ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 189 of 189
« First < 89139179185186187188189
The Lounge>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:09 AM 08-11-2020
Anybody found this site. Jimmy is a really great communicator. He gives a little inspiration every morning along with a fishing tip. It's a good way to start the day. He lives in Oklahoma. Wonder if he's a Chiefs fan?

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:48 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Anybody found this site. Jimmy is a really great communicator. He gives a little inspiration every morning along with a fishing tip. It's a good way to start the day. He lives in Oklahoma. Wonder if he's a Chiefs fan?

I like his style, and the drop shot is a great rigging tip

My tip for hot and clear mid afternoon conditions is throw the book at shade and cover

Fished the local, beaten to death lake last week and got a nice 4 pound largemouth... Iíd thrown everything at this shady bay, particularly the shady side of this one big overhanging tree

My trusty beetle spinner, a Texas rig plastic and a Rapala crank bait... and NOTHING worked til I went old school with live red wigglers and a bobber on a tiny bait hook
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:28 PM 08-11-2020
Man lives in OK.

My tip for August fishing: Stay home with the A/C turned way down.

Just kidding.

Something me and my friend Howard came up with: Tie a gold/silver double barrel swivel to your line, then tie about a foot of line to the other end of the swivel. Then tie on a 1/0-2/0 hook and slip (Texas rig) a 6-inch straight tail onto the hook.

Note: this is what we used to call a 'weightless T-rig,' and you have to use either a spinning rig or an ultralight baitcasting rig to cast the thing.

Anyway, cast to weeds, deadfalls, shadelines, rip-rap, some kind of structure that would get fish out of direct sunlight. Then on a semi-tight line allow the rig to fall on a count. I usually started with ten seconds, and worked my way up to as much as 30 seconds. This rig drops at about a half foot per second.

Then as slowly as possible, reel it in. Like turn the handle about a quarter turn for every 5 seconds kind of slow. Short 3-4 seconds pauses every full turn. All the way back to you, or until the rig is in full sunlight again.

The swivel is a tiny prey item that the worm is stalking. This can and will provoke a predatory response from bass, even when they aren't all that interested in actually eating. They just can't resist getting in on the hunt.

You can make the thing very enticing depending on how fast you reel, but it should always be pretty slow. Try casting it into the shallows and watch how the worm behaves when you reel that slow; it kind of glides, hovers, twitches into motion then glides some more. It won't take long for you to get the idea.

2nd note: This is a light line technique. Most spinning rigs aren't spooled with more than 8-lb. test anyway, but just in case, I wouldn't go higher than 10-lbs to the swivel. Off the back of the swivel I'd try to go a bit lighter. like from 8-lbs. to 6-lbs. Or 10 to 8.

That being said, obviously you aren't going to be fishing this in heavy cover, but rather along cover, maybe a foot or two off. Which is why you need to allow it to drop on semi-tight line, so you can feel any take and set the hook quickly before that fish runs back into his hole.

Anyway, I've caught some nice fish on the thing, and more importantly for this time of year, I've been able to get some action when everyone else is just straining water.
[Reply]
Strongside 09:54 PM 08-25-2020
No photos up yet, but I've had an incredible time fishing here in Wyoming since Saturday. We're staying in Jackson, and I've fished the Hobak, Flat Creek, the Snake River and a couple lakes, and have had excellent success at each location.

This morning we hiked into Flat Creek on the National Elk Refuge, where I caught several nice Cutthroat on Adams flies and then this evening we dodged a rainstorm to catch some nice Bows and Cutties on the snake with larger flies (I was throwing a Chubby Chernobyl).

Tomorrow we head to West Yellowstone. Still feeling out where to walk/wade there, but have a couple spots pinpointed for starters.

Crossing this beautiful country off the bucket list has been incredible!
[Reply]
lewdog 10:02 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
No photos up yet, but I've had an incredible time fishing here in Wyoming since Saturday. We're staying in Jackson, and I've fished the Hobak, Flat Creek, the Snake River and a couple lakes, and have had excellent success at each location.

This morning we hiked into Flat Creek on the National Elk Refuge, where I caught several nice Cutthroat on Adams flies and then this evening we dodged a rainstorm to catch some nice Bows and Cutties on the snake with larger flies (I was throwing a Chubby Chernobyl).

Tomorrow we head to West Yellowstone. Still feeling out where to walk/wade there, but have a couple spots pinpointed for starters.

Crossing this beautiful country off the bucket list has been incredible!
The Snake River is one of my favorites of the west. Fished it a few times for those beautiful cutthroats. Amazing country.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:58 PM 11-21-2020

[Reply]
Easy 6 09:32 PM 11-21-2020
These things are absolutely destroying the Illinois river, among many others... guys around here stand on top of bridges and bow hunt them, pulling out fish the size of dogs

Missed the redneck fishing tourny two years in a row now, a very good time with a street carnival atmosphere year before last it was canceled because of flooding, and this year because of the rona

http://www.redneckfishingtournament.com/
[Reply]
frozenchief 10:50 PM 11-21-2020
My state is super paranoid about invasive species in the water. No live bait is allowed in any stream, lake or ocean fishery in this state. ADF&G banned felt waders several years ago because of the potential of importing eggs from some snail with no natural enemies so now I have to walk on slippery river rocks with rubber-soled wading boots. Part of the issue is that with lakes and rivers being frozen half the year, the fish are more susceptible to fishing pressure than in places with year-round open water and year-round food supplies.

A few decades ago, some idiots transplanted pike from rivers in central Alaska to southern Alaska so they could catch them without having to drive/boat so far. When pike go into a lake or to waters, they eat the salmon out and salmon are far more profitable than pike, both to commercial and sport fisheries. Depending on the water, they also will eat the grayling, trout and char. Sometimes pike get transferred into new water by flooding or rivers/lakes changing courses and boundaries, though.

There is a plant-based toxin, rotenone, that will block fish