ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 40
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2020 STL Cardinals Thread***
BigRedChief 01:21 PM 02-13-2020
2020 Opening Day Lineup

Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year.....
2019 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320239
2018 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
2012 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619
etc.
All the way back to 2006 WS
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:13 AM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
They’ve been split pretty evenly, each taking a game in double headers.

Carlson needs a day off. He’s pressing hard.
Even to my layman eyes he doesn't look over matched at all in the slighest. He belongs at this level. But, I agree he's definitely pressing. Those bases loaded AB's made it obvious. First pitch swinging on a pitchers pitch? He can fix that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:22 AM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Even to my layman eyes he doesn't look over matched at all in the slighest. He belongs at this level. But, I agree he's definitely pressing. Those bases loaded AB's made it obvious. First pitch swinging on a pitchers pitch? He can fix that.
That first pitch slider w/ the bases loaded had him looking real green.

I'm betting Carlson never once saw a guy walk the bases loaded in the minors and then throw a first pitch slider at the knees. That was a clear eye-opener for him because he wasn't pressing, he was guessing.

He was sitting heat and that slider dove right under the barrel and ate him alive.

I'm not sure there's anything else for him to learn in AAA, but there are still plenty of rough edges for the guy.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:19 AM 08-19-2020

Oviedo is coming, joining #stlcards in next few hours. First to report: @CiberCuba. https://t.co/RbCWzVPYFM

— Derrick S. Goold (@dgoold) August 19, 2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:26 AM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I'm betting Carlson never once saw a guy walk the bases loaded in the minors and then throw a first pitch slider at the knees. That was a clear eye-opener for him because he wasn't pressing, he was guessing.

He was sitting heat and that slider dove right under the barrel and ate him alive.

I'm not sure there's anything else for him to learn in AAA, but there are still plenty of rough edges for the guy.
Perfect year for his on the job training and learning the hard way at this level.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:28 AM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
players can travel to and from Cuba now?

Where there’s a will, there is a way.

ST. LOUIS -- When Johan Oviedo went back to his home in Havana, Cuba, during baseball’s shutdown, he wasn’t sure how long he’d be there or if he’d be able to return to the United States because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Oviedo did know he had to stay ready. Using training equipment on the roof of his home, he was able to stay in shape and continue to throw -- thanks to some creativity. Oviedo’s father, Lazaro, helped hang a blanket with a square in the middle to use as a strike zone, and the size of the roof allowed the right-hander to stand about 60 feet, 6 inches away from the blanket. Lazaro used a wooden beam to keep the blanket taut so that Oviedo’s pitches wouldn’t damage the wall behind it. Taking a staircase up to the roof each day, Oviedo threw bullpens and worked on his pitches, specifically his slider to lefties that got away from him when he was promoted to Double-A Springfield last year.

The impression Oviedo made in the spring helped him get to Busch Stadium this summer. The improvements he made on his roof in Cuba could help him stay.

“I knew this is going to be a big year for me,” Oviedo said. “You always expect something more than what you can do in the field sometimes. I was getting ready for this opportunity. In my mind it was always make my debut this year. I don’t know if it will happen, I just want to be ready if they give me the chance.”
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:57 AM 08-19-2020

No major league regular is seeing fewer fastballs right now than Dylan Carlson. That’s a lot of respect for a player just starting out.

— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) August 19, 2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:39 AM 08-19-2020
How in the hell did this guy fall all the way down to the #33 Pick?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:11 PM 08-19-2020
Question of tools and ceiling. And the vagaries of projecting a 17 yr old kid.

Guys get drafted off their strengths and sometimes simply not having any weaknesses gets overlooked.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:30 PM 08-19-2020
The 33th overall pick is pretty high for a high school position player if you ask me.

He was the 10th HS position player taken. Some of the notables that went ahead of him were Alex Kirlloff, Gavin Lux and Carter Kieboom.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:16 PM 08-19-2020
Has Harrison Bader seen a fastball in the last 2 seasons?
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:19 PM 08-19-2020
It only took about 6 tries but finally the Cards took advantage of a bases loaded situation. Marp hit a GS in the 1st.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:43 PM 08-19-2020
Like I said:

I'm betting Carlson never once saw a guy walk the bases loaded in the minors and then throw a first pitch slider at the knees.
You get 1st pitch fastballs in AAA.

The advanced scouts noticed how he'd attack them and clearly aren't going to let him ambush their guys.

He needs to get a new plan up there because they're still pitching him backwards and until he can punish them for it, they're not going to stop.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 02:29 PM 08-19-2020
Like I said:

You get 1st pitch fastballs in AAA.

The advanced scouts noticed how he'd attack them and clearly aren't going to let him ambush their guys.

He needs to get a new plan up there because they're still pitching him backwards and until he can punish them for it, they're not going to stop.
Isn't it great talking about a stud rookie hitter and watching the growth? We didn't get this opportunity with Oscar.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:31 PM 08-19-2020
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Isn't it great talking about a stud rookie hitter and watching the growth? We didn't get this opportunity with Oscar.
Well, I mean, we got EXACTLY this much opportunity with Oscar...

{knocks on all the wood}
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:42 PM 08-19-2020
Cards bats are booming game 1 today so I predict a shut out in game 2.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 40
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up