ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Media Center>Disney+ coming November 12th
Sure-Oz 07:49 PM 04-11-2019
November 12th 2019

@adamhlavac: #DisneyPlus launches November 12 and will cost $6.99/month or $69.99/year. https://twitter.com/adamhlavac/statu...883136/photo/1

Full Details in link. This will be awesome. May want to get Disney stock I'm guessing.

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com...-investor-day/
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:34 AM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
They fucking nailed that casting!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:47 AM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Interesting. I love streaming, but we outside the entertainment industry never really think much about how it has affected the average layman worker inside it. That sucks.

Sometimes i feel like with all these streaming content options, there is too much content. Its over saturated which leads to the 'race to the bottom' which you mentioned.
Lots of great content out there, but a ton of bad content too. Its just filler.
I've worked for very large corporations my whole career.

All of the consolidation of big companies into a huge conglomeration is really bad for consumers. In tech, Facebook shouldn't have been allowed to buy Instagram and Google allowed to buy Youtube. It's stifled innovation. Made it 10X harder for a start up to get a foot hold. We, the consumers, got the shit end of both of those deals. Just look around, whats happened since we allowed those mergers? They haven't done or launched any big original content or ideas.

Same with the entertainment industry, Allowing all these compaines to merge has only got us super hero movies, serial action movies and any other mass appeal movie. The bigger the corporation get, the less risk they take. Inovation is out the window.

On the surface you'd think that the consumers having more streaming options would benefit the consumer, But, as usual, these huge conglomerations do whats best for them and don't do any invocation. They want all the money from their content exclusively for themselves. In this case, more streaming choices is really bad for the consumer's entertainment dollar due to the exclusivity of the content to specific platforms.
[Reply]
underEJ 03:30 PM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's an interesting time in the entertainment business and in discussions with people in nearly every aspect of the industry, it's a bit scary.

You've got old school directors like Scorsese and Coppola slamming "Comic Book Films" as not being "Cinema", there are streaming wars and studio consolidations that will change how business is done (and unfortunately, will also dictate wages, which are going down all over town) and there's technology available (e.g, LED systems on set doubling for Blue & Green Screens) which in theory, should benefit the directors, cinematographers, gaffers and actors but in some ways is doing the opposite.

The Justice Department has been asked, by the studios of course, to reverse what are known as the "Paramount Consent Decrees", which is a Supreme Court decision in 1948 that regulated how movie studios distribute films. That law prevented the Studios like Disney, Warners, Paramount, et al, from owning movie theaters. The ruling made it illegal for the studios engage in "block booking" and circuit dealing (the lone exception being the Disney owned El Capitan Theater, which also doubles as Jimmy Kimmel's studio).

The studios have already begun dealing direct with the customer through streaming, with more to follow (NBC's Peacock and WB's HBO Max are on deck, both of which debut next year). Allowing these same studios to own and operate movie theater chains would be yet another step in the direction of the type of monopolization that ruled Hollywood from the turn of the 20th Century, which was not a good era for 95% of the "talent" in terms of wages, profit participation, etc.

That system was essentially in place for more than half a century and it wasn't until George Lucas, who couldn't find financing or a studio for the original Star Wars movie, took things into his own hands and self-financed, created ILM and Skywalker Sound, kept all of the merchandising and set his own Distribution Rates, that the industry began to change.

I may or may not have talked about the "Race to the Bottom", something that began around 2014 and has become rather egregious in the past two years, but it's become rampant. What that means is that people are so willing to "establish" themselves that they'll work for next to nothing and in many cases "For Free", just to get a gig. Sure, the music isn't composed or produced as well as in the past, commercials look "cheap" because they hired underqualified gaffers (the people that set the "lighting" on sets for each scene), cinematog's and directors because budgets have become so restricted due to these massive takeovers and "budgetary restructuring". The problem with people that engage in that practice is that they've set their own rate, "Cheap or Free", while the rest of us, in some cases, take less work so that we don't "Under Value" our work.

I was talking to a close friend this whose company parent company was purchased 2 years ago but just recently, was acquired by Private Equity Groupy that's buying up studio space from Hollywood to Manhattan Beach to Long Beach, who have zero experience in the entertainment business, and just look at the business as an equitible asset. Netflix has a massive amount of debt yet there's a new 13 story building that's nearly finished which sits across the street from their existing building on Sunset, with another campus set to open next year that's about a mile west and just south of Sunset on Cahuenga & Delongpre. Netflix is notorious for underpaying animators, composers and others in the business while never revealing, to anyone outside of a few in the company, how many times each series or film is streamed, which makes it clearly impossible to pay everyone according to union and guild rates, let alone, us composers.

My apologies for the verbosity so in a word, I would say "Bad".
Fucking great post!!

I will add that there is a shot at some improvement coming if all the guilds back each other on new media renegotiations which will begin next year for the first time since we've seen what a monster has evolved. Some of our artists in the new media arenas are getting severely cheated, but they do it to grab the experience and get good lead credits and then try to parlay that into a lateral move to the traditional arenas. Problem for them is, the list of people waiting for lead opportunities on features is decades long at this point because the volume of production in that space was replaced by new media.

Something has to give.
[Reply]
Munson 03:40 PM 11-23-2019

Thousands of Disney Plus accounts were hacked and sold online for as little as $3 https://t.co/6s5v3IRldH

— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) November 19, 2019

Originally Posted by :
For sale: Disney Plus account, barely used.

Within hours of the streaming service’s bumpy rollout last week, hackers commandeered user accounts: locking out owners, changing log-in credentials and, in many cases, selling them for as little as $3 apiece, a ZDNet investigation revealed.

