ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Antifa is an ideology... not an organization than can be labeled as a terrorist group
Mephistopheles Janx 05:58 PM 09-17-2020
https://apnews.com/bdd3b6078e9efadcfcd0be4b65f2362e

Originally Posted by :
WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Chris Wray told lawmakers Thursday that antifa is an ideology, not an organization, delivering testimony that puts him at odds with President Donald Trump, who has said he would designate it a terror group.

Wray did not dispute that antifa activists were a serious concern, saying that antifa was a “real thing” and that the FBI had undertaken “any number of properly predicated investigations into what we would describe as violent anarchist extremists,” including into individuals who identify with antifa.

But, he said, “It’s not a group or an organization. It’s a movement or an ideology.”

That characterization contradicts the depiction from Trump, who in June singled out antifa — short for “anti-fascists” and an umbrella term for far-left-leaning militant groups — as responsible for the violence that followed George Floyd’s death. Trump tweeted that the U.S. would be designating antifa as a terrorist organization, even though such designations are historically reserved for foreign groups and antifa lacks the hierarchical structure of formal organizations.

The hearing before the House Homeland Security Committee — established after the Sept. 11 attacks to confront the threat of international terrorism — focused almost entirely on domestic matters, including violence by white supremacists as well as anti-government extremists. The topics underscored the shift of attention by law enforcement at a time of intense divisions and polarization inside the country.

But one area where foreign threats were addressed was in the presidential election and Russia’s attempts to interfere in the campaign.

Wray sought to make clear the scope of the threats the country faces while resisting lawmakers’ attempts to steer him into politically charged statements. When asked whether extremists on the left or the right posed the bigger threat, he pivoted instead to an answer about how solo actors, or so-called “lone wolves,” with easy access to weapons were a primary concern.

“We don’t really think of threats in terms of left, right, at the FBI. We’re focused on the violence, not the ideology,” he said later.

The FBI director said racially motivated violent extremists, such as white supremacists, have been responsible for the most lethal attacks in the U.S. in recent years. But this year the most lethal violence has come from anti-government activists, such as anarchists and militia-types, Wray said.

Wray also affirmed the intelligence community’s assessment of Russian interference in the November election, which he said was taking the form of foreign influence campaigns aimed at sowing discord and swaying public opinion as well as efforts to denigrate Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

He said that the U.S. had not yet seen targeting of election infrastructure like in 2016, but efforts to sow doubt about the election’s integrity are a serious concern, he said.

“What concerns me the most is the steady drumbeat of misinformation and sort of amplification of smaller cyber intrusions,” Wray said. “I worry that they will contribute over time to a lack of confidence of American voters and citizens in the validity of their vote.”

“I think that would be a perception,” Wray added, “not a reality. I think Americans can and should have confidence in our election system and certainly in our democracy. But I worry that people will take on a feeling of futility because of all of the noise and confusion that’s generated.”

Trump has resisted the idea of Russian interference aimed at benefiting his campaign and has been eager, along with other administration officials, to talk about intelligence officials’ assessment that China prefers that Trump lose to Biden.

Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf had been scheduled to appear at the House hearing on worldwide threats but did not testify because of his nomination to be secretary, according to the agency.

The agency said in a statement ahead of the hearing that it would be “contrary to standard practice” to have him testify while his nomination was pending before the Senate.

Acting Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli said in a statement that he was prepared to appear in place of Wolf but that was rejected by the Democratic-controlled committee.

Rep. Bennie Thompson, the committee chairman, began the hearing by noting there is no law prohibiting the testimony of someone facing a confirmation hearing and that Wolf has given multiple media interviews since the president announced his nomination.

The Department of Homeland Security ignored a committee subpoena issued Friday for Wolf’s appearance, which the Mississippi Democrat said should “appall” any member of the committee.

[Reply]
Buehler445 06:33 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
BUT THE BOOGALOO BOIS ARE TOTALLY A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION GUISE
I literally just heard about this yesterday and feared for Andy Reid.

Could he have been a white supremest this whole time? How did we not know!!!!

(/sarcasm - for the DC nuts)
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:35 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
Need State and Federal laws that make any violence against a Police officer or Firefighter a mandatory 10 year sentence. This removes the local ****head DA and Prosecuting attorney and insures these horrible useless cretins will suffer with a new friend named bubba
Who do you think prosecutes for violations of state law?
[Reply]
F150 06:43 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Who do you think prosecutes for violations of state law?

You skipped the "Federal and". Or you are still fucking stupid as ever.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 07:00 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
You skipped the "Federal and". Or you are still ****ing stupid as ever.
No, I skipped Federal because it’s consistent with your point.

I asked about State because it’s inconsistent with your point.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:00 AM 09-18-2020
The FBI at odds with Trump. Color me shocked.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 07:08 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
A very fair point on its face

But here's an honest question... whats the latest riot news out of Portland, Seattle, Rochester, etc?

