ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>HBO - Avenue 5
Baby Lee 06:35 AM 01-21-2020
Don't know if really worth a new thread, but CP mucketies have stated a preference for new threads over resurrecting existing.

From Ianucci, it's about a pleasure cruise ship in space where a couple small mistakes in the absence of accountability turns into Lord of the Flies.

I was worried that it looked a little slapdash, . . . pitched as 'the same old shit, only in space' and relying on special effects and jargon for a wow factor. But it looks, at least from the initial episode, to still be cynical and grounded in human nature. And the most promising part is that the dialog is still hilarious and biting.

Cautious optimism for a decent start.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:20 PM 01-27-2020
I enjoyed episode 1, but episode 2 was hilarious.
[Reply]
Kman34 03:23 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I enjoyed episode 1, but episode 2 was hilarious.
I’m sorry but this show isn’t funny and dam near unwatchable..
[Reply]
unlurking 06:28 PM 01-27-2020
Really? I thought the one liners were hilarious this episode. And the the ships new orbiting moons? Zombies!

Love the cast. Tons of actors from some great shows.
[Reply]
Kman34 07:49 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Really? I thought the one liners were hilarious this episode. And the the ships new orbiting moons? Zombies!

Love the cast. Tons of actors from some great shows.
It's probably me... I find the characters unlikable and annoying.. Just not my cup of tea I guess..
[Reply]
unlurking 06:52 AM 01-28-2020
I can understand that. Pretty much every character is basically one big exaggerated (or over exaggerated) flaw. The only somewhat "normal" character is the engineer, Billie.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:49 PM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
It's probably me... I find the characters unlikable and annoying.. Just not my cup of tea I guess..
I haven't watched this series yet but this isn't a dissimilar description to Ianucci's prior HBO Comedy, Veep.

I watched every episode of Veep but found all of the characters to be unlikable and annoying. The show was often cringeworthy for me and it finally got to the point in which I wanted it to end, but it did so two seasons too late, IMO.

Succession is similar in that regard in that no one on that show is likable in any way, shape or form (not even Greg) but dammit if I didn't bingewatch all 20 episodes in about 14 days.

Sometimes, it's difficult to look away.
[Reply]
Up