hell knows.

I don't know how he fights if it's a significant rib injury...would the state commission even allow him to fight?
[Reply]
alnorth 05:48 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I read a rumor that a media member was there and witnessed it and leaked it...who the hell knows.

I don't know how he fights if it's a significant rib injury...would the state commission even allow him to fight?
Apparently what he got takes about 3 weeks to fully heal plus another week of rest with anti-inflammatories. So, 4 weeks total. He's got almost 3 weeks, so if there's any way that the doctors can speed that timetable up with some aggressive therapy, (and a legal USADA-approved way to deal with pain) they will try.
[Reply]
TimBone 05:49 PM 06-23-2015

Break a rib or two, and then go out for a light jog. Report back and let us know how significant the injury felt. TIA
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:53 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Break a rib or two, and then go out for a light jog. Report back and let us know how significant the injury felt. TIA
I've broken plenty, never missed a day of work over it though and I have a pretty strenuous job.
[Reply]
Jerm 05:54 PM 06-23-2015
Umm I was saying if that were the case, I don't know how he fights with it so I'm in agreeance....?
[Reply]
New World Order 05:59 PM 06-23-2015
The rib injury doesn't sound that bad, I think he could still fight.
[Reply]
TimBone 06:00 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
I've broken plenty, never missed a day of work over it though and I have a pretty strenuous job.
I wish I can recall who the fighters were, but I know I've seen a few fights in the past where one of the fighters had broken ribs either leading into the fight, or had them busted up during the fight, and the effects were apparent. Obviously it's going to be worse if it happens during the fight. Regardless though, this news tarnishes the fight for me in a dramatic way.
Umm I was saying if that were the case, I don't know how he fights with it so I'm in agreeance....?
Yeah. I totally misread your post. My apologies. Hit me hard with the neg rep.
[Reply]
Jerm 06:04 PM 06-23-2015
Yeah. I totally misread your post. My apologies Hit me hard with the neg rep.
Ha it's all good bro....
[Reply]
alnorth 06:05 PM 06-23-2015
Chael Sonnen basically posted on Facebook that the only way this fight doesn't happen is if the NV State Athletic Commission steps in.

Aldo has been cursed with a lack of marketability, his PPV's have never met the minimum thresholds to get a backend bonus, so this whole Conor McGregor thing has been a financial gift from God for him. He's going to make millions on this fight, there's no way he doesn't walk out on July 11th unless the state cancels the fight.

If anything, this broken rib thing makes him more money if he loses, because although he was probably going to get an instant rematch if he lost, this now guarantees it, and people will want to pay to see Conor defend the title against the "real" Aldo.
[Reply]
TimBone 06:13 PM 06-23-2015
Chael Sonnen basically posted on Facebook that the only way this fight doesn't happen is if the NV State Athletic Commission steps in.

Aldo has been cursed with a lack of marketability, his PPV's have never met the minimum thresholds to get a backend bonus, so this whole Conor McGregor thing has been a financial gift from God for him. He's going to make millions on this fight, there's no way he doesn't walk out on July 11th unless the state cancels the fight.

If anything, this broken rib thing makes him more money if he loses, because although he was probably going to get an instant rematch if he lost, this now guarantees it, and people will want to pay to see Conor defend the title against the "real" Aldo.
Yeah...it's all fine and dandy for him. That's cool.

It's a dick up the ass for the fans, though. Pay $54.99 for a fight that you've been looking forward to for half a year, and if a certain fighter wins, the accomplishment will likely be looked at as a sham until the rematch for which you have to shell out another $54.99.
[Reply]
alnorth 06:19 PM 06-23-2015
Yeah...it's all fine and dandy for him. That's cool.

It's a dick up the ass for the fans, though. Pay $54.99 for a fight that you've been looking forward to for half a year, and if a certain fighter wins, the accomplishment will likely be looked at as a sham until the rematch for which you have to shell out another $54.99.
I don't think the fans are going to be robbed at all, except maybe the super-casual crowd who sees one fight every 2 years.

I would have instantly paid for the Lawler fight, this Conor/Aldo thing is now a drama-filled sideshow that might lead to a sequel.
[Reply]
TimBone 06:24 PM 06-23-2015
I don't think the fans are going to be robbed at all, except maybe the super-casual crowd who sees one fight every 2 years.

I would have instantly paid for the Lawler fight, this Conor/Aldo thing is now a drama-filled sideshow that might lead to a sequel.
Meh. I kinda see some sense to that argument. Not enough to agree with it, though. The main attraction here is the Aldo-McGregor fight, and it's results have a 50-50 shot of being tainted. That sucks. Also, the instant rematch trend is getting super fucking old. But I believe you and I have already been through that argument once.
[Reply]
Page 312 of 663
« First < 212262302308309310311312 313314315316322362412 > Last »
Up