ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 24
« First < 91516171819 20212223 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>So have we hit the Justin Herbert is overhyped mark yet?
Mecca 11:05 AM 11-23-2020
I get his numbers are good but I've got people on ESPN saying he'll be a top 3 QB by the end of next year...fansided saying he should be an MVP candidate right now when his team has 3 wins...

WTF is going on here?
[Reply]
O.city 11:45 AM 12-18-2020
While i think arm strength is important, as long as the guy hits a certain baseline, I don't care about it. I'm not sure Tua has it, but Burrow clearly does. He's not Mahomes or Josh Allen but he's easily there with say, Matt Ryan or Rivers.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:46 AM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:

Herbert reminds me a little of Josh Allen but more accurate/touch out of the gate..
I see that too. Josh Allen is a great comparison imo. He doesn't have Allen's arm, but Herbert is more accurate.

They both look good...no doubt..but Herbert made more throws that I actually noticed.
Alright.

You know, a Herbert vs Burrow convo is good one. I get that one.

Tua doesn't belong in the conversation.
[Reply]
PHOG 11:50 AM 12-18-2020
With a hit like that (on Renfrow), Bello needs to be fined and kicked out of the next game. Should have been last nights game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:50 AM 12-18-2020
They both look good...no doubt..but Herbert made more throws that I actually noticed.
Even bad ones.

That's what I'm saying. You're focused on the "wow" throws and ignoring the "WTF" throws and the stuff he doesn't have to do, like fully read the whole field because a lot of times they're cutting the field in half to simplify his reads.

There's A LOT more to Herbert than just the highlights.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:56 AM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Even bad ones.

That's what I'm saying. You're focused on the "wow" throws and ignoring the "WTF" throws and the stuff he doesn't have to do, like fully read the whole field because a lot of times they're cutting the field in half to simplify his reads.

So you don't like Herbert.

Answer this: do you think Herbert's issues as a QB are more about coaching or more about who he is? You've compared him to Cutler, who, as we know, had all the necessary physical talent to be a good QB, but lacked something between the ears. Do you think Herbert suffers from a similar mental block or whatever? Or is it possible that most of his issues lie with the coaching, the lack of a real preseason, the fact that Taylor was supposed to be playing, etc?
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:57 AM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I see that too. Josh Allen is a great comparison imo. He doesn't have Allen's arm, but Herbert is more accurate.

Alright.

You know, a Herbert vs Burrow convo is good one. I get that one.

Tua doesn't belong in the conversation.
Tua did score 14 in the 4th against KC...that's a positive sign. Hard to gauge him right now...but he doesn't look like a "bust"

Competitive will...Burrow seems to have it. Mahomes...obviously. I'll need to see more from Herbert...it'll be the determining factor. Does he have that Favre "it"...unaffected by pressure.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:03 PM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
So you don't like Herbert.
Absolutely unequivocally wrong.

I think Herbert has a ton of potential.

I take exception to the incessant proclamations of future greatness. It's WAY too early to anoint him anything other than a really good rookie that looks like he has all the tools to succeed. Declaring him the arch-nemesis to Patrick Mahomes for the next decade plus is premature.

If that's considered "not liking" him, so be it. I'm not about to crown him before it's earned.

Answer this: do you think Herbert's issues as a QB are more about coaching or more about who he is? You've compared him to Cutler, who, as we know, had all the necessary physical talent to be a good QB, but lacked something between the ears. Do you think Herbert suffers from a similar mental block or whatever? Or is it possible that most of his issues lie with the coaching, the lack of a real preseason, the fact that Taylor was supposed to be playing, etc?
I do think he has problems with processing the game. He showed it at Oregon and he's shown it several times this season. He makes really bad decisions at inopportune times - at times he's "anti-clutch".

I don't think you can blame the coaching for him continuing to do things that he did before he ever got to the Chargers. I definitely think you can blame coaching for not helping him get past it, though.

Now, will he get the required coaching needed to take him to the next level? How often does that happen? Look around the league at the promising young QB's that have been ruined, or at best retarded, by poor coaching. I'm not saying he CAN'T do it. But he's fighting an uphill battle right now.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:04 PM 12-18-2020
Even bad ones.

No, I'm not...I saw him come off the bench, last minute, against KC...It was his first ever NFL game, without a preseason, and looked calm. That doesn't happen very often...he made some great throws that game. It was an impromptu performance as he didn't take the starters snaps that week..

That says a lot to me...I was really impressed by him. They nearly knocked off the Chiefs...98% of rookie QBs would have shit the bed in that scenario...

