ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Antifa is an ideology... not an organization than can be labeled as a terrorist group
Mephistopheles Janx 05:58 PM 09-17-2020
https://apnews.com/bdd3b6078e9efadcfcd0be4b65f2362e

Originally Posted by :
WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Chris Wray told lawmakers Thursday that antifa is an ideology, not an organization, delivering testimony that puts him at odds with President Donald Trump, who has said he would designate it a terror group.

Wray did not dispute that antifa activists were a serious concern, saying that antifa was a “real thing” and that the FBI had undertaken “any number of properly predicated investigations into what we would describe as violent anarchist extremists,” including into individuals who identify with antifa.

But, he said, “It’s not a group or an organization. It’s a movement or an ideology.”

That characterization contradicts the depiction from Trump, who in June singled out antifa — short for “anti-fascists” and an umbrella term for far-left-leaning militant groups — as responsible for the violence that followed George Floyd’s death. Trump tweeted that the U.S. would be designating antifa as a terrorist organization, even though such designations are historically reserved for foreign groups and antifa lacks the hierarchical structure of formal organizations.

The hearing before the House Homeland Security Committee — established after the Sept. 11 attacks to confront the threat of international terrorism — focused almost entirely on domestic matters, including violence by white supremacists as well as anti-government extremists. The topics underscored the shift of attention by law enforcement at a time of intense divisions and polarization inside the country.

But one area where foreign threats were addressed was in the presidential election and Russia’s attempts to interfere in the campaign.

Wray sought to make clear the scope of the threats the country faces while resisting lawmakers’ attempts to steer him into politically charged statements. When asked whether extremists on the left or the right posed the bigger threat, he pivoted instead to an answer about how solo actors, or so-called “lone wolves,” with easy access to weapons were a primary concern.

“We don’t really think of threats in terms of left, right, at the FBI. We’re focused on the violence, not the ideology,” he said later.

The FBI director said racially motivated violent extremists, such as white supremacists, have been responsible for the most lethal attacks in the U.S. in recent years. But this year the most lethal violence has come from anti-government activists, such as anarchists and militia-types, Wray said.

Wray also affirmed the intelligence community’s assessment of Russian interference in the November election, which he said was taking the form of foreign influence campaigns aimed at sowing discord and swaying public opinion as well as efforts to denigrate Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

He said that the U.S. had not yet seen targeting of election infrastructure like in 2016, but efforts to sow doubt about the election’s integrity are a serious concern, he said.

“What concerns me the most is the steady drumbeat of misinformation and sort of amplification of smaller cyber intrusions,” Wray said. “I worry that they will contribute over time to a lack of confidence of American voters and citizens in the validity of their vote.”

“I think that would be a perception,” Wray added, “not a reality. I think Americans can and should have confidence in our election system and certainly in our democracy. But I worry that people will take on a feeling of futility because of all of the noise and confusion that’s generated.”

Trump has resisted the idea of Russian interference aimed at benefiting his campaign and has been eager, along with other administration officials, to talk about intelligence officials’ assessment that China prefers that Trump lose to Biden.

Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf had been scheduled to appear at the House hearing on worldwide threats but did not testify because of his nomination to be secretary, according to the agency.

The agency said in a statement ahead of the hearing that it would be “contrary to standard practice” to have him testify while his nomination was pending before the Senate.

Acting Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli said in a statement that he was prepared to appear in place of Wolf but that was rejected by the Democratic-controlled committee.

Rep. Bennie Thompson, the committee chairman, began the hearing by noting there is no law prohibiting the testimony of someone facing a confirmation hearing and that Wolf has given multiple media interviews since the president announced his nomination.

The Department of Homeland Security ignored a committee subpoena issued Friday for Wolf’s appearance, which the Mississippi Democrat said should “appall” any member of the committee.

[Reply]
Iowanian 08:05 PM 11-19-2020
I hope to see alot of those ideas get their light bulbs split.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
You should go out and do some splitting of your own there big guy.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:15 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
You should go out and do some splitting of your own there big guy.
If they’re dumb enough to show out in Iowa I have no doubt the splitting will occur.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:05 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Nope. DOJ is worried about “white supremacists ”
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 09:14 PM 11-19-2020
They get away with a lot. Yet Trump has to denounce Proud Boys while Biden isnt even asked about Antifa. Double standards galore.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:12 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
They get away with a lot. Yet Trump has to denounce Proud Boys while Biden isnt even asked about Antifa. Double standards galore.
Proud Boys are loudly supportive of Trump while Antifa isn't pro Biden as much as it is anti Trump. Biden has nothing to answer for and there is no double standard.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:00 AM 11-20-2020
Proud Boys are loudly supportive of Trump while Antifa isn't pro Biden as much as it is anti Trump. Biden has nothing to answer for and there is no double standard.
Must've missed where the question was 'do you denounce you boisterous supporters'

Proud Boys don't even identify as white supremacist, and they get name-dropped by Biden as someone Trump must unequivocally denounce in a blanket denunciation of the retarded emotionally-charged concept.

