ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>Netflix Price Goes Up $2.00_ What Is Your Pain Threshold?
vailpass 11:55 AM 11-16-2020
Got an email today telling me my new Netflix Premium price is going up $2.00, to $17.99, starting 12/16/2020.

Yet another increase as they boil the frog to the $20 mark. I'll pay it, it's still worth it to me and my three sons. I'm wondering though, at what price point would Netflix not be worth it?

Where would you drop Netflix? $20? $30? $40? $50?
[Reply]
Dayze 04:18 PM 11-16-2020
I want to dump it, but the wife keeps saying she wants t keep it, even though she rarely uses it. I'm the one who uses it the most .

I only have the streaming side of things.
I think, by in large ,the selection sucks . Granted, a lot of the Netflix produced stuff is pretty good, the rest is just ......meh. movie selection. I remember Dane explaining why the movie selection is that way...I can't remember exactly why, but it made sense. $$ etc.

for me, it's about 2% cool stuff, and 98% garbage; either 30 yr old movies, or TV garbage / shows. I want to cancel, and just do some other streaming; haven't made up my mind yet. reluctant if all the others are just as 'eh' as Netflix.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:21 PM 11-16-2020
They cancel everything I like after a season or two anyway, so this might be it for me.
[Reply]
Pants 04:48 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Actually, there are two variants of UHD: 3840x2160 and 7680x4320.

Standard HD is 2048x1080.

But it's not a synonym. One refers to Consumer and the other refers to Professional. Marketing departments have conflated the two terms, which are different.

It's kind of like DAT machines in the early 80's and 90's. "Professional" machines could record at both 48k and 44.1k while "Consumer" machines could only record at 48k.

In reality, the Professional Bit Rate was 48k/24 bit while Consumer was 44.1/16 bit. The reason for this was so that people couldn't copy CD's, which were encoded at 44.1, to a Consumer machine that was locked at 48k.

As I mentioned above, Standard High Definition is 2048x1080 but the displays are only 1920 x 1080.

Also, UHD is a display resolution, not a different encoding mechanism.

Trust me, as someone that scores music to picture and then has to encode the video and audio, then send it back in the required format, this stuff gets really confusing.

The bottom line is that nearly all TV's these days are capable of displaying a standard UHD picture but that doesn't mean that broadcasters are broadcasting true UHD files on their end.
That bottom line really is it. That's all I was trying to communicate regarding the different member levels for Netflix. Your 4K/UHD TV won't be showing you content from Netflix in 4K/UHD unless you get Premium. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 06:54 PM 11-16-2020
Netflix needs to get in the live tv game and just put every one 9ut of business
[Reply]
BWillie 06:56 PM 11-16-2020
Also anybody want to go halfsies on a YouTubeTV membership? 3 accounts for me, 3 accounts for you. Split it. I already have an account but we've been hitting the 3 streams going at once a few times.
[Reply]
Bweb 02:30 PM 11-17-2020
We dropped Netflix last month.

The Mrs dropped it. I never watch it, but the kids were a little upset. Meh....
[Reply]
Mecca 02:37 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bweb:
We dropped Netflix last month.

The Mrs dropped it. I never watch it, but the kids were a little upset. Meh....
I don't have cable so if I drop it my kids will bitch up a storm.
[Reply]
Bweb 02:45 PM 11-17-2020
We have Directv so our kids are fine. The Mrs has Amazon prime so we get that too.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:17 PM 11-17-2020
It would probably be smart to have it for one month, watch what you want then cancel for 2 months and start over.
[Reply]
unlurking 05:44 PM 11-17-2020
Hulu Live + No Ads is going up $10 too. I find myself watching very little Netflix these days. Debating dropping it and adding Disney/ESPN.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 05:46 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The only advantage to Premium over Standard is that 4 TV's can be logged in and watching Netflix simultaneously as opposed to 2 TV's with Standard.

HDR broadcasts (High Definition Resolution) are better viewed on a 4K TV than UHD (Ultra High Def) because commercial TV's aren't made for UHD resolution.

Essentially, it's marketing babble. If you're unhappy with your overall picture, QLED is leaps and bounds ahead of standard LED TV's, which is really where you'll see a very tangible difference in picture depth and clarity.
Just dont leave your tv on any channel with a logo on it for more than an hour or so......

I know burn-in has improved, but it still exists.....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:14 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Just dont leave your tv on any channel with a logo on it for more than an hour or so......

I know burn-in has improved, but it still exists.....
Oh yeah, I have screensavers set up on all of my TV's :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:15 PM 11-17-2020
And not to beat a dead horse but we watched a UHD broadcast last night on Disney+ and seriously, I could not tell a single bit of difference between the UHD and the upscaled 1080p to 4K on Netflix.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:03 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Probably $50.

I have the standard plan, I guess, but just got a 4K TV. I see that Premium includes 4K content and is only $4/month more. Worth it? How much content is there??
I don’t really care about 4K. I do premium because I have 3 sons and one night I was locked out of Netflix because two of them were signed in. Bullshit on that, I switched to the 4 log in plan.

I don’t know what my pain threshold is for Nflix but I feel it’s well south of $50.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:14 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I don’t really care about 4K. I do premium because I have 3 sons and one night I was locked out of Netflix because two of them were signed in. Bullshit on that, I switched to the 4 log in plan.

I don’t know what my pain threshold is for Nflix but I feel it’s well south of $50.
Resolution is overrated to a certain extent.

HDR is a much, much bigger deal. Especially for high-def gaming.

The colors just pop.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up