ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2024 of 3903
« First < 1024152419241974201420202021202220232024 202520262027202820342074212425243024 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
oldandslow 06:47 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Neat, so thats the end of the conversation those people are the only opinions?
Not all opinions are equal. Period.

Hamas and Cdcox are very bright men who have experience in the field and/or a research background.

That I should value the opinion of a guy (not you particularly, but in general) who knows nothing about research or immunology at the same level is ludicrous.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:50 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
At my university, a reduced level of research has been continued throughout the pandemic. We are starting to ramp up, still within a reduced level.

In the lab, more than 6 feet away: no facial covering required
In the lab, closer than 6 feet: facial covering required
In a common area like a hallway, stairway, etc: facial covering required

Every one is expected to disinfect shared items and commonly touched surfaces. Work at home if you can. The density of people in any building will be far less than a grocery store*. Just good common sense at work here. Yes, it takes a lot of effort to achieve. But this is the most serious situation we have faced as a nation since WWII. Greater than the housing crisis, 911, dot-com crash, gulf wars, Vietnam, Watergate, race riots, assassinations. Get with it people. No one is being asked to storm the beaches of Normandy here. Just mask up when you are in an indoor public area. We used to be able to pull together.

*RANT My only public outing since mid-march other than trying to get take out at Cheese Cake Factory on Mother's Day. It was a total disaster. Based on their web page, I expected my food would be ready in 35 minutes and curbside delivery. Sounds reasonable, I'm in. I pull up for curbside and they refuse to answer the phone. I finally go inside and there are 20 customers milling about the lobby. No one is in charge. No clear indication of how to find your food or how to tell anyone you are here. Ultimately, over an hour to get my food. I had to go inside 3 different times, and made several sarcastic, passive aggressive comments in a loud voice whenever I was inside. I think the "manager" ran away at one point rather than owning the situation. In the end they screwed my order over, which is the least of the offenses. In order of importance to me: 1) Don't advertise curbside service during a pandemic if you can't deliver. 2) Pick up the GD phone to tell me what is going on. 3) Have someone in charge when I walk inside against my will. 4) Anticipate a rush on Mother's day and staff accordingly. 5) Reflect accurate food-ready times on your app before you hold my money hostage. 6) Get my order right.

For the record, the Family Fare grocery store I usually go into is the least busy grocery store I've ever seen in my life. It's very easy to stay 6 feet away from other people. So I'm not going to waste a mask when I'm going in there. They're still a bit difficult to get so I feel like I have to be judicious on when I use one.

I don't disagree with anything else in your post, it's all very fair and sensible. And yes, if these restaurants want to stay in business, they need to get their shit together. I had a similar experience with Oklahoma Joe's last Saturday. I fucking love that place and want them to stay around and am perfectly happy with curbside takeout. But for crissakes, get more than one person working on the phone. That's a critical element in the process and without it, the system will break down.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:58 AM 05-13-2020
Neat, so thats the end of the conversation those people are the only opinions?
I didn’t say that , it is just more information to do with as you please .
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:24 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by oldandslow:

Hamas and Cdcox are very bright men who have experience in the field and/or a research background.

That I should value the opinion of a guy (not you particularly, but in general) who knows nothing about research or immunology at the same level is ludicrous.
My opinion actually has no bearing on what we or you actually do. Hamas and Cdcox are both very smart individuals. But thats just a couple of opinions.

One of my good friends is an anesthetist, my daughters mother is a nurse practitioner married to a doctor, etc...etc....everyone we know has opinions and they probably all differ to some degree.

My original point was calling people stupid assholes because they disagree on this is pretty fucking pretentious. The debate is not settled and I don't see how it could be when you see how this is all very different depending on where you live.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:35 AM 05-13-2020
My opinion actually has no bearing on what we or you actually do. Hamas and Cdcox are both very smart individuals. But thats just a couple of opinions.

One of my good friends is an anesthetist, my daughters mother is a nurse practitioner married to a doctor, etc...etc....everyone we know has opinions and they probably all differ to some degree.

My original point was calling people stupid assholes because they disagree on this is pretty ****ing pretentious. The debate is not settled and I don't see how it could be when you see how this is all very different depending on where you live.
There is also a difference between Dr Fauci and my wife when it comes to an opinion on this subject as well, I think my wife is a smart Doctor but I wouldn't take her word over an Epidemiologist/Respirologist on this subject .
[Reply]
stumppy 07:41 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by oldandslow:

This needs to be posted from time to time.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:22 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
There is also a difference between Dr Fauci and my wife when it comes to an opinion on this subject as well, I think my wife is a smart Doctor but I wouldn't take her word over an Epidemiologist/Respirologist on this subject .
Sorry but Fauci has pulled a 180 on more than 1 topic during all of this so as smart as he is, his word alone is not the end all.
[Reply]
Donger 08:24 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Sorry but Fauci has pulled a 180 on more than 1 topic during all of this so as smart as he is, his word alone is not the end all.
Will you name one of these 180s?
[Reply]
Mecca 08:25 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Also why in our society is it frowned upon to change your view when more information comes out?

I don't think digging your heels in and being a stubborn jackass is an admirable trait personally.
[Reply]
ChiefRocka 08:29 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Fauci wore blackface in the 50's. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 08:34 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Also why in our society is it frowned upon to change your view when more information comes out?

I don't think digging your heels in and being a stubborn jackass is an admirable trait personally.
Then you should stop doing it as well as making assumptions.

Aside from your ridiculous straw man argument, no one is saying he isn't allowed to change his mind. The point is one man's word is not the gospel.
[Reply]
Spott 08:41 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
So you are telling me all the people out in public wearing masks have not touched them with unsanitized hands getting them on and off before using them again?

I am still seeing only about 3 out of 10 wearing them out in public. Some have them around their necks because they itch. Some are wearing gloves with their mask and then throwing them in the parking lots so others have to pick them up.

Masks seem like more of a placebo to make people feel like they are making a difference- with most people not using them properly while also cross-contaminating them, causing more risk to their health.

Just like the partial closing of the economy- if everything is not done by 100% of the population- it drastically reduces the effectiveness of the measures.
I see about the same percentage of people wearing them. It seems to be a higher percentage of people wearing them at Whole Foods, but everywhere else is less than half. I see many people with masks on, including the instacart shoppers, grabbing 5 or 6 apples, oranges, etc. before deciding on which one they want so it really just seems like the mask thing is just defeating the purpose.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:41 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Your wife probably has 100x more real world experience than Fauci. I also think its interesting the economist views are ignored while doctors who continually repeat "we don't know yet" are taken as gospel.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:46 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
So you are telling me all the people out in public wearing masks have not touched them with unsanitized hands getting them on and off before using them again?

I am still seeing only about 3 out of 10 wearing them out in public. Some have them around their necks because they itch. Some are wearing gloves with their mask and then throwing them in the parking lots so others have to pick them up.

Masks seem like more of a placebo to make people feel like they are making a difference- with most people not using them properly while also cross-contaminating them, causing more risk to their health.

Just like the partial closing of the economy- if everything is not done by 100% of the population- it drastically reduces the effectiveness of the measures.
This is why the mask thing is a waste of time.

The only 100% effective masks are the medical/N95 masks and the CDC has emphasized they don't want the general public to wear those type of masks.
[Reply]
Donger 08:47 AM 05-13-2020
Masks don't do jack shit!
[Reply]
Page 2024 of 3903
« First < 1024152419241974201420202021202220232024 202520262027202820342074212425243024 > Last »
Up