ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 115 of 341
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
ghak99 02:30 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
I'm gonna start reloading for shotgun.. Waterfowl loads are outrageous these days.

https://youtu.be/LZIbmcM2oZA
I think you'll like what you find.

The performance of steel hand loads are much much better than factory steel loads. I was able to move up 300fps allowing me to decrease size to increase pellet count and ducks magically started falling dead without needing a follow up.

I got along the best with the Remington 3" cases, but absolutely hated Remington factory loads. Finally talked a buddy who shot them into picking up all his empties.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:06 PM 03-26-2018
I'm gonna start reloading for shotgun.. Waterfowl loads are outrageous these days.

https://youtu.be/LZIbmcM2oZA
In the past I've looked at the "RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, Green". I'd still need dies, holder and other things to make it work, pluse supplies, but at $0.60 a round, it might make sense soon. If I could get a complete kit (that's trustworthy) for ~$200, I've do it in the blink of an eye.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 04:58 PM 03-26-2018
I'm just a poor single stage guy. But I've reloaded thousands of rounds on the Lee Anniversary kit.
I've thought about buying a progressive pres.
But I'm more worried about consistency than volume. So a single stage works good for that.

The real savings is in Match Grade ammo. It adds up fast there
[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:58 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
In the past I've looked at the "RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, Green". I'd still need dies, holder and other things to make it work, pluse supplies, but at $0.60 a round, it might make sense soon. If I could get a complete kit (that's trustworthy) for ~$200, I've do it in the blink of an eye.
That "it might make sense soon" comment is probably the absolute truth. I look for ammo to go through the roof shortly....unfortunately.

That's why I have always "stocked up" every time I see a sale....
[Reply]
LiveSteam 05:04 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I think you'll like what you find.

The performance of steel hand loads are much much better than factory steel loads. I was able to move up 300fps allowing me to decrease size to increase pellet count and ducks magically started falling dead without needing a follow up.

I got along the best with the Remington 3" cases, but absolutely hated Remington factory loads. Finally talked a buddy who shot them into picking up all his empties.
Ive read several others that said the same. After hunting with a friends hand loads. They went right out and got set up for loading their own..
[Reply]
srvy 05:58 PM 03-26-2018
Rock chucker is a nice press a buddy of mine has that one and I showed him how to set it up and use it very solid. Lymon, Hornaday and Redding are also are or were when I searched out mine many a moon ago. I settled on Hornaday and was very pleased. In 2006 when my dad passed I inherited my dads Pacific he called it the iron giant it is a beast. My only problem with lee was its cast and had read about them actually breaking dont know if they have changed. As for dies I only will use RCBS, Lymon and Redding more expensive because they are or were milled from a solid block and the important parts precision polished. You will learn the hard way with alloy hornaday or lee that are alloy and prone to dented or stuck cases. They may have changed by now or they may have all gone that route. I sold my hornaday last year to a coworker so ya missed out sorry. I am talking all single stage as I never felt the need for a progressive outside of a shotshell reloader.
[Reply]
srvy 06:23 PM 03-26-2018
The biggest advantage for me handloading for rifle hunting was I got to choose my type bullet and weight. Also precision and accuracy from the bench so much better than out the box ammo.

My friend and deer hunting buddy sold his favorite .308 whitetail rifle for a .270 win. He wanted to hunt mulies in the mountains and whitetails in Missouri. Problem was it shoots at a velocity that over the counter ammo wasnt suitable for Missouri distances in timber etc. The bullet would blow right through the animal and open out or mushroom to late. He was have deer run off instead or falling on the spot with his 308. He was about to sell it and told him let me try to fix it. I got the heaviest grain bullet in 270 cal Nosler partitions made very expensive also got a cheaper barnes of simular design. Got him dialed in powder type that preformed best at the bench. The next year sucess like the old 308 he was a happy camper and bought himself a rock chucker at seasons end. He still has that 270 aproahing nearly 20 years.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:06 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
Rock chucker is a nice press a buddy of mine has that one and I showed him how to set it up and use it very solid. Lymon, Hornaday and Redding are also are or were when I searched out mine many a moon ago. I settled on Hornaday and was very pleased. In 2006 when my dad passed I inherited my dads Pacific he called it the iron giant it is a beast. My only problem with lee was its cast and had read about them actually breaking dont know if they have changed. As for dies I only will use RCBS, Lymon and Redding more expensive because they are or were milled from a solid block and the important parts precision polished. You will learn the hard way with alloy hornaday or lee that are alloy and prone to dented or stuck cases. They may have changed by now or they may have all gone that route. I sold my hornaday last year to a coworker so ya missed out sorry. I am talking all single stage as I never felt the need for a progressive outside of a shotshell reloader.
I have a one kid's knee surgery to pay for, then we're all headed to Cozumel for some drift diving in June, and, last, they younger son has a new hobby - flying. It's going to have to wait until those bills are paid off before daddy gets his next toy.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:23 PM 03-26-2018
Ive read several others that said the same. After hunting with a friends hand loads. They went right out and got set up for loading their own..
Something else worth mentioning. I have a couple progressives, but I hand load all of my steel loads because of powder flow issues. The powders simply won't flow consistent enough for me to trust them when running on the upper end of pressures.

If you hand load match style rimfire then you already know game. I enjoy using the time to slow life down and decompress, but some hunting buddies despise how meticulous it is and gave up.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:27 PM 03-26-2018
I use a rock chucker for my 300RUM loads. I see absolutely nothing wrong with them.:-)
[Reply]
srvy 08:41 PM 03-26-2018
I have a one kid's knee surgery to pay for, then we're all headed to Cozumel for some drift diving in June, and, last, they younger son has a new hobby - flying. It's going to have to wait until those bills are paid off before daddy gets his next toy.
Understood
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:05 PM 03-28-2018
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...tag=ACQ449302a

Interesting stats for what percentage of each states population owns guns.
[Reply]
notorious 08:06 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:

Hawaii. Holy shit!
[Reply]
kepp 08:21 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:

Missouri needs to step up it's game. 35th?
[Reply]
Frazod 08:30 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by kepp:
Missouri needs to step up it's game. 35th?
I was surprised that Nebraska was so low.
[Reply]
Page 115 of 341
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Up