Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Rashad Fenton Thread*****
Dante84 02:25 PM 04-27-2019
more to come...

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:09 AM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
It's been obvious for a long time that Fenton is a good cornerback. It's always been a mystery to me why he didn't play more.
Because he doesn't have any standout physical tools so there's always been a question if he could play on the boundary.

Guys like that typically do take a little time to develop into starters because they can't really make mistakes. They don't have the recovery speed or innate athleticism to make up for a misstep. So they have to be smart and develop a really good feel for route concepts, etc...

I still question if Spags is a decent DC but I've never doubted his ability to run a secondary and develop DB talent. I think that's why the Chiefs continue to put limited capital into their secondary - they believe (and thus far have been correct) that Spags and company can spin straw into gold.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:16 AM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Because he doesn't have any standout physical tools so there's always been a question if he could play on the boundary.

Guys like that typically do take a little time to develop into starters because they can't really make mistakes. They don't have the recovery speed or innate athleticism to make up for a misstep. So they have to be smart and develop a really good feel for route concepts, etc...

I still question if Spags is a decent DC but I've never doubted his ability to run a secondary and develop DB talent. I think that's why the Chiefs continue to put limited capital into their secondary - they believe (and thus far have been correct) that Spags and company can spin straw into gold.
Spags ability to keep the secondary performing at a high level after the loss of Thornhill before the 2019 playoffs is an understated component of what led us to a championship.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:26 AM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Spags ability to keep the secondary performing at a high level after the loss of Thornhill before the 2019 playoffs is an understated component of what led us to a championship.
Finding a replacement for Fuller on the fly and allowing Fuller to slide into that role was a major accomplishment for a secondary that was at one point counting on Morris Claiborne to play a significant role.

And yeah, it was Fenton that made that possible when he and Mathieu sort of tag-teamed the slot CB role. Even Sorensen contributed in a big way by being a viable conventional 'strong safety' to free up Mathieu a bit.

It really was a nice use of seemingly mismatched parts.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:28 AM 11-16-2021
Fenton is such a nice player to have. Playing a prime position at a dirt cheap price with nothing but a 6th round pick invested, and he's literally been solid since day one. Always seems to be in the right spot.

Love the guy.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:30 AM 11-16-2021
I dont think people currently want Spags fired, im assuming that when they did was when we were repeatedly watching Sorenson give up tudders to guys like Dawson Knox with no adjustment.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:32 AM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Fenton is such a nice player to have. Playing a prime position at a dirt cheap price with nothing but a 6th round pick invested, and he's literally been solid since day one. Always seems to be in the right spot.

Love the guy.
Ward for the cost of a guy you were going to cut, Sneed for a 4th and Fenton for a 6th. That's been Veach's best work by FAR.

And you wonder how much is scouting vs. how much of it is coaching until you see Hughes and Baker go out there and pretty much suck. The coaches couldn't turn those two into anything viable (though I still think Baker could evolve into a Breeland sort of physical press corner due to his length and strength).

Veach has done an amazing job building a cost-effective secondary. He's gonna need to keep it up though - Ward's a FA this off-season, Fenton after next and Sneed the year after that. Gonna need to keep the pipeline going because even finding average CBs for less than $10 million/yr these days is a tall order.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:03 AM 11-16-2021
Ward for the cost of a guy you were going to cut, Sneed for a 4th and Fenton for a 6th. That's been Veach's best work by FAR.

And you wonder how much is scouting vs. how much of it is coaching until you see Hughes and Baker go out there and pretty much suck. The coaches couldn't turn those two into anything viable (though I still think Baker could evolve into a Breeland sort of physical press corner due to his length and strength).

Veach has done an amazing job building a cost-effective secondary. He's gonna need to keep it up though - Ward's a FA this off-season, Fenton after next and Sneed the year after that. Gonna need to keep the pipeline going because even finding average CBs for less than $10 million/yr these days is a tall order.
When you lay it all out there like that and look at the entire picture, it makes it even more amazing.

Is there a corner trio in the league I'd take over Sneed/Ward/Fenton? Probably a few, sure. However, when you take into account the fact there was literally next to nothing invested in any of them and they are all playing for peanuts, I'm not sure there is a group that looks better taking all aspects into consideration.