Highlights and arm strength dont mean anything without accuracy and poise...Cutler never had that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:07 PM 12-18-2020
No, I'm not...I saw him come off the bench, last minute, against KC...It was his first ever NFL game and looked calm. That doesn't happen very often...he made some great throws that game.

That says a lot to me...I was really impressed by him.
Even when he single-handedly tossed the game away to Sneed at the end of the 3rd quarter?

Why are you so willing to ignore the fact that he threw a pick that caused a 15-point swing in the game?
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:12 PM 12-18-2020
Absolutely unequivocally wrong.

I think Herbert has a ton of potential.

I take exception to the incessant proclamations of future greatness. It's WAY too early to anoint him anything other than a really good rookie that looks like he has all the tools to succeed. Declaring him the arch-nemesis to Patrick Mahomes for the next decade plus is premature.

If that's considered "not liking" him, so be it. I'm not about to crown him before it's earned.

I do think he has problems with processing the game. He showed it at Oregon and he's shown it several times this season. He makes really bad decisions at inopportune times - at times he's "anti-clutch".

I don't think you can blame the coaching for him continuing to do things that he did before he ever got to the Chargers. I definitely think you can blame coaching for not helping him get past it, though.

Now, will he get the required coaching needed to take him to the next level? How often does that happen? Look around the league at the promising young QB's that have been ruined, or at best retarded, by poor coaching. I'm not saying he CAN'T do it. But he's fighting an uphill battle right now.
Okay, good points, and thx for the clarification.

For my part, I'm not anointing Herbert, I was just saying that first, I was wrong about Herbert; he's better than my first estimation. And second, he's going to be (or has the potential) to be a quality starting QB.

The second part will be influenced greatly by the coaching that he gets going forward, and if LAC is smart at all, they'll ditch Lynn and get someone in there that is a good QB coach to help him develop to his potential. But I think the fundamental pieces are all there, both physically and mentally. Though processing speed might always be a problem, but we'll just have to see.

Overall though, as it stands today, I'd take Herbert over about half the starting QBs right now.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:17 PM 12-18-2020
Even when he single-handedly tossed the game away to Sneed at the end of the 3rd quarter?
It was his first ever NFL start...tough crowd. I expected the Chiefs to blow them out of the water...kind of like last season against Lock.

Herbert passed everything on my "list" on what you look for in a rookie QB...not surprised he's about to set the TD record.

Anyway...this is apple/oranges....but Cutler is a bad comparison.

I saw Burrow make a much worse play in crunch time...basically cost them the game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:18 PM 12-18-2020
Overall though, as it stands today, I'd take Herbert over about half the starting QBs right now.
Oh, for sure. The vast majority of the starting QB's in the NFL are mediocre at best and terrible at worst. There's 10-12 guys that are truly franchise guys. Herbert definitely has the ability to be one.

Part of the problem is that this place tends to be highly-polarized and hyperbolic. A guy is either "great" or he "sucks". There's often no in-between, which is where I'm at with Herbert, and why my comments get viewed so negatively.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:19 PM 12-18-2020
It was his first ever NFL start..tough crowd.

I saw Burrow make a much worse play in crunch time...basically cost them the game.
He did it several times at Oregon. And he's done it again since week 1.

It's not just one throw, it's a trend that has followed him his entire football career.

You can't just toss it aside.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:22 PM 12-18-2020
Oh, for sure. The vast majority of the starting QB's in the NFL are mediocre at best and terrible at worst. There's 10-12 guys that are truly franchise guys. Herbert definitely has the ability to be one.

Part of the problem is that this place tends to be highly-polarized and hyperbolic. A guy is either "great" or he "sucks". There's often no in-between, which is where I'm at with Herbert, and why my comments get viewed so negatively.
Oh, well, I'm not saying Herbert is 'great' yet. Gotta see a lot more of him before I lay that garland on his head.

Heck, I didn't say Mahomes was great until after he beat DEN in DEN in that comeback game in 2018.

But Herbert has that kind of potential, based on what we've seen so far. It probably will take a couple seasons, and he needs some great coaching, but he could get there, imo.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:34 PM 12-18-2020
Oh, well, I'm not saying Herbert is 'great' yet. Gotta see a lot more of him before I lay that garland on his head.
I'm not either..but he did almost beat Mahomes in his first NFL start...without practicing all week.

That has to account for something...
[Reply]
Page 19 of 24
« First < 91516171819 20212223 > Last »
Up