ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 167 of 172
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
cosmo20002 08:58 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I think the series landed well.

He had decided he would work his butt off to get his sentence reduced as much as possible and had succeeded.
Then he finds out Kim had fully confessed.
Then on the plane he finds out Kim was civilly exposed from Howard's widow who wanted some justice.
He orchestrates a new hearing, arranges to have Kim present, and then falls on his sword - so that Howard's widow will have a sense that someone is paying a price for his death and maybe leaves Kim alone.
He becomes a prison celebrity.
And he fell on his sword FOR NO PURPOSE. Volunteered for an additional 80 years in prison for no reason. No one would do that, and certainly not him.

Whatever is going to happen to Kim is still going to happen. She confessed voluntarily. She's not getting off because of anything he did. Ridiculous conclusion.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 08:59 PM 08-15-2022
What was with the cherry of the cig being in color. Mishap in the editing room?
[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:01 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
And he fell on his sword FOR NO PURPOSE. Volunteered for an additional 80 years in prison for no reason. No one would do that, and certainly not him.

Whatever is going to happen to Kim is still going to happen. She confessed voluntarily. She's not getting off because of anything he did. Ridiculous conclusion.
I was excited he got the sentence down then he blew it.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:02 PM 08-15-2022
Sigh.........I could use a smoke right about now.

Damn fine ending. For some reason or another I think I can see a future for Jimmy and Kim.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 09:09 PM 08-15-2022
He had been self-sabotaging ever since he got made. it was not one mistake that got him caught, but an endless series of them. Sort of triggered by his phone call with Kim.

*I think* he would have stuck to his plan if he thought Kim was still morally compromised, telling her on the phone not to judge him, after all she hasn't come clean.

And then she did. And that changed his perspective.

Disclaimer: They are all fictional characters - who the heck know what any of them would do and what their motivations are.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:15 PM 08-15-2022

I think you missed the point.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:22 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
I think you missed the point.
Apparently. Explain it.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:32 PM 08-15-2022
Apparently. Explain it.

He’s claiming he fed Kim the information about Hamlin and because she has no evidence she knew or was present for any of it the civil suit would actually be more appropriately brought on Saul should one be brought. And if Kim is sued it’s her word against Saul, who might actually have evidence or more direct knowledge anyways.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:36 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
He had been self-sabotaging ever since he got made. it was not one mistake that got him caught, but an endless series of them. Sort of triggered by his phone call with Kim.

*I think* he would have stuck to his plan if he thought Kim was still morally compromised, telling her on the phone not to judge him, after all she hasn't come clean.

And then she did. And that changed his perspective.

Disclaimer: They are all fictional characters - who the heck know what any of them would do and what their motivations are.
The entire premise of the show is whether you can change your basic nature.

Gus sublimated his nature [personal attachments] to pursue his business vision.

Over the greater story arc, Mike eased his nature to his detriment.

Walter's arc was about how his fierce protection of his family's interests masked his fundamental narcissism and greed, and how upping the stakes in his effort to provide for his family unmasked those fundamental traits.

Kim fundamentally changed her nature in a snap when the depth of the consequences was presented to her.

And Jimmy/Saul has been dealing with the intractability of his nature and how it both enables his 'greatness' and sows the seeds for his inevitable downfall.

James McGill's decision to throw away his negotiated sweet deal was not much different from Kim revoking her law license and becoming a marketer in suburban Florida.

It's not about what he could have 'accomplished' by sticking with his story. It's about finally deciding to break with a part of his nature no one thought he could to erase regrets and discard constant musings of time machines.

The 7 years mean he CAN still do what he sets his mind to. . . The 80 years means just because he can doesn't mean he is compelled to by his nature.

That difference is more important to him than the expected and dreaded prospect of 'victory.' It means those who saw his potential for brilliance but feared his potential for malicious use of that brilliance, were wrong about his potential for change.

This is how he wins.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:50 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
He’s claiming he fed Kim the information about Hamlin and because she has no evidence she knew or was present for any of it the civil suit would actually be more appropriately brought on Saul should one be brought. And if Kim is sued it’s her word against Saul, who might actually have evidence or more direct knowledge anyways.
She voluntarily confessed. So to claim that she voluntarily confessed to things she didn't actually do...Ridiculous.

At best, he took an additional 80 years in prison because he thought it MIGHT help Kim (which isn't reasonable to believe in the first place).

Kim's confession in the first place was ridiculous. I'm sure she felt really bad about what happened, but when no one's after you, you don't turn yourself in. It's not believable human behavior by either of them.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:26 PM 08-15-2022
Few weeks ago I commented about how the show wrapped up all the huge story lines with a few episodes to go. No loose ends. Several episodes to get to a point many shows would have hurried into one finale. Feel pretty good about my prediction. It did indeed end up being a very satisfying ending. From start to finish, maybe one of the best paced shows from beginning all the way to the end. I thought they had one bombshell left but turns out they didn't need one. Simple but satisfying ending.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:29 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
The entire premise of the show is whether you can change your basic nature.

Gus sublimated his nature [personal attachments] to pursue his business vision.

Over the greater story arc, Mike eased his nature to his detriment.

Walter's arc was about how his fierce protection of his family's interests masked his fundamental narcissism and greed, and how upping the stakes in his effort to provide for his family unmasked those fundamental traits.

Kim fundamentally changed her nature in a snap when the depth of the consequences was presented to her.

And Jimmy/Saul has been dealing with the intractability of his nature and how it both enables his 'greatness' and sows the seeds for his inevitable downfall.

James McGill's decision to throw away his negotiated sweet deal was not much different from Kim revoking her law license and becoming a marketer in suburban Florida.

It's not about what he could have 'accomplished' by sticking with his story. It's about finally deciding to break with a part of his nature no one thought he could to erase regrets and discard constant musings of time machines.

The 7 years mean he CAN still do what he sets his mind to. . . The 80 years means just because he can doesn't mean he is compelled to by his nature.

That difference is more important to him than the expected and dreaded prospect of 'victory.' It means those who saw his potential for brilliance but feared his potential for malicious use of that brilliance, were wrong about his potential for change.

This is how he wins.
Nice. Solid write up.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:29 PM 08-15-2022
Great way to end it. I'm really gonna miss watching this show.
[Reply]
notorious 10:37 PM 08-15-2022
If you wanted a real-world ending, he would have taken the 7 years and figured out another way to get Kim out of harm's way.

Decent enough, it didn't soil the series at all, I just don't see him doing it the way he did.

Still one of the best shows this decade. Gilligan is awesome.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:38 PM 08-15-2022
Jimmy’s back and has atoned for his sins. I was wrong there. Amazing.

This was never gonna be Felina. You just can’t top that. But this was good. It took a different turn and still did what I thought
[Reply]
Page 167 of 172
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171 > Last »
Up