ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 15
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:17 AM 08-02-2020
The only show that comes to mind was REM at Sandstone in the mid 90s.

Stipe was battling some bug, and it was the most boring concert I ever attended.

A buddy of mine tops this category though, as he saw some MTV concert that had Milli Vanilli on the bill!
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:20 AM 08-02-2020
KISS at the Illinois state fair 3-4 years ago, Paul’s voice was clearly shot and almost their entire set was made up of my least favorite songs

Proudly KISS Army, but vowed that night to never see them again... hang’em up, guys
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:28 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
KISS at the Illinois state fair 3-4 years ago, Paul’s voice was clearly shot and almost their entire set was made up of my least favorite songs

Proudly KISS Army, but vowed that night to never see them again... hang’em up, guys
Heard a lot saying their last few have been BAD. got killed in the paper here last summer.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 09:59 AM 08-02-2020
I'd have to agree with the OP,i just never could get into Blues Traveler,as soon as i would hear that harmonica on whichever song that was popular,i would change the station.But it always sucks when one of your fave bands tanks a live show when you were hoping for a good performance.I guess i've been lucky in that the shows i've seen over the years,i may not have enjoyed all of them but don't really regret seeing live.One i can think of would be Candlebox,it was probably at Memorial.i only knew of maybe the 2 or 3 songs they play on the radio.Not sure why i went,don't remember much from it other than they were pretty popular at the time,and i guess are still around.My apologies if they're anybodys favorite band.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:03 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Heard a lot saying their last few have been BAD. got killed in the paper here last summer.
They’re greedy bastards without the good sense to know they’re tarnishing their legacy
[Reply]
JD10367 04:22 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

Age is a killer. I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull but the last time I saw Ian Anderson it was like listening to your out-of-tune and out-of-breath grandpa trying to croak some lyrics.

I've seen a shit ton of bands, most of them heavy metal in the mid-80s to early-90s, and luckily I can't think of a single bad band. Probably the closest would be when I saw the band Cake in Syracuse around 1997-1999. The lead singer was very disdainful and picking on the crowd and making fun of them for not being energetic enough (which was ironic since the reason we were like that was because the dude had zero energy or charisma as a lead singer).
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:52 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I really like a few of their songs. There was a lot more substance to their music than most of the hairbands.

It's just hard to listen to the music after that concert. It still pisses me off. The fucker had to know he couldn't sing before he went on. I don't know if he always sounds like that now, or if he had a cold, or laryngitis, or whatever, but it was an insult to everybody who paid to see him that he performed that night.

When I saw Def Leppard a few years ago, Joe Elliot's voice was fucked up. But at the start of the show he owned it, apologized in advance, and explained why; his dad had recently passed away, and his resulting absence caused the band to have to reschedule several concerts too close together. He had simply worn out his voice. While it was somewhat annoying, it was also understandable, and he was honest about it. He did his best. Dokken, OTOH, didn't say jack shit to anybody, and obviously didn't try at all. That fucker just stole everybody's money.
Just by looking at Dons recent pics dudes clearly a bloated, pot bellied drunk ala Vince Neil just cashing checks

It’s always sad to see... went to Vince Neil last summer at the fair, and he was almost as bad as all the jokes about him

Lumbering his big belly around, wheezing out the hits

Originally Posted by JD10367:
Age is a killer. I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull but the last time I saw Ian Anderson it was like listening to your out-of-tune and out-of-breath grandpa trying to croak some lyrics.

I've seen a shit ton of bands, most of them heavy metal in the mid-80s to early-90s, and luckily I can't think of a single bad band. Probably the closest would be when I saw the band Cake in Syracuse around 1997-1999. The lead singer was very disdainful and picking on the crowd and making fun of them for not being energetic enough (which was ironic since the reason we were like that was because the dude had zero energy or charisma as a lead singer).
Sad to hear about Cake, they’ve always been a cult favorite of mine
[Reply]
Stryker 12:08 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:

Ditto on the above \m/

Cake is not the kind of band you get enthusiastic about - it's chill music to relax to. Frank Sinatra, Leather Sofa, Short Skirt ?? Maybe Going the Distance and Comfort Eagle would get a boost from the crowd but that is pushing it.
[Reply]
lcarus 12:58 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Ditto on the above \m/

Cake is not the kind of band you get enthusiastic about - it's chill music to relax to. Frank Sinatra, Leather Sofa, Short Skirt ?? Maybe Going the Distance and Comfort Eagle would get a boost from the crowd but that is pushing it.
I can almost see all the milquetoast white people lightly hopping up and down to "Going the Distance" in my head lol
[Reply]
Bowser 10:35 AM 08-02-2020
Hands down Puddle of Mudd
[Reply]
chefsos 10:59 AM 08-02-2020
I saw Marshall Tucker Band at a bar in 2002 or so. The girl I was with saw them a year or two before and said they were pretty bad, but we were hoping it was an anomaly.

It wasn't. Specifically, the lead singer's voice was just shot to hell and IN THE MIDDLE of Heard it in a Love Song (the one I really wanted to hear) he passed off the vocals to another band member, while blaming the sound system.

So, whenever I hear their music now I can't un-remember that night and it's disappointing.
[Reply]
srvy 12:10 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by chefsos:
I saw Marshall Tucker Band at a bar in 2002 or so. The girl I was with saw them a year or two before and said they were pretty bad, but we were hoping it was an anomaly.

It wasn't. Specifically, the lead singer's voice was just shot to hell and IN THE MIDDLE of Heard it in a Love Song (the one I really wanted to hear) he passed off the vocals to another band member, while blaming the sound system.

So, whenever I hear their music now I can't un-remember that night and it's disappointing.
Seeing as Tommy died in 1980 and Toy in 1993 of the founding Caldwell brothers you really weren't seeing the MTB.
[Reply]
sully1983 11:02 AM 08-02-2020
Nickelback (in fairness to myself I was at the concert to see Staind at the time).
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:46 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Nickelback (in fairness to myself I was at the concert to see Staind at the time).
Wow, 0-2.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 15
1 234511 > Last »
Up