ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>9/11 Changed us all.
HonestChieffan 07:50 AM 09-11-2019

[Reply]
Setsuna 02:07 PM 09-11-2019
What a world. The babies born that year up to this point are all legal adults now. Wild.
[Reply]
mac459 02:11 PM 09-11-2019
Part of the reason I joined the military, a huge part of why I chose to go into the Special Operations community.
[Reply]
notorious 02:11 PM 09-11-2019
I was driving to my first day of work flight instructing at Oklahoma State U when I heard that a small airplane had ran into a building in New York. The radio guy paused, and said,"That can't be right, look at the hole!" He had completely forgot that he was on radio and said the first thing that came to his mind. When I arrived in Stillwater, they had already grounded everyone, so I didn't have shit to do.

Days after, when the FAA allowed IFR flights, I finished up my CFII checkride over Tulsa. I was the only plane in the air in the area, and 2 F-16s were sitting on the ramp, ready to go at a moments notice. The check airman joked,"You better nail this approach or they are going to shoot us down....no pressure!" When I did my oral exam on the ground afterward, there wasn't a single other person in the building. The school I went to had roughly 40-50 instructors and hundreds of students enrolled. It was very unsettling.

Since my flight time basically went to shit on the first day at OSU, I took a job closer to home for a small company. 9/11 brought me back home, I found my wife, made a great family.

Amazing.
[Reply]
Pogue 02:24 PM 09-11-2019
Looking back, Bush response to 9/11 was pretty weak. Should have hit Afghanistan very hard and left it in rubble. Instead it was a CIA operation to go in and hit selective targets and allowed OBL to sneak out of Tora Bora.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 03:20 PM 09-11-2019
I'll never understand why Bush letting Bin Laden escape in the months after 9/11 isn't a more consistent part of the discussions, either on this day or about his legacy.
[Reply]
Cheater5 03:27 PM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
I'll never understand why Bush letting Bin Laden escape in the months after 9/11 isn't a more consistent part of the discussions, either on this day or about his legacy.

Wow. Something that I agree with you on.
[Reply]
Coyote 03:38 PM 09-11-2019
I think the failings were on us (military). Service leadership cultural style conflicts, SECDEF (administration-ok-direct guidance but his role) CENTCOM trying to show Northern Alliances could fight for their country, etc.

SOCOM as a supporting Command role being pushed hard, no TSOC SOCOM Command structure then. Some of the then friction besides the terrain and enemy in Tora Bora

Again from Jim’s book. He Commanded TF58 then:

“My view is a bit different. We in the military missed the opportunity, not the President, who properly deferred to his senior military commander on how to carry out the mission. Looking at myself, perhaps I hadn’t invested the time...

...When you are engaged at the tactical level, you grasp your own reality so clearly it’s tempting to assume that everyone above you sees it in the same light. Wrong. When you’re the senior commander in a deployed force, time spent sharing your appreciation of the situation on the ground with your seniors is like time spent on reconnaissance: it’s seldom wasted. If I had it to do over again...

...In his memoir, General Franks explained why he chose not to employ my Marines. “We don’t want to repeat the Soviets’ mistakes,” he wrote. “There’s nothing to be gained by blundering around those mountains and gorges with armor battalions chasing a lightly armed enemy.

I didn’t have armor; I had fast-moving light infantry and Bob Harward’s Special Forces, all heliborne, reinforced by agile wheeled light armored vehicles. By closing off the mountain passes with overwatch teams and then attacking with well-supported infantry, we were ready to squeeze Al Qaeda in a vise.

Here is how the White House correspondent for The New York Times described what happened: “Hank Crumpton, who was leading the CIA’s operations in Afghanistan, brought his concerns to the White House, imploring Bush to send the marines to block escape routes…. Bush deferred to Franks…. In his desire to let the military call the shots, Bush had missed the best opportunity of his entire presidency to catch America’s top enemy.”
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:41 PM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
I'll never understand how the CIA and FBI both had leads on these attacks and instead of taking action they just kinda filed into the 'no big deal' folder.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:46 PM 09-11-2019
Thread title is false.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:50 PM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Thread title is false.
No it isn't.
[Reply]
eDave 04:17 PM 09-11-2019
I was looking forward to all the 9/11 shows on the History Channel today.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 04:20 PM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
No it isn't.
So you didn't turn into a nonsense-spewing gasbag until after 9/11?
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:26 PM 09-11-2019
So you didn't turn into a nonsense-spewing gasbag until after 9/11?
You spelled 'Truth' wrong.

And while watching government incompetence combine with radical islamic lunatics to murder 3000 people probably had no impact on you given your sociopathic tendencies, it DID impact most of us. The ones who aren't wholly demented and nihilistic.

And it STILL changed you because it was used as an excuse to start unrelated wars and infringe on civil liberties. Those things impacted you even if you were celebrating them.

This kind of apathetic nihilism isn't a virtue. You know that right?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 04:30 PM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
You spelled 'Truth' wrong.

And while watching government incompetence combine with radical islamic lunatics to murder 3000 people probably had no impact on you given your sociopathic tendencies, it DID impact most of us. The ones who aren't wholly demented and nihilistic.

And it STILL changed you because it was used as an excuse to start unrelated wars and infringe on civil liberties. Those things impacted you even if you were celebrating them.

This kind of apathetic nihilism isn't a virtue. You know that right?
So by "change" you really mean "impact." Got it.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:31 PM 09-11-2019
So by "change" you really mean "impact." Got it.
What the **** do you think is the result of something that makes an impact you infantile nitwit?

Cause and effect? Familiar with the phenomenon?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up