Why does Biden get a technical exception for a potential leader not needing to denounce violent and destructive partisans?

ISIS presumably aren't pro-Biden either, does he get the same 'it's just an idea' exception any time he addresses the likes of them?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:03 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Must've missed where the question was 'do you denounce you boisterous supporters'
I'll refer you to this post by ThyKingdomCome15:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...8&postcount=95

Take note that there wasn't a question posed. So... you didn't miss it as much as I wasn't answering one because there wasn't one.

Originally Posted by :
Proud Boys don't even identify as white supremacist, and they get name-dropped by Biden as someone Trump must unequivocally denounce in a blanket denunciation of the retarded emotionally-charged concept.
I would agree. They don't have a problem with white supremacists but it isn't a requirement for "membership" as far as I'm aware.

If the KKK or the Black Isrealites came out and, as a group, endorsed a candidate for the presidency... would you not expect that candidate to publicly reject that endorsement? ESPECIALLY if that candidate has a history of, and the public perception, perhaps being the kind of person that might quietly endorse the behaviors and tactics of those groups?

Originally Posted by :
Why does Biden get a technical exception for a potential leader not needing to denounce violent and destructive partisans?
Again... it boils down to a group of people who actively associate with white supremacists (though I'm sure there are good people on both sides) actively endorsing a candidate for president vs "Antifa" who doesn't support Biden as much as they loathe Trump.

He gets an exception because these aren't people who feel beholden to Biden for anything. They have nothing to do with him.

Originally Posted by :
ISIS presumably aren't pro-Biden either, does he get the same 'it's just an idea' exception any time he addresses the likes of them?
I'm fairly certain that Biden wasn't the one saying that Antifa is an ideology as much as it was a Trump appointed Chris Wray. We can both re-read the first article and double check on that one.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:13 AM 11-20-2020
As I said, I thought fairly clearly, "must've missed where the question was 'do you denounce you, boisterous supporters'"

Maybe you are the one who hasn't paid attention.

Matthews was asking the daily [hourly?] question, do you STILL denounce white supremacy?'
Trump said 'sure, what specifically'
BIDEN interjected 'Proud Boys'
Then Trump asked 'what about Antifa?'
Biden said 'just an idea'
Matthews moved on to the next subject.

I don't know where you got this was a discussion about vocal supporters, or even that Proud Boys are notable for their organizational support for Trump. It's about violent and destructive political organization.
[Reply]
seamonster 05:31 AM 11-20-2020
You're right about them being ideologues...Antifa is a dimwitted communist organization (they think they're "anarchist"). They believe in the overthrow of the United States so that they can live in a simple minded utopia. They're not that far removed from other hate groups and it's that ideologue that gets them into trouble. They get bused around and get handed professionally made signs. There's funding streams.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:02 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Ideologies don't set up web sites, have meetings, get arrested, and the like.
No shit.

The efforts and gymnastics involved with not calling ANTIFA terrorists, as they are, and to pretend they aren't organized, they are, is stunning.

Friends involved in the ANTIFA movement would post all manner of organizing posts on various social media.

ANTIFA is the definition of a guerilla terrorist organization. They work in cells so no one has everyone's info insulating the group.

What a joke.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:24 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Antifa never declared a terror group. But:

Oh no, now what do we do?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:25 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
If they’re dumb enough to show out in Iowa I have no doubt the splitting will occur.
:-)
[Reply]
Shields68 08:34 AM 11-20-2020
I'll refer you to this post by ThyKingdomCome15:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...8&postcount=95

Take note that there wasn't a question posed. So... you didn't miss it as much as I wasn't answering one because there wasn't one.

I would agree. They don't have a problem with white supremacists but it isn't a requirement for "membership" as far as I'm aware.

If the KKK or the Black Isrealites came out and, as a group, endorsed a candidate for the presidency... would you not expect that candidate to publicly reject that endorsement? ESPECIALLY if that candidate has a history of, and the public perception, perhaps being the kind of person that might quietly endorse the behaviors and tactics of those groups?

Again... it boils down to a group of people who actively associate with white supremacists (though I'm sure there are good people on both sides) actively endorsing a candidate for president vs "Antifa" who doesn't support Biden as much as they loathe Trump.

He gets an exception because these aren't people who feel beholden to Biden for anything. They have nothing to do with him.

I'm fairly certain that Biden wasn't the one saying that Antifa is an ideology as much as it was a Trump appointed Chris Wray. We can both re-read the first article and double check on that one.
This is complete bs. There are lots of incidents of antifa attacking Trump supporters. There lots of incidents of them attacking police. They routinely shut down free speech. They support Biden.

Trump was asked repeatedly to condemn white supremacist. No difference. Yet the press has never asked Biden tough questions, including his stance on antifa and their actions.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:58 AM 11-20-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up