ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 381 of 1208
« First < 281331371377378379380381 382383384385391431481881 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:16 AM 12-14-2016
Here's a pic of that venison stew. This is leftovers.

The meat given to me was already cut into rather small chunks of stew meat.

Homemade biscuits and a salad.
Attached: Venison StewRSF#.png (686.4 KB) 
[Reply]
scho63 10:47 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Buzz:
Last dish with the meatballs, freezing the rest.
The spaghetti to meatballs ratio looks a little off.

More like meatballs with spaghetti. :-)

Love me sweet Italian sausage a little better than meatballs but will take either or both.

I take the sausage and brown as much as I can in a skillet with just a touch of olive oil, then drop them into the simmering sauce to finish cooking for about an hour. I also take the sausage grease and add to the sauce for added flavor.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:17 AM 12-14-2016
anyone have a killer stuffed mushroom recipe?
[Reply]
threebag 01:36 PM 12-14-2016
I like to take a little left over stuffing mix in some crab meat sprinkle light with fine shred jack

I put a little butter in first
[Reply]
Fish 09:18 PM 12-14-2016
Got a company Christmas potluck tomorrow. I'm bringing venison backstrap medallions from my hunt 2 weeks ago. Doing a test run tonight.

[Reply]
ptlyon 08:40 AM 12-15-2016
Looks amazing Fish!

Someone brought the same to our Xmas party Saturday. That one was smoked and was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

He said it took 3 people to produce it: his son ran it over with his truck, he processed it, and his brother smoked it.
[Reply]
tooge 08:49 AM 12-15-2016
I eat venison quite a bit. I think a venison backstrap (loin) marinated in soy/garlic/olive oil and grilled to medium rare is the best piece of meat I've ever eaten.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 08:55 AM 12-15-2016
Yooouuuurrr love is like raaaawwww venison.....

Dinny
[Reply]
scho63 09:49 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Fish:
Got a company Christmas potluck tomorrow. I'm bringing venison backstrap medallions from my hunt 2 weeks ago. Doing a test run tonight.

Looks wonderful. I had the best venison about 25 years ago at my local public golf course, never expected that.

How do you prepare it and is venison a good meat to marinate to tame down the gaminess?
:-)
[Reply]
Fish 10:06 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
Looks wonderful. I had the best venison about 25 years ago at my local public golf course, never expected that.

How do you prepare it and is venison a good meat to marinate to tame down the gaminess? :-)
The taste comes down to several factors. How much the deer was running at the time of death, and how it was processed. The more the deer runs after you shoot it, the more lactic acid builds up in the muscles. That creates some gamey taste. But more importantly is the processing. With deer, you don't want any fat whatsoever in the meat you're cooking. Unlike beef, deer is so lean that fat tastes horrible. It's the biggest source of the gamey flavor and where inexperienced cooks mess it up. Trim absolutely every bit of fat and sinew off, and be sure to pat it completely dry. Do that, and you honestly won't need any marinate to tame any gamey taste because there isn't any. People usually cannot believe this after having shitty cooked venison, but it's true. I still marinate it with just a bit of red wine and Allegro Hot and Spicy, but that's just to add a slight bit of flavor. Put the whole strap on the grill at very high heat. > 400. Seared about 4-5 minutes per side. Wrap and let rest for 15 minutes. Just be sure not to overcook. It's really lean, so just a minute or two overcooking it can be disastrous. Sliced into medallions of desired thickness.
[Reply]
scho63 12:16 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Fish:
The taste comes down to several factors. How much the deer was running at the time of death, and how it was processed. The more the deer runs after you shoot it, the more lactic acid builds up in the muscles. That creates some gamey taste. But more importantly is the processing. With deer, you don't want any fat whatsoever in the meat you're cooking. Unlike beef, deer is so lean that fat tastes horrible. It's the biggest source of the gamey flavor and where inexperienced cooks mess it up. Trim absolutely every bit of fat and sinew off, and be sure to pat it completely dry. Do that, and you honestly won't need any marinate to tame any gamey taste because there isn't any. People usually cannot believe this after having shitty cooked venison, but it's true. I still marinate it with just a bit of red wine and Allegro Hot and Spicy, but that's just to add a slight bit of flavor. Put the whole strap on the grill at very high heat. > 400. Seared about 4-5 minutes per side. Wrap and let rest for 15 minutes. Just be sure not to overcook. It's really lean, so just a minute or two overcooking it can be disastrous. Sliced into medallions of desired thickness.
Thank you very much!

My sister's husband is a HUGE hunter of all kinds of game and he has a lot of venison in the freezer.
[Reply]
tooge 12:38 PM 12-15-2016
In my opinion, the biggest factor, right above how much stress the animal goes through right before death (running for example), is the status of the animal. Bucks during the rut are all full of hormones and the meat tastes "goaty". Younger deer are more tame tasting than older deer. Does are more tame tasting than bucks, unless it's a real young buck and a real old doe. I don't even shoot big bucks anymore. I hunt for the meat and the love of the hunt, so I shoot second season bucks and does, and the meat tastes live veal. It's amazing.
[Reply]
threebag 12:46 PM 12-15-2016
They eat better than the meat you are buying at the store.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:55 PM 12-15-2016
I have another question about venison.

One of the vacuum sealed packages I thawed out, had a lighter colored meat and was cut into what looked like knuckles...a small round piece of bone with a little bit of meat around it the color of veal. The stew meat and cutlets were a much darker meat.

I'm not going to cook that, because I don't what the hell it is.
[Reply]
tooge 01:23 PM 12-15-2016
I don't know what that would be, but venison is all very dark red looking meat. That sounds like a veal shank or something. Maybe mispackaged.
[Reply]
Page 381 of 1208
« First < 281331371377378379380381 382383384385391431481881 > Last »
Up