As you mentioned, at a position where guys like Steven Nelson are getting $10 million a year, it makes all the difference in the world to the construction of the roster. Now we're seeing the same thing at C/RG where we'll have two elite talents playing for almost nothing the next 2-3 years, and hopefully RT will be the same deal.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:06 AM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
When you lay it all out there like that and look at the entire picture, it makes it even more amazing.

Is there a corner trio in the league I'd take over Sneed/Ward/Fenton? Probably a few, sure. However, when you take into account the fact there was literally next to nothing invested in any of them and they are all playing for peanuts, I'm not sure there is a group that looks better taking all aspects into consideration.

As you mentioned, at a position where guys like Steven Nelson are getting $10 million a year, it makes all the difference in the world to the construction of the roster. Now we're seeing the same thing at C/RG where we'll have two elite talents playing for almost nothing the next 2-3 years, and hopefully RT will be the same deal.
Honestly, Steven Nelson is the name I keep coming back to w/ Fenton. And I know his name is mud 'round here since he was a monumental assbag, but he was still a really solid player for us.

Getting that kind of player for a 3rd rounder with Nelson was something of a steal but getting it in the 6th is an outright coup.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:09 AM 11-16-2021
Fenton is tough as nails, never seems to make the really bad play, and can make the occasional big play.

Give me dudes like Fenton on any team.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:31 AM 11-16-2021
Honestly, Steven Nelson is the name I keep coming back to w/ Fenton. And I know his name is mud 'round here since he was a monumental assbag, but he was still a really solid player for us.

Getting that kind of player for a 3rd rounder with Nelson was something of a steal but getting it in the 6th is an outright coup.
Really solid player is a stretch. Barely avg corner is a better definition. I think Fenton is better than he is, though
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:58 AM 11-16-2021
Finding a replacement for Fuller on the fly and allowing Fuller to slide into that role was a major accomplishment for a secondary that was at one point counting on Morris Claiborne to play a significant role.

And yeah, it was Fenton that made that possible when he and Mathieu sort of tag-teamed the slot CB role. Even Sorensen contributed in a big way by being a viable conventional 'strong safety' to free up Mathieu a bit.

It really was a nice use of seemingly mismatched parts.
I'm sure having a bye was huge to realign the secondary, especially seeing our playoff journey would have begun with Derrick Henry and a hell of a lot of play actions if we had the 3 seed. Hell, Spags found a way to make Sorenson look legendary in his defense and even had him lined up on Kittle for significant parts of the Super Bowl. Sorenson had an iffy Super Bowl, but he played well enough -- and that's all that mattered.

Fitzmagic i love u 4ever.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:16 PM 11-16-2021

Sneed's skillset/abilities/makeup are so unusual, he'll have to be paid, IMO. Fenton, unfortunately, may be left out with Ward, although we should have some cap relief at safety (I hope).
[Reply]
RunKC 01:23 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Sneed's skillset/abilities/makeup are so unusual, he'll have to be paid, IMO. Fenton, unfortunately, may be left out with Ward, although we should have some cap relief at safety (I hope).
I think so too. Fenton will get a nice contract somewhere but will be an excellent drafted player in his time here.

I think the same of Willie Gay. He’s been quality but there’s no way we’re paying him a 2ns contract. That’s for Bolton.

Sneed and Bolton are definitely getting 2nd contracts here
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:28 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think so too. Fenton will get a nice contract somewhere but will be an excellent drafted player in his time here.

I think the same of Willie Gay. He’s been quality but there’s no way we’re paying him a 2ns contract. That’s for Bolton.

Depending on his development, I could see paying Gay as well and going young/cheap with the 3rd guy.

Chiefs coaches seem to think they can develop CBs if given enough clay. Hughes and Baker may not pan out, but they certainly possessed the right "materials."
[Reply]
staylor26 01:29 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

The Chiefs have been looking for a LB with that kind of speed and athleticism for quite some time. I wouldn’t assume that Gay doesn’t get a 2nd contract.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Up