Some female (name) 0 0%
Some other male (name) 45 33.58%
TRUMP! 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>G.O.A.T.: pick your greatest athlete of all time
Prison Bitch 07:14 PM 04-14-2019
With Tiger’s Masters win today, Twatter is asking if he’s the greatest athlete ever. This poll asks: name you greatest athlete you’ve seen. (So Jim Brown, Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens etc all off the table)

Use whatever criteria you wish. Can only pick one.
[Reply]
old_geezer 10:44 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by tyton75:
Bo Jackson, but there was a great argument for Wilt earlier so I would consider him as well.

I just define "athlete" as someone who is so gifted that they could play any sport and excel. I can't think of a better example of that than Bo Jackson.
Jim Thorpe.
[Reply]
Braincase 10:52 AM 04-15-2019
The best today would be a Frenchman named Kevin Mayer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mayer

All-time? That's a more difficult question.
[Reply]
oldman 10:54 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
While I've never seen Thorpe or Jim Brown play football.

Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete my eyes ever witnessed.

Freak of nature.........super hero........you name it. He could do things no other human could do.
I did see Jim Brown play, but Bo beats anyone I've ever seen. You could make an argument for Wilt, but again, could he have hit a 100 MPH fastball, run a sub 4.2 40, or did he dominate mainly due to his height? Great player for sure, but no Bo.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:06 AM 04-15-2019
The problem I have with floating wilt is the problem I have with anyone thinking Marino even belongs in the conversation for G.QB.OAT. Or even Lebron who I think is no doubt the most gifted athlete the NBA has ever seen. It confuses individual accomplishment with team achievements. Sports IQ and leadership has to factor in. I just can't back a person who puts up big stats but was a shitty teammate or who came up small in big moments. And I find it hard to put sports in there where you're kind of just competing with yourself. Every generation has a few wildly great athletes. The rarity is an elite athlete matched with elite intangibles. Russell Westbrook is one hell of a player but doesn't win. Tom Brady is one hell of an IQ player and leader but doesn't have elite physical talent. There are a select few athletes in history who have been elite at both. Bo unfortunately never got that chance to show if he had that. Have a bad feeling Mike trout will go down that road too.
[Reply]
srvy 11:29 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by redhed:
BruceCaitlin Jenner - Olympic Decathlon Champion
Fixed it
[Reply]
srvy 11:33 AM 04-15-2019
Those men and women who cross country ski then stop and there heartbeat instantly come down shoot and knockdown some targets and off the ski to next shooting stage. That just amazes me and I bet Bo cant do that.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:42 AM 04-15-2019
Bo
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:45 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Braincase:
The best today would be a Frenchman named Kevin Mayer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mayer

All-time? That's a more difficult question.
Never heard of him, but his wiki page is scary.

10.55 100m
26’ long jump
7’ high jump
17’ pole vault
4:14 1500m

That’s outrageous
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:51 AM 04-15-2019
Could we make an argument for our own Christian Okoye? He certainly had power, he was a near-Olympian in the hammer throw, and he was fast with good acceleration. As near as I can tell, his only weakness was mailing autographed photos.
[Reply]
Chiefaholic 03:47 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Not sure why LeBron James is not on the list over Jordan when he's undeniably had the better career than him already statistically and isn't even close to being done.
Because head to head in their primes, Jordan would b****slap James all over the court.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:51 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefaholic:
Because head to head in their primes, Jordan would b****slap James all over the court.
Jordan is more skilled and accomplished IMO, but in terms of raw athletic ability Lebron is a complete freak of nature.

Put Jordan in that body and he'd have won 10 championships.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:58 PM 04-15-2019
Also with people picking wilt I just want to make sure everyone understands:

Players were not actually SHORTER back when he played. The average height of the NBA players position by position hasn't varied that much over the past 60 years.

Wilt would dominate in today's NBA.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:12 PM 04-15-2019
Gilbert Brown.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:19 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Also with people picking wilt I just want to make sure everyone understands:

Players were not actually SHORTER back when he played. The average height of the NBA players position by position hasn't varied that much over the past 60 years.

Wilt would dominate in today's NBA.
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that at all.
[Reply]
CanadaKC 04:26 PM 04-15-2019
Ali
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up