ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Kathleen Kennedy Strikes Again! Obi-wan Series put on Hold
Tribal Warfare 07:29 PM 01-23-2020

Exclusive: The #ObiWan Disney+ series has been put on hold as the crew have been sent home.

More details: https://t.co/r52mbz6J7C

— Collider (@Collider) January 23, 2020

[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:16 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
TLJ - No production issues.
It's worth noting that there were considerable re-writes of Rian's original script and a massive re-design/re-imagining of Canto Blight.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:47 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It depends.

Amini penned six 30 minute episodes. So if they're requesting four 45 minutes episodes, they'll be producing approximately the same amount of screen time.

That said, I find it odd that there's been any limit set on the number of episodes they want for the Obi Wan series because, generally speaking, it's the story that determines how much time is necessary, not some arbitrary number.
Ahh, then that won't bother me...I'm just hoping they get this story right and don't cap it episode wise.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:08 PM 01-23-2020
It'll be back as soon as they can cast someone for the part of Obi-Wanda.
[Reply]
Walt White 11:12 PM 01-23-2020
Maybe I should put my Disney+ on hold.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:20 AM 01-24-2020

Kathleen is taking "The High Ground" on Obi-wan
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:46 AM 01-24-2020
Ewan replied last night during a Birds of Prey interview and he says everything is fine. He basically confirms what I posted last night:

--------
https://lrmonline.com/news/star-wars...-january-2021/

However, yesterday after this story broke ComicBook.com caught up with Ewan McGregor at a Birds of Prey press event. Here is what the actor said about the delays. Apparently it has been all blown out of proportion, from a certain point of view.

“It just slipped to next year, that’s all. The scripts are really good. I think that so now that Episode IX came out and everyone at Lucasfilm’s got more time to look to spend on the writing, they felt like they wanted more time to write the episodes. I read about 80-90 percent of what they’ve written so far and it’s really, really good. And instead of shooting this August, they just want to start shooting in January, that’s all. It’s nothing more dramatic than that. It often happens in projects, they just wanted to push it to next year. It will have the same release date, I don’t think it will affect the release date. They’re still shooting towards having the [series] released when it was going to originally release.”

Then when asked if the show had been cut from six to four episodes McGregor replied,

“I haven’t heard that.”
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:52 AM 01-24-2020
1) KK sucks. And a delay on this sucks just as badly because this is quite possibly the coolest storyline in the entire universe to mine from. Obi-Wan is just such a cool character and they haven't truly hemmed his story in between it's beginning and end points. This is damn disappointing.

2) It was also almost certainly the right decision if the reports in the OP are true. They HAVE had all kinds of issue trying to fix shit during filming or alter it in post. Duct-taping things together is usually a bad idea. My HR director once used the phrase "lets not try to assemble the plane as we're flying it..." and I've used it countless times since. Make sure you trust your plan and THEN execute it.

If there was a lack of trust in the plan, regardless of whether or not said lack of trust is ill-founded, you need to fix it. Even if you're wrong-headed from the start, you're gonna STAY wrong-headed during the filming. So your end product will be even worse if you don't catch it early.

It's disappointing but it's probably the right decision.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:53 AM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
So, the word is that the reason the Obi Wan series has been delayed is that it's too close to Season 2 of The Mandalorian in terms of the overall story arc.

The Mandalorian has begun filming in Long Beach and as it usually happens, changes are made onset to the story or script because things often times play out different while in the filming process than they do at a Table Read. Since The Mando already has a huge audience, the right call was made to stop pre-production on Obi Wan, which basically consists of creating sets, before it was too late.

Now, one thing that hasn't been mentioned or discussed here is that while The Mandalorian has been a huge success in the US, Disney+ hasn't even launched in the UK, France, Germany and many other countries. So the decision was made to fully back The Mando and re-think the Obi Wan series.

This kind of stuff happens all the time but it's exacerbated by the worldwide phenomenon that is Star Wars. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point in time and there's still a chance, albeit slight, that it debuts in 1Q2021.

Deborah Chow and Ewan McGregor are still attached so it's just a matter of cracking the nut and writing the scripts, which could happen quickly or not so quickly. And as much shit as she's taken over the years, I DO applaud KK for trying to get things "right", even though I've ultimately disagreed with some of her decisions.

Oh, and if you guys haven't seen the Pre Vis Art for the Colin Trevorrow Episode IX, don't search it. It'll just piss you off because it's really cool and would have likely provided a much better, although much different, end to the Skywalker Saga.
Well shit.

I should just said 'this'. Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:29 PM 01-24-2020
On a side note, I introduced Star Wars Rebels just this week to my youngest because she was way too young when the series began in 2014.

What I failed to realize then is just how much this series looks and sounds like OT Star Wars. I'm sure that a small part of my renewed enjoyment is watching on a 75" 4K TV with full surround but it's a tangible feeling, IMO.

But unlike the Sequel Trilogy which in retrospect, absolutely and atrociously fails to capture the feel of the Original Trilogy, Rebels does this in spades.

What's really surprising are the "Easter Eggs" in Rebels, such as The Ghost being low on fuel (something that hadn't really been explored until Solo: A Star Wars movie) and in one of the early Season 1 Episodes, the crew of the Ghost stopping the Empire from stealing Kyber Crystals, to which Hera remarks "I'm glad we were able to stop them because who knows what the Empire was going to do with all of those Kyber Crystals".

Well, in Rogue One, we find out that the weapon system of the Death Star was powered by Kyber Crystals, so it was either a great example of foreshadowing or a spark for the McGuffin of Rogue One. In either case, it was super cool to see six years later...
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:36 AM 01-25-2020
Thanks Dane. Good info.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:22 PM 02-04-2020
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Thanks Dane. Good info.
You're more than welcome.

FYI, shooting has been pushed to January and from my understanding, Disney is still on track for a Fall 2021 release.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up