Disney Plus servers crashed early in the Nov. 12 debut, which the company attributed to extraordinary demand for its library of Disney television shows and movies, including the Marvel and Star Wars franchises and Pixar favorites such as the Toy Story films. The service racked up more than 10 million customers in the first 24 hours. Now, scores of users are complaining online that they’ve lost access to their accounts. Many report spending hours in telephone and chat queues awaiting customer support from Disney, to no avail.

“Disney takes the privacy and security of our users’ data very seriously and there is no indication of a security breach on Disney+,” the company said in a statement emailed to The Post.

Compromised accounts are cropping up on hacking forums all over the Internet, selling for $3 to $11 apiece, ZDNet found. A Disney Plus subscription costs $7 a month. On certain hacking forums, ZDNet found Disney Plus credentials being offered free. BBC also uncovered several hacked accounts for sale online.

“It’s no surprise that cybercriminals jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else when there’s a big new consumer launch,” Niels Schweisshelm, technical program manager at HackerOne, wrote Tuesday morning.” This research should act as a reminder to all consumers about the importance of securing online accounts with strong, complex passwords."

Some users told ZDNet they had reused passwords, leaving them vulnerable to credential stuffing, where hackers use log-in combinations gleaned from security breaches of other companies or websites. But many users on social media reported being hacked despite having unique passwords.

This problem is not unique to Disney. Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix have long faced similar struggles with hackers hawking accounts online or giving them away. (Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.) Uber dealt with some account theft last year, where consumers saw charges on their accounts for rides hundreds of miles away. Experts said it was likely that credentials had been stolen during a security breach Uber suffered in 2016, which the company hid for more than a year.

Like most streaming services, Disney Plus allows password sharing, meaning an account can be accessed from different devices in different locations, even far-flung ones. Disney Plus also does not have multi-factor authentication, which would require someone to confirm their identity beyond the standard log-in and password before successfully signing into an account. Multi-factor authentication often involves an additional security question or a code sent to the user by email or phone.

“MFA does not guarantee that only the authorized user is indeed accessing the service, but it does help slow down or reduce the likelihood of bad-actors gaining access with only user ID and password credential,” Jonathan Deveaux, head of enterprise protection for Comforte AG, wrote Tuesday morning. “If this is the case with the reports of hacked Disney+ accounts, then Disney did not do anything wrong per se, but they could elect to look at increasing their security posture by upgrading their authentication program.

Disney Plus has launched in only a handful of countries, including the United States and Canada. A new entrant to the increasingly crowded streaming landscape, Disney’s streaming service boasts exclusive access for franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel and for Disney’s shows and films.

Disney shares were up slightly in morning trading.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:59 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
There were less than 2,500 accounts "hacked" and the account holders are at fault for using the same User Name and Password across multiple internet accounts.

It's called "Credential Stuffing".
[Reply]
Frazod 12:29 PM 12-01-2019
Well, I've definitely got my money's worth out of my $7. In addition to The Mandalorian, I finally bit the bullet and over the course of the last three days (while I've been getting over a nasty cold) watched Captain America Civil War and the last three Avenger movies, none of which I'd previously seen. They were better than I thought they'd be.

I may or may not watch some of the others to fill in some of the blanks. Never saw Dr. Strange, Black Panther or any of the Thor movies.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:37 PM 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well, I've definitely got my money's worth out of my $7. In addition to The Mandalorian, I finally bit the bullet and over the course of the last three days (while I've been getting over a nasty cold) watched Captain America Civil War and the last three Avenger movies, none of which I'd previously seen. They were better than I thought they'd be.

I may or may not watch some of the others to fill in some of the blanks. Never saw Dr. Strange, Black Panther or any of the Thor movies.
Thor ragnork (spelling) dr strange and black panther are all enjoyable. Ant man is a kinda by the numbers movie but it’s Paul Rudd so it’s good lol
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:59 PM 12-01-2019

Just watch all of them, dude. Let's be honest, you don't have shit better to do and most of them are pretty good. They'll probably be all the more enjoyable since it sounds like you have low expectations.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:16 PM 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Just watch all of them, dude. Let's be honest, you don't have shit better to do and most of them are pretty good. They'll probably be all the more enjoyable since it sounds like you have low expectations.
Yeah, I might. At least Dr. Strange. He seems like the most interesting supporting character.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:27 PM 12-01-2019
Yeah, I might. At least Dr. Strange. He seems like the most interesting supporting character.
Personally, he's not my fave, but if he sticks out to you then I'm sure you'll enjoy his movie.

If you're looking for interesting character arcs, I can't recommend the Thor trilogy enough. The second one is a piece of shit, but the first will likely exceed your expectations and the third is possibly a top 5 MCU movie.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:34 PM 12-01-2019
Personally, he's not my fave, but if he sticks out to you then I'm sure you'll enjoy his movie.

If you're looking for interesting character arcs, I can't recommend the Thor trilogy enough. The second one is a piece of shit, but the first will likely exceed your expectations and the third is possibly a top 5 MCU movie.
Yeah, I've never watched any of them.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:37 PM 12-01-2019
Yeah, I've never watched any of them.
Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy? Ragnarok has that same type of vibe. I thought it was pretty cool.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:40 PM 12-01-2019
Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy? Ragnarok has that same type of vibe. I thought it was pretty cool.
Oh I saw those in the theater.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:40 PM 12-01-2019
Shit, I even enjoyed Captain Marvel, despite being completely prepared not to.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:06 PM 12-01-2019
For anyone interested in the history and design of the parks the Imagineering documentary series is really good.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up