ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
notorious 08:20 PM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Still, that'll be pretty competitive. I don't expect it'll convert a majority any time soon, but that's a legit option for some use cases.
It would be perfect if you worked/hauled inside a 50-75 mile radius.

The 14 hour charge on 110 or 8 hour charge on a 48 amp 220 circuit is a turnoff. They have to get that figured out.

My diesel 2500 does everything I want, but damn an electric pickup that does everything it does is very enticing.

If they get the charge/range figured out I will pay what I do for the diesels (which isn't cheap).
[Reply]
Lzen 10:03 PM 05-19-2021
I have nothing against electric. Hell, I've got electric yard tools. But an automobile is something entirely different. Not only is range an issue but charge time, as well. So no, I don't plan on it any time soon. We'll see what the future brings.
[Reply]
JakeLV 12:26 AM 05-20-2021
I worry I won’t finish restoring my 67 Bronco before I have to convert it to electric.

I’m only 12 years deep.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:56 AM 05-20-2021
There was an article in the Detroit Free Press the other day about customers, especially in cold weather areas, not achieving anywhere close to the estimated range on the Mustang Mach-E. Turned out that they weren't doing a pre-conditioning on the car in cold weather. i.e. not letting the electrical systems warm up, while still plugged into the charger. By not doing this, their range was about 50% of the advertised estimate.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:58 AM 05-20-2021
I'd probably consider it if I still had a need to drive hundreds of miles for work instead of working from home.

Also, I'm not sure there's a charging station within 200 miles of here so that's a dealbreaker at present.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:34 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
There was an article in the Detroit Free Press the other day about customers, especially in cold weather areas, not achieving anywhere close to the estimated range on the Mustang Mach-E. Turned out that they weren't doing a pre-conditioning on the car in cold weather. i.e. not letting the electrical systems warm up, while still plugged into the charger. By not doing this, their range was about 50% of the advertised estimate.
It's not really the electrical systems "warming up." It's that your cabin heater is super inefficient (just like an electric space heater in your house), so it drains the battery fast in cold conditions. Our Leaf has a function where it will turn the heater on at a specific time each day when it's plugged in so that it's nice and toasty for the commute.

But yes, it's an issue. You definitely get lower range on super cold days (and that's not a Ford-specific issue).
[Reply]
DaFace 08:38 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd probably consider it if I still had a need to drive hundreds of miles for work instead of working from home.

Also, I'm not sure there's a charging station within 200 miles of here so that's a dealbreaker at present.
One of the biggest misconceptions about EVs is that you need public chargers. I've had our Leaf for 3 years now, and I think I've probably charged 3-4 times total at a public charger. 99% of the time you just plug it in at home. (That said, it's pretty important to install a 220v electric outlet in your garage.)

It's much more important to have public chargers along any road trip routes you take than around your home.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:58 AM 05-20-2021
Starting at under 40k and there still being some kind of subsidy will probably have these selling well.

It has enough range to be the daily use beater I need, but unless the commercial version is actually a 3/4 or 1 ton and specs out better while offering other options I still don't think it's a fit for what I really need in an EV truck.

I bet the 8-5 grocery getters around here will be all over this thing.
[Reply]
banyon 09:08 AM 05-20-2021
Never buy new cars, so not for a while. Plus there aren't any charging stations out here.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:29 AM 05-20-2021
It's not really the electrical systems "warming up." It's that your cabin heater is super inefficient (just like an electric space heater in your house), so it drains the battery fast in cold conditions. Our Leaf has a function where it will turn the heater on at a specific time each day when it's plugged in so that it's nice and toasty for the commute.

But yes, it's an issue. You definitely get lower range on super cold days (and that's not a Ford-specific issue).
Oh hell. Hadn’t thought of that.

Damn. That’s a tough hurdle to clear.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:57 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Oh hell. Hadn’t thought of that.

Damn. That’s a tough hurdle to clear.
Yeah, EVs are definitely counterintuitive in a lot of ways. ICEs are pretty efficient when it comes to heating since they largely just use the heat from your engine block. EVs don't have that, so they have to generate it using electricity. They're far more efficient using AC than they are heat.

Kind of similarly, I think EVs tend to get better mileage in the city than they do on the highway since you get a lot of power back from braking.

It takes a while to wrap your mind around it. So to summarize (and over-simplify a bit):

-You don't use public chargers much unless your daily driving is pushing the range of the car. You just charge at home most of the time.
-EVs get worse range (sometimes significantly) in cold conditions.
-EVs get worse range on the highway than the city
[Reply]
vailpass 10:15 AM 05-20-2021
Yeah, EVs are definitely counterintuitive in a lot of ways. ICEs are pretty efficient when it comes to heating since they largely just use the heat from your engine block. EVs don't have that, so they have to generate it using electricity. They're far more efficient using AC than they are heat.

Kind of similarly, I think EVs tend to get better mileage in the city than they do on the highway since you get a lot of power back from braking.

It takes a while to wrap your mind around it. So to summarize (and over-simplify a bit):

-You don't use public chargers much unless your daily driving is pushing the range of the car. You just charge at home most of the time.
-EVs get worse range (sometimes significantly) in cold conditions.
-EVs get worse range on the highway than the city
What about long range road trips? Or 4-wheeling trips in the desert or the country?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:16 AM 05-20-2021
Anyone going to buy the Mustang Mach E? The Mustang that doesn’t really look like a Mustang.
[Reply]
notorious 10:36 AM 05-20-2021
Great, now the heater is a detriment to buying an electric pickup.

Sigh. Maybe when I’m 90......
[Reply]
ghak99 10:42 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Anyone going to buy the Mustang Mach E? The Mustang that doesn’t really look like a Mustang.
They should rebadge that thing as a hamster, or a gay donkey.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up