ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 361
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:24 PM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Man. It was right on.

This.... Wow! The leg-lock designers must be frustrated right now.

[Reply]
DaFace 09:25 PM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
This.... Wow! The leg-lock designers must be frustrated right now.
Check out the video. Elon's caption suggests that it might have been related to the fog from launch, as weird as that sounds.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:37 PM 01-17-2016
Check out the video. Elon's caption suggests that it might have been related to the fog from launch, as weird as that sounds.
Now I feel bad for my "Love the mist" post... Ugh!
[Reply]
DaFace 06:14 PM 01-18-2016
Here's a fan-created video that compares the three barge landing attempts. It's pretty clear from this that it's not just random chance - they're definitely getting things fine-tuned each time. I'll give the February 6th launch a 75% chance of sticking the landing on a barge finally.

[Reply]
threebag 06:16 PM 01-18-2016
They had it stuck too. So freaking close.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:52 PM 01-18-2016
Here's a fan-created video that compares the three barge landing attempts. It's pretty clear from this that it's not just random chance - they're definitely getting things fine-tuned each time. I'll give the February 6th launch a 75% chance of sticking the landing on a barge finally.

So, from:

to:

???
[Reply]
Donger 04:24 PM 01-23-2016
Hope I'm not breaking a rule here (Blue Origin vs. SpaceX), but the New Shepard just flew again. The same one that flew in November:

[Reply]
DaFace 05:18 PM 01-23-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Hope I'm not breaking a rule here (Blue Origin vs. SpaceX), but the New Shepard just flew again. The same one that flew in November:

Meh, no real rules here. As far as I'm concerned, anything about cool space stuff is more than welcome.

It's cool that they were able to reuse it relatively easily, and I hope that bodes well for SpaceX's reusability program as well. It almost seems inevitable that reusable rockets are the way of the future at this point.

I do hope that Blue Origin eventually figures out how to do something more useful than shuttling tourists up and down to "space," but more innovation is certainly what we need in the industry, so they're to be commended regardless.
[Reply]
Donger 05:42 PM 01-23-2016
Meh, no real rules here. As far as I'm concerned, anything about cool space stuff is more than welcome.

It's cool that they were able to reuse it relatively easily, and I hope that bodes well for SpaceX's reusability program as well. It almost seems inevitable that reusable rockets are the way of the future at this point.

I do hope that Blue Origin eventually figures out how to do something more useful than shuttling tourists up and down to "space," but more innovation is certainly what we need in the industry, so they're to be commended regardless.
Woohoo, no space geek rules rules.

Indeed, it's almost like the early days of the space race between us and the Soviets. The race to be first. I welcome the competition.
[Reply]
Squalor2 09:23 PM 01-23-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Woohoo, no space geek rules rules.

Indeed, it's almost like the early days of the space race between us and the Soviets. The race to be first. I welcome the competition.
\

sad man
[Reply]
DaFace 06:47 PM 02-22-2016

Full-duration static fire completed. Targeting Wednesday for launch of SES-9 satellite @SES_Satellites pic.twitter.com/lp6nxGvUuH

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) February 22, 2016

Launch is scheduled for 5:46 p.m. Central on Wednesday (2/24). Weather's looking a little iffy at the moment, though - currently a 60% chance of favorable conditions. That said, there's about a 1.5-hour launch window, so hopefully they'll find a break in the weather there somewhere long enough to get it off the ground.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:17 PM 02-22-2016
Had to order this for the son...

[Reply]
88TG88 11:12 PM 02-22-2016
I work across the street from spacex, bunch of geeks and ugly chicks
[Reply]
DaFace 11:20 PM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by 88TG88:
I work across the street from spacex, bunch of geeks and ugly chicks
Well...yeah. What did you expect?
[Reply]