ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 99 of 219
« First < 49899596979899 100101102103109149199 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
Donger 03:38 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
You could take fertilised eggs / embryos with a device to bring them to term at the other end. Or just DNA strands
Well, since an embryo isn't life, it wouldn't need any life support, I suppose...

:-)
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:40 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
So what is your definition of "improving"?
Eye glasses and hearing aids are artificially improving the species.
Come on, dude. Do eye glasses have rights? Can they vote? Can they make complex inferences and decisions? Answer some of my questions and maybe I'll get to answering this ridiculous nonsense.
[Reply]
Donger 03:40 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
Has anyone, anywhere on earth ever suggested that? If so then please link

[Reply]
Rausch 03:46 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
Would we really be improving the human race or ensuring its destruction?

No, really, sounds like a great idea.
You mean like nuclear energy/weapons, GMO food, and biological warfare?...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:52 PM 02-26-2014
Come on, dude. Do eye glasses have rights? Can they vote? Can they make complex inferences and decisions? Answer some of my questions and maybe I'll get to answering this ridiculous nonsense.
You have a right to believe what you want. This is a science thread. You want to bring politics/religion into the discussion start a thread in the DC forum.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:57 PM 02-26-2014
You have a right to believe what you want. This is a science thread. You want to bring politics/religion into the discussion start a thread in the DC forum.
A discussion such as this might be better off in the DC section, but don't pretend like it's all about me and my viewpoint. You jumped right in asking me questions and jumping my ass for not being all excited about a subject that has serious ethical implications.
[Reply]
Donger 03:57 PM 02-26-2014
So what is your definition of "improving"?
Eye glasses and hearing aids are artificially improving the species.
I would argue that there's a very large difference between using a tool to correct a physical disability (eye glasses and hearing aids) and the ability to download the contents of a human mind into another non-human machine.
[Reply]
Fish 03:59 PM 02-26-2014
So do these digitized and downloaded brains have rights? Can they vote? Can they hook up their brain to an apache helicopter and mow people down? Can I reach over and turn them off if they are bothering me? Can they decide that our meat bag bodies are inferior and wipe the rest of us out? Can they have a billion copies of themselves downloaded into separate robot bodies and be everywhere at once? Can they be hacked? Would we really be improving the human race or ensuring its destruction?

No, really, sounds like a great idea.
Your views on scientific ethics are pretty wacky, dude. It's not all mad science with ethics be damned, like you've tried to make it sound in this and other threads.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:02 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Your views on scientific ethics are pretty wacky, dude. It's not all mad science with ethics be damned, like you've tried to make it sound in this and other threads.
No, it isn't all like that. But there are always outliers. There are always people willing to forgo ethics in the name of progress. I'm sure Hitler's human test subjects would agree with me, if they were alive.
[Reply]
Fish 04:09 PM 02-26-2014
No, it isn't all like that. But there are always outliers. There are always people willing to forgo ethics in the name of progress. I'm sure Hitler's human test subjects would agree with me, if they were alive.
Well that's fine and dandy, but like everything else in the world, there's always gonna be some bad apples. And just like everything else, we don't let the fear of a few bad apple prohibit forward progress as a whole. I think Hitler's human test subject would agree with me too, if they were alive.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:13 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Well that's fine and dandy, but like everything else in the world, there's always gonna be some bad apples. And just like everything else, we don't let the fear of a few bad apple prohibit forward progress as a whole. I think Hitler's human test subject would agree with me too, if they were alive.
I think it's a totally legitimate question to ask if brains that have been digitized and downloaded have rights or can vote. If you transfer your brain to a robot right before you die, does the robot get to carry on in our society just like it was you?

This isn't fear of some bad apple like Hitler. It's a serious question that society will have to address if we go down this road.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:21 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
I would argue that there's a very large difference between using a tool to correct a physical disability (eye glasses and hearing aids) and the ability to download the contents of a human mind into another non-human machine.
And I would agree.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:23 PM 02-26-2014
I think it's a totally legitimate question to ask if brains that have been digitized and downloaded have rights or can vote. If you transfer your brain to a robot right before you die, does the robot get to carry on in our society just like it was you?

This isn't fear of some bad apple like Hitler. It's a serious question that society will have to address if we go down this road.
No, robots will never = humans.
[Reply]
Fish 04:23 PM 02-26-2014

Yeah, and again, nobody is saying we shouldn't or wouldn't do that when the time comes. It's a long ways off, so you can relax a little...
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:26 PM 02-26-2014
And I would agree.
Then why the fuck did you ask the question? Did you think I wouldn't? Or were you just trying to make an argument against my position by implying that this was my position?
[Reply]
Page 99 of 219
« First < 49899596979899 100101102103109149199 > Last »
Up