I ask because it seems awfully quiet these last few days, almost as if the non existent organization controlling these mostly peaceful riots has pulled the reins back after seeing the publics response
Of course, and it lines up with the exact time that politicians on the left that have been forced to address it, and using words like "violence" and "looting".
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:03 AM 09-18-2020
By their own definitions and standards ISIS wasn't an organization but an ideal, yet we went to war against them.

Fucking morons.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:03 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
There are groups of people that can be identified as fascist ANTIFA. I believe Trumps intention is that when these groups are seen doing the things terrorist do, treat them like terrorist. You don't need a hierarchical structure or be a formal organization to commit terrorist acts or be treated like terrorist.

I am not exactly comfortable calling ANTIFA a terrorist organization. They need an ass kicking though.
Obviously, leftist ideals aren't capable of inspiring STOCHASTIC TERRORISM
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:05 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
If the fascist Antifa types were highly organized I would think they could do an order of magnitude more damage than they have actually done.


:-)



That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
[Reply]
ROYC75 10:16 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
By their own definitions and standards ISIS wasn't an organization but an ideal, yet we went to war against them.

****ing morons.
THIS!
[Reply]
ROYC75 10:24 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Correct!

The ( stupid ) people who believe/practice/follow that ideology do.
I seen you needed help expressing yourself so I fixed it for you.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:32 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
There have been several documented reports of right wing provocateurs at the protests that have been behind some of the property damage. For example, the video that went viral of the guy walking up to an AutoZone and breaking the glass turned out to be a white supremacist according to Minneapolis police.
Yes, that's what they say, and they claim to know his identity - but they have never charged the person or even identified them. Why not?

Almost everything local authorities have said about the Minnesota Riots was false at the beginning, and designed to make it appear like out of state actors were doing all the destruction.

The governor and mayor of St. Paul said almost everyone who was arrested was from out of state, which was patently false and easily refuted by local media. When asked about it, the governor admitted that even though he passed this off as fact, he had only wanted to believe that.

Beyond this, the wearing of plain black clothing, wearing of gas masks, and carrying of umbrellas so that overhead cameras can't get clear images of you is a defining tactic of Antifa groups.

There's no reason to believe the local authorities' word until they provide some evidence. From the start the left-wing goverment at the city and state level in Minnesota tried to blame the riots on out of state troublemakers and right-wing extremists even though there is little to no evidence they were a significant contributor to the violence.

If you talk to people who lived through the chaos in South Minneapolis that the mayor and governor just sat by and watched on TV, they will tell you plenty of stories of people parking in their neighborhoods wearing all black, with oregon and washington plates, actually switching their plates, leaving soda bottles with gasoline in them around, carrying hammers, etc.

The instinct of the state and local government from the start was to blame it on their political opponents in the absence of any evidence and they did it in broad daylight. Until they prove that this one guy was a white nationalist and he was responsible for the entire riot (LOL) no one should be taking them at their word.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 11:19 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Yes, that's what they say, and they claim to know his identity - but they have never charged the person or even identified them. Why not?

Almost everything local authorities have said about the Minnesota Riots was false at the beginning, and designed to make it appear like out of state actors were doing all the destruction.

The governor and mayor of St. Paul said almost everyone who was arrested was from out of state, which was patently false and easily refuted by local media. When asked about it, the governor admitted that even though he passed this off as fact, he had only wanted to believe that.

Beyond this, the wearing of plain black clothing, wearing of gas masks, and carrying of umbrellas so that overhead cameras can't get clear images of you is a defining tactic of Antifa groups.

There's no reason to believe the local authorities' word until they provide some evidence. From the start the left-wing goverment at the city and state level in Minnesota tried to blame the riots on out of state troublemakers and right-wing extremists even though there is little to no evidence they were a significant contributor to the violence.

If you talk to people who lived through the chaos in South Minneapolis that the mayor and governor just sat by and watched on TV, they will tell you plenty of stories of people parking in their neighborhoods wearing all black, with oregon and washington plates, actually switching their plates, leaving soda bottles with gasoline in them around, carrying hammers, etc.

The instinct of the state and local government from the start was to blame it on their political opponents in the absence of any evidence and they did it in broad daylight. Until they prove that this one guy was a white nationalist and he was responsible for the entire riot (LOL) no one should be taking them at their word.
You sound like a complete loon suggesting that the Minneapolis police department is covering for Antifa by pretending the perpetrator was a white supremacist. They are not politicians, but governors and mayors are. Conflating them is pretty dishonest. If you have local reporting disputing the word of the authorities on who this guy was then I'll take that into consideration, but this was widely reported with zero pushback from anybody at the police department. Sorry.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:19 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I seen you needed help expressing yourself so I fixed it for you.
Meh.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:27 PM 09-18-2020
There is some good news coming as a result of Wray's testimony.



BREAKING: The White House is preparing a shortlist of candidates to replace Christopher Wray as FBI Director.

— Emerald Robinson ✝️ (@EmeraldRobinson) September 18, 2020

[Reply]
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Up