Page 6 of 157
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>CDC: COVID-19 Deaths continue to Decline
Taco John 11:04 PM 07-08-2020

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:55 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Pretty amazing really. Willingly sending your kids into a petri dish with a roof during a pandemic.
Agreed.

My kids are constantly sick with the sniffles, colds and flu's during the school year and one of my kids missed 15 days of school before the lockdowns in early March.

Since then? Not a sniffle to be found or heard.

Los Angeles is different than many parts of the country because we have so much diversity here. A large number of families are multi-generational and live under one roof, which makes sending the kids back to school without a vaccine or the virus dying out, a very risky proposition that could ultimately lead to more hospitalizations and deaths, all of which could be averted by online schooling.

As much as we'd ALL like to get back to normal, there's not a chance in hell I'm exposing my children, especially on a daily basis, to other children and their families.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 04:57 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Agreed.

My kids are constantly sick with the sniffles, colds and flu's during the school year and one of my kids missed 15 days of school before the lockdowns in early March.

Since then? Not a sniffle to be found or heard.

Los Angeles is different than many parts of the country because we have so much diversity here. A large number of families are multi-generational and live under one roof, which makes sending the kids back to school without a vaccine or the virus dying out, a very risky proposition that could ultimately lead to more hospitalizations and deaths.

As much as we'd ALL like to get back to normal, there's not a chance in hell I'm exposing my children, especially on a daily basis, to other children and their families.
There you have it.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:57 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
You should ask the families of the 2302 people who have died over the last 3 days about what a scam it is ?
A much better question would be what they died from. $$$$$
[Reply]
BWillie 04:59 PM 07-09-2020
I have children younger than age 10 and there's not a chance in the world we're sending that child or our older child back to school in 6 weeks.

I don't know of a single parent here in LA that feels differently.
Is the worry for your child or your familiy? You are pretty old so that makes sense.

The danger of Covid-19 to children is almost not even worth talking about it's so low. The scary part about sending them to school is them contracting it while being asymptomatic and passing it onto older parents or grandparents who can really get hit hard by it.

But there is also SOME truth that the younger you are, the less likely you are to even get infected asymptomatic or not.

I worry more about the old teachers & staffers than anything. I'd like to see mask use everywhere possible and programs put into place for people 60 and older to get government assistance should they have employment. We need to protect the geezers and those with co-morbidities as much as possible during these times. But this really is something that is of very little concern to the zoomers (Gen Z ages) directly.
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:00 PM 07-09-2020
We have a pretty good idea from Europe about reopening schools, and even some data to suggest closing schools there didn't do much good. I don't see this as black and white, but there is also plenty of information about how little learning actually goes on in "distance learning" and how disparate the impacts can be from one student to the next.

It's a shame that we didn't get out in front of this pandemic and that we politicized it, or else we might be where Europe is today and this wouldn't be much of a question at all.
[Reply]
Donger 05:04 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
We have a pretty good idea from Europe about reopening schools, and even some data to suggest closing schools there didn't do much good. I don't see this as black and white, but there is also plenty of information about how little learning actually goes on in "distance learning" and how disparate the impacts can be from one student to the next.

It's a shame that we didn't get out in front of this pandemic and that we politicized it, or else we might be where Europe is today and this wouldn't be much of a question at all.
Sure, but are any of those countries seeing an increase in cases like we are? It shouldn't a be one size fits all. If the local region/city is seeing increases, it makes no sense sending kids back to school there. Just like it made no sense reopening without seeing steady and sustained declines.
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:07 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sure, but are any of those countries seeing an increase in cases like we are? It shouldn't a be one size fits all. If the local region/city is seeing increases, it makes no sense sending kids back to school there. Just like it made no sense reopening without seeing steady and sustained declines.
Yes, I agree. It doesn't make any sense for the same rules to be applied in states or cities, or in outlying areas where there are really no major covid issues.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:08 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Is the worry for your child or your familiy? You are pretty old so that makes sense.
:-)

I'm in fantastic health and I'm not "pretty old".

The danger of Covid-19 to children is almost not even worth talking about it's so low. The scary part about sending them to school is them contracting it while being asymptomatic and passing it onto older parents or grandparents who can really get hit hard by it.
Good grief, of COURSE it's worth talking about. The reason why it hasn't been much of an issue to date is because the children were removed from the schools almost as soon as the outbreak started.

