ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 876 of 3903
« First < 376776826866872873874875876 87787887988088692697613761876 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 06:29 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Let's assume for a minute that this ridiculous statement were correct. So what? Do you really think we can just stop it altogether? It's going to run it's course, through the entire population. "Flattening the curve" still assumes that it runs through all of us at some point, but that social distancing slows things down enough to avoid complete health system meltdown. You can't control it. Government can't control it. Best we can do is test like crazy and quarantine people, and allow some semblance of normalcy to return before we enter the next Great Depression.
If there are thousands of people dying a day due to a disease the economy is going to crater. Especially if there is no confidence in the government to do anything about it, especially if they've decided "Let's all go back to normal and whoever dies, dies."

The idea that people are going to go out and spend money and keep the economy afloat in that scenario has gotta be pretty small. And that doesn't even factor the large number of people who are going to get sick and be out of commission for two weeks. It'd be more chaos than we're seeing right now.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:29 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
https://twitter.com/michaelcoudrey/s...737440768?s=21

Someone embed for me

BREAKING: French government reverses earlier ban on hydroxychloroquine for treating COVID19 patients in light of successful clinical studies showing significant efficacy against the virus.

Hydroxychloroquine may now be prescribed to treat COVID-19 in France.

— Michael Coudrey (@MichaelCoudrey) March 28, 2020

[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 06:33 PM 03-28-2020
Today Cuomo announced hospitalization rates were slowing. He has no motivation to lie about this.
Slowing but still stacking, is my understanding. Hence the eventual need, sometime in mid-April, for ~30k ventilators.
[Reply]
carlos3652 06:34 PM 03-28-2020
Since March 20th, world wide death daily change rate shows an increase of either 13-14 % for each day... that’s super consistent...
[Reply]
O.city 06:34 PM 03-28-2020
Today Cuomo announced hospitalization rates were slowing. He has no motivation to lie about this.
The problem is that it's not like your admitted then leave a day or two later. They usually are in for about 2 weeks or so.

Hence the need for all the new hospital beds etc.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:35 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by RollChiefsRoll:
We’re going to start seeing 1,000s dead per day soon. Hospital capacity isn’t even going to peak in NYC for another 2-3 weeks.

Totally ****ed.
Yeah, I just don't think that's gonna happen
[Reply]
wazu 06:35 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
If there are thousands of people dying a day due to a disease the economy is going to crater. Especially if there is no confidence in the government to do anything about it, especially if they've decided "Let's all go back to normal and whoever dies, dies."

The idea that people are going to go out and spend money and keep the economy afloat in that scenario has gotta be pretty small. And that doesn't even factor the large number of people who are going to get sick and be out of commission for two weeks. It'd be more chaos than we're seeing right now.
There is a middle ground. People working from home if at all possible, avoiding big social gatherings, etc. My tirade started from the idea that we should be enforcing greater and greater measures of extreme shutdown, to the exclusion of all reason, and plunge ourselves into full-on economic depression while chasing a goal that we won't even achieve.
[Reply]
O.city 06:36 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yeah, I just don't think that's gonna happen
Based on?

We're so populated, once they start getting 2 or 3 hundred from other cities, it'll add quick.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:36 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The problem is that it's not like your admitted then leave a day or two later. They usually are in for about 2 weeks or so.

Hence the need for all the new hospital beds etc.
Yes but if the number is slowing it is still a good thing regardless.
[Reply]
O.city 06:37 PM 03-28-2020
There is a middle ground. People working from home if at all possible, avoiding big social gatherings, etc. My tirade started from the idea that we should be enforcing greater and greater measures of extreme shutdown, to the exclusion of all reason, and plunge ourselves into full-on economic depression while chasing a goal that we won't even achieve.
If you can get it under control and it peaks this month, we can start loosening the reigns end of April, early May if all systems are in place to track it.
[Reply]
O.city 06:37 PM 03-28-2020
Yes but if the number is slowing it is still a good thing regardless.
For sure, it's not a bad thing by any means.

But it's the accumulation.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 06:39 PM 03-28-2020
Haven’t been in here all day.

What number is slowing?

Any good news?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:41 PM 03-28-2020
Business Insider is saying NYC is 11 days from running out of hospital space....
[Reply]
petegz28 06:41 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Based on?

We're so populated, once they start getting 2 or 3 hundred from other cities, it'll add quick.
Cause I don't think we are going to see 1,000's dying every day. You also said viruses don't mutate to a less virulent form which is not at all accurate.

So what I am saying is, relax a bit and don't be so quick to jump to the extreme. Even Italy at this point doesn't have 1,000's a day dying.

I won't name who it was but we all know, that said we would have a day this weekend where 1,000 people died. We aren't even at half of that.

Dr. Birx herself said the other day the media's doomsday scenarios are not accurate.

Not trying to argue with you but just saying to just that you are putting the cart out in front of the horse a bit. You may be right, let's hope not.
[Reply]
O.city 06:43 PM 03-28-2020
Cause I don't think we are going to see 1,000's dying every day. You also said viruses don't mutate to a less virulent form which is not at all accurate.

So what I am saying is, relax a bit and don't be so quick to jump to the extreme. Even Italy at this point doesn't have 1,000's a day dying.

I won't name who it was but we all know, that said we would have a day this weekend where 1,000 people died. We aren't even at half of that.

Dr. Birx herself said the other day the media's doomsday scenarios are not accurate.

Not trying to argue with you but just saying to just that you are putting the cart out in front of the horse a bit. You may be right, let's hope not.
Thats actually the opposite of what i said.

I hope we don't get to that point. But it's not looking good.
[Reply]
Page 876 of 3903
« First < 376776826866872873874875876 87787887988088692697613761876 > Last »
Up