ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Ivan Reitman is going to make a Stripes TV series?
notorious 07:05 PM 02-14-2021
Whoa.

There is very little info out there, but sure enough it looks like it's in the beginning stages.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/str...bs-1202617011/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7642182...=nm_flmg_prd_2

One of my favorite movies all-time .
:-)
[Reply]
notorious 07:05 PM 02-14-2021
The loofah scene. :-)
[Reply]
alanm 07:53 PM 02-14-2021
I can't see how that's gonna go over. Stripes came out in 1981. Hardly anyone but people my age remember it. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:19 PM 02-14-2021
I absolutely loved this movie back in the day but I've seen it sooooooooooo many times that I could probably go another decade without seeing it to enjoy it again.

I could be wrong and maybe this will work as a series but I just can't see it, especially if it's on a network such as CBS.

The reason why the movie worked is because of the actors, specifically Bill Murray. It's why Caddyshack and Vacation and Ghostbuster and Blues Brothers all work. It's not because of Ivan Reitman, who was phenomenal in getting all these crazy dudes to behave long enough to get a take and it's really not because of Harold Ramis' writing, even though he was always excellent.

Those movies worked because of Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase and yes, Harold Ramis as the "Straight Man" because each of those guys had crazy personalities that were just amazingly fun to watch because you never knew what they were going to do next. And once you saw what they did, you had to see it over and over and over again to believe it while laughing your ass off the entire time.

Unless the Casting Director uncovers some unknown gems, it's hard to see Stripes as a successful TV series.
[Reply]
notorious 09:21 AM 02-15-2021
I agree, Dane.

I just don't see the series being good, and there's no way it will be up to the movie.

My only gripe is the movie drags a hair after they take the motor home.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:24 AM 02-15-2021
One of my favorite comedies of all time...

"son of beetch, sheet"
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 10:10 AM 02-15-2021
see Gomer Pyle USMC
[Reply]
DJJasonp 12:52 PM 02-15-2021
yeah, I dont think Psycho's "...if any of you homos....touch me.....I'll kill ya" plays well in 2021.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:16 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
yeah, I dont think Psycho's "...if any of you homos....touch me.....I'll kill ya" plays well in 2021.
If you strip away the drugs, alcohol, eccentric personalities, gay jokes, female mud wrestling with John Candy, ransacking and having sex all throughout a General’s home, blowing up their Drill Sargent, the foray into Czechoslovakia and making mockery of the Russian military, there’s just not much left that’s even Feature Film worthy, let alone, TV series worthy.

What made Stripes great was that it basically made fun of not only the Russian military but the US Military as well, so I just don’t know how they’d make an entertaining series when all of the things the movie parodied are pretty much off limits these days.

This makes about as much sense as making Blazing Saddles into a weekly TV series in 20201.

Maybe Reitman’s team hit on a brilliant log line that can be pulled off but color me skeptical.
[Reply]
notorious 04:29 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by :

Russell Ziskey : You could join a monastery.

John Winger : Did you ever see a monk get wildly ****ed by some teenage girls?

Russell Ziskey : Never.

John Winger : So much for the monastery.

Originally Posted by :
Recruiter : Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger : [John and Russell look at each other] You mean, like, flaming, or...

Recruiter : Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.

Russell Ziskey : No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger : Yeah, would they send us someplace special?
This movie is near unbeatable.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:33 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Whoa.

There is very little info out there, but sure enough it looks like it's in the beginning stages.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/str...bs-1202617011/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7642182...=nm_flmg_prd_2

One of my favorite movies all-time .
:-)
Quite possibly one of Bill Murray's most overrated movies of all time.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:48 AM 02-18-2021
Notorious, I'd rather see it spun into a SyFY original movie than a TV series. Dead and Breakfast 2: Zombie Stripes.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:27 AM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This makes about as much sense as making Blazing Saddles into a weekly TV series in 20201
Maybe we'll discover the next Louis Gossett Jr. :-)
[Reply]
notorious 12:44 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Notorious, I'd rather see it spun into a SyFY original movie than a TV series. Dead and Breakfast 2: Zombie Stripes.
Fuck yeah!

Beats the hell out of Anonymous Rex and Mansquito.

SyFy needs some new material. :-)
[Reply]
Up