ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1790 of 3903
« First < 790129016901740178017861787178817891790 179117921793179418001840189022902790 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:56 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Buh bye.
Bravo sir, bravo
[Reply]
DaFace 09:56 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
DaFace, is there data out there that shows that it was peaking in some areas before the lockdown?
In the U.S.? I don't THINK so (and I don't know enough about what most other countries have been doing to really know). It's hard, though, because everyone locked down at roughly the same time, and most places seem to have been peaking in that April-ish time frame. It's tough to really make anything of that.

It's part of the reason why I'm glad in a weird way that some areas are opening up a bit while others aren't. It's hard to know if what you're doing is working when you have nothing to compare it to. By trying different things, we'll at least get SOME feel for what works and what doesn't.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Maybe but once it gets in your state and you lock down you need to stay that way for 8-10 weeks minimum. For us Missourians he didn't lock down to April 6 so we really need to be continued lock down until July
Maybe.

I think the elephant in the room here is that while we flattened the curve, essentially you've set this up as a slow burn for a longer period of time. Which...is essentially what flattening the curve is. Just hope the hospitals don't over whelm and people take precautions.
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
In the U.S.? I don't THINK so (and I don't know enough about what most other countries have been doing to really know). It's hard, though, because everyone locked down at roughly the same time, and most places seem to have been peaking in that April-ish time frame. It's tough to really make anything of that.

It's part of the reason why I'm glad in a weird way that some areas are opening up a bit while others aren't. It's hard to know if what you're doing is working when you have nothing to compare it to. By trying different things, we'll at least get SOME feel for what works and what doesn't.
Pretty much what I thought.

I've been keeping up with as much info as i can on it and there's some thought out there that that the peak happened before the lockdowns even started. I'm not sure thats the case though.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:59 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Couple of explanations:

America is one of the most visited countries in the World. The top countries in this category have all been hit, all worse per capita than the US...

https://www.google.com/search?q=most...hrome&ie=UTF-8

NYC/NJ - Kept their subway system open and didn't start disinfecting it nightly until 4 days ago. Count all at home deaths as Covid-19 and issued do not resuscitate orders to their field medical personnel. If you take out NYC/NJ America kicked ass controlling this virus, specifically if you compare it to the EU countries...
If you get a. Unexpected growth in deaths compared to the previous years during a similar timeframe and the only new factor is a pandemic , considering other deaths should probably be down because people are staying home ,( car accidents didn’t cause home death) I think it makes sense to assume covid played a part in there deaths. If they use estimates for flu deaths why can’t we with covid.

We already have data on home deaths caused by other factors.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:02 AM 05-03-2020
My issue with the lockdown is it wasn’t nearly strict enough to accomplish what we set out to do, or we had the wrong goals. The former lockdown needed to be paired with strict strict regulations about who could go out, and then mass testing for essential employees as well as as contact tracing. Combine that with 10 weeks of lockdown and zero air travel you can/could’ve shut this down. The way we locked down we only slowed the virus spreading, but we slowed it too much, you need to slow it to just below what hospitals can handle or this goes on forever and the cure is worse than the disease. Opening back up is the right thing as long as masks are worn and we use true social distancing and more testing and contact tracing. Yes we will see more cases, but we can limit hot spots to not overwhelm health care. This will be the best way forward at this point. My fear is people go wild and every city turns into New York in 6 weeks. Now is more important than ever to be smart with your interactions.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:06 AM 05-03-2020
Just the fact they finally opened up doctors offices allowed me to get the basic treatment I needed to treat pneumonia that neither the Dr or I would’ve guessed existed. Telemed wasn’t going to do it, and then this shit lingers, spreads, and gets worse. That’s def a cause for the spikes in deaths, people not getting basic treatment for very treatable ailments and then dying at home as their conditions worsen. Opening up is great, just use some common sense people and we can navigate this shit storm.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:08 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:
My issue with the lockdown is it wasn’t nearly strict enough to accomplish what we set out to do, or we had the wrong goals. The former lockdown needed to be paired with strict strict regulations about who could go out, and then mass testing for essential employees as well as as contact tracing. Combine that with 10 weeks of lockdown and zero air travel you can/could’ve shut this down. The way we locked down we only slowed the virus spreading, but we slowed it too much, you need to slow it to just below what hospitals can handle or this goes on forever and the cure is worse than the disease. Opening back up is the right thing as long as masks are worn and we use true social distancing and more testing and contact tracing. Yes we will see more cases, but we can limit hot spots to not overwhelm health care. This will be the best way forward at this point. My fear is people go wild and every city turns into New York in 6 weeks. Now is more important than ever to be smart with your interactions.

You cannot lock people down like that in this country.
[Reply]
TLO 10:09 AM 05-03-2020
I think covidly broke

https://covidly.com/?showFavorites=1
[Reply]
petegz28 10:10 AM 05-03-2020
Just the fact they finally opened up doctors offices allowed me to get the basic treatment I needed to treat pneumonia that neither the Dr or I would’ve guessed existed. Telemed wasn’t going to do it, and then this shit lingers, spreads, and gets worse. That’s def a cause for the spikes in deaths, people not getting basic treatment for very treatable ailments and then dying at home as their conditions worsen. Opening up is great, just use some common sense people and we can navigate this shit storm.
I cannot believe we didn't open up the hospitals and doctor's offices once we saw there wasn't going to be this apocalyptic scene in our ER's. That is a complete and total failure on the part of our governors.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:10 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I agree, that’s my point I failed to articulate. That’s the only way it was worth doing.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:10 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I think covidly broke

https://covidly.com/?showFavorites=1
It got the Rona
[Reply]
petegz28 10:12 AM 05-03-2020
I agree, that’s my point I failed to articulate. That’s the only way it was worth doing.
I still think there is a argument to be made about going the way of Sweden. Yes, they are worse than us but on an overall basis from a longer term perspective, are they really?
[Reply]
Bowser 10:13 AM 05-03-2020
You're both right. If we were serious about truly stopping this thing dead in its tracks, they should have locked everything down outside the basic essentials like grocery stores and gas stations. NOBODY goes out or goes to work. However, that just wasn't a feasible option in a country of 330+ million, and that's not even bringing up how it would have truly destroyed not just out economy, but the world's.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:14 AM 05-03-2020
I cannot believe we didn't open up the hospitals and doctor's offices once we saw there wasn't going to be this apocalyptic scene in our ER's. That is a complete and total failure on the part of our governors.
The last place i would want to be if i had medical issues unless they were urgent is a hospital with an outbreak, or the last place you want to expose covid to is also a hospital, and with known asymptomatic spread it pretty tricky.

Our hospital is still doing out patient exams , we just screen the patients, but a lot of people are avoid Hospitals right now as well. When people see me or my wife in public they give me a lot of space , I have some people jump away from me like i was a spider.
[Reply]
Page 1790 of 3903
« First < 790129016901740178017861787178817891790 179117921793179418001840189022902790 > Last »
Up