Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:24 PM 05-10-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
WTF? Gyrko is hot right now. He’s hit .500 against his old team. Why would you start Carpenter and his .163 average over Gyrko? And bat him second?:-) Carpenter hasn’t even come close to putting the ball in play. Struck out twice by the 3 rd inning. Can someone explain how this is a good strategy?
Now 3 strikeouts without even coming close to putting a ball in play.
[Reply]
Miles 09:39 PM 05-10-2018
I haven’t been able to watch many of the games this year so far but still following along. Gyrko not playing at least some of the time over Carpenter has been baffling.
[Reply]
Miles 09:41 PM 05-10-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
The Cardinals need to employ a modified six man rotation where Carlos starts every fifth day and everyone else starts on five or six days rest. It would significantly curtail the wear on Weaver and Flaherty, and take Mikolas back to the routine he was used to in Japan while also giving Wacha's nitoglycerin scapula more rest.
This makes too much sense.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:06 PM 05-10-2018
Gyorko will play against the lefties this series.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:27 PM 05-10-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Gyorko will play against the lefties this series.
so bat the guy hitting .324 for the season with an average against this team of .500 only play part time but let the guy with 105 AB’s this season hitting .152 play full time and hit 2nd? I feel like I’m in an alternate reality.
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:13 AM 05-11-2018
so bat the guy hitting .324 for the season with an average against this team of .500 only play part time but let the guy with 105 AB’s this season hitting .152 play full time and hit 2nd? I feel like I’m in an alternate reality.
No most people see what you see, Matheny lives in an alternate reality.

Before long I am sure Carpenter will need another "mental break" and hit the DL.

3 Runs scored in the lat 3 games combined.
[Reply]
O.city 07:08 AM 05-11-2018
Carpenter needs to keep doing what he’s doing and th babip will turn around for him
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:16 AM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Carpenter needs to keep doing what he’s doing and th babip will turn around for him
He is striking out way too much though because he would rather try to work a walk than swing the bat. I'm not buying that its just bad luck.

On another note I am coming around to the idea of trading for Machado even if it is just for a short term rental since that shouldn't cost too much talent.

They have a shot to make a run this year with someone like Machado in the middle of the lineup. They need a freaking #3 hitter.
[Reply]
VAChief 07:17 AM 05-11-2018
He can do that in a reduced role. Let him start 3 days a week, once for Gyorko, once for Wong, and once for Martinez. If he doesn’t turn it around by June you reevaluate.
[Reply]
VAChief 07:23 AM 05-11-2018
Flaherty is just wasting innings in AAA. Any idea why he’s not being called up?
Probably want to have the extra reliever. He would be sitting until the next start. I like that he throws strikes, but he isn’t at least in my opinion going to be a top end starter. I see him as a middle to back end starter (e.g. Suppan, Lohse).
[Reply]
O.city 07:35 AM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
He is striking out way too much though because he would rather try to work a walk than swing the bat. I'm not buying that its just bad luck.

On another note I am coming around to the idea of trading for Machado even if it is just for a short term rental since that shouldn't cost too much talent.

They have a shot to make a run this year with someone like Machado in the middle of the lineup. They need a freaking #3 hitter.
The numbers say it’s bad luck. What aren’t you buying
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:00 AM 05-11-2018
His K rate. He strikes out way more than he walks and since he isn't hitting for power at all its not a reasonable trade off. Like I said earlier he would rather walk than swing the bat.

I get the numbers show he is hitting into bad luck but I doubt that goes up a lot because part of that is he isn't even hitting the ball hard.
[Reply]
O.city 08:31 AM 05-11-2018
His K rate. He strikes out way more than he walks and since he isn't hitting for power at all its not a reasonable trade off. Like I said earlier he would rather walk than swing the bat.

I get the numbers show he is hitting into bad luck but I doubt that goes up a lot because part of that is he isn't even hitting the ball hard.
So if we could see numbers in his exit velocity, we could determine if he’s hitting it hard or not but I can’t seem to find that anywhere.

His k rate is definitely higher, but a fair amount of that has been poor umpires strike zone or atleast I think I remember reading that
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:42 AM 05-11-2018
we are a 1/4 way through the season at the end of next week. This isn’t a slow start. Hitting a ball hard into the teeth of a defensive shift isn’t bad luck.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:43 AM 05-11-2018

you think Bader, Martinez and Kelly get him?
[Reply]
Page 69 of 301
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379119169 > Last »
Up