Now, doctors will learn more about how it affects children, and those in their 20's and 30's, because infection rates are rising to crazy levels in some of our most populated states. But at this time, there isn't a single doctor or health organization that can provide or dictate the long-term effects of C19 among the younger population.

I worry more about the old teachers & staffers than anything. I'd like to see mask use everywhere possible and programs put into place for people 60 and older to get government assistance should they have employment. We need to protect the geezers and those with co-morbidities as much as possible during these times. But this really is something that is of very little concern to the zoomers directly.
Masks have been mandated for months in Los Angeles County, yet we're seeing more and more cases each day, so it's more likely than not that teachers and administrators will acquire the virus, which will be passed on to the children, who then pass it on to their families.

And finally, I realize that you don't have children and most likely, know absolutely nothing about being a parent, so I can understand your attitude towards C19 and young children.

But AS a parent of two children, my number one responsibility as a parent is to keep my children safe at all times. At at this point in time, sending my children back to school in the middle of a pandemic would be skirting and avoiding my main responsibility.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:09 PM 07-09-2020
Keep city kids at home while kids from the suburbs and rural areas keep learning? What could go wrong?
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 05:09 PM 07-09-2020
:-)

I'm in fantastic health and I'm not "pretty old".

Good grief, of COURSE it's worth talking about. The reason why it hasn't been much of an issue to date is because the children were removed from the schools almost as soon as the outbreak started.

Now, doctors will learn more about how it affects children, and those in their 20's and 30's, because infection rates are rising to crazy levels in some of our most populated states. But at this time, there isn't a single doctor or health organization that can provide the long-term effects of C19 among the younger population.

Masks have been mandated for months in Los Angeles County, yet we're seeing more and more cases each day, so it's more likely than not that teachers and administrators will acquire the virus, which will be passed on to the children, who then pass it on to their families.

And finally, I realize that you don't have children and most likely, know absolutely nothing about being a parent, so I can understand your attitude towards C19 and young children.

But AS a parent of two children, my number one responsibility as a parent is to keep my children safe at all times. At at this point in time, sending my children back to school in the middle of a pandemic would be skirting and avoiding my main responsibility.
Homeschooling is the better choice anyways.
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:13 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Keep city kids at home while kids from the suburbs and rural areas keep learning? What could go wrong?
If you're privileged and can surround your kids with the devices, high speed internet, a quiet learning environment, and adult supervision needed to make distance learning comparable to actual schooling, maybe not that much. For a huge portion of children who don't have all those advantages, they are going to find themselves a year behind in school more or less.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:16 PM 07-09-2020
If you're privileged and can surround your kids with the devices, high speed internet, a quiet learning environment, and adult supervision needed to make distance learning comparable to actual schooling, maybe not that much. For a huge portion of children who don't have all those advantages, they are going to find themselves a year behind in school more or less.
I suspect that kids in the hotter spots are less likely to have those things going for them, but they’re the most likely to be forced into distance learning.
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:19 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I suspect that kids in the hotter spots are less likely to have those things going for them, but they’re the most likely to be forced into distance learning.
Yeah. I remember reading one item that said in NYC, a significant chunk of the students (maybe half?) never signed into their learning environment even once. Should those kids have been in school instead? Well, with the way NYC was burning down, probably not. But now would it be unsafe? Probably not.

And these same lesser advantaged kids probably have parents that will now find themselves without child care as their jobs call them back, or trying to manage the kids' schooling and their job at the same time. Kids will need their devices in many cases, there are still tons of households with no internet other than the parents' phones. I know numerous educators who were trying to navigate households where the only access to anything is mom's Android phone.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:19 PM 07-09-2020
LAUSD provided each and every child, from K-12, a school issue laptop and for those that have less than 50 mbps internet speed, provided that for free as well.

My oldest had school from 8:05-3:15 each day. Attendance was kept on a daily basis as well while their testing and quizzes also were administered as normal. School wasn't less or more difficult when using a laptop and the year was finished with a 4.0 GPA.

My younger child had school from 8:30-12pm each day and spent each afternoon doing homework. While grades aren't issued until 3rd Grade in California, my youngest maintained high marks and really enjoyed Zoom classes. As a matter of fact, my youngest is enrolled in further Zoom classes with one of her former teachers this summer, which lasts 4 hours per day, and absolutely loves it.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 05:37 PM 07-09-2020
The science says that the Wu Flu is less problematic for kids than the regular flu. So, by extrapolation, the science says that, since we put kids in school during normal flu seasons, kids need to go to school this year.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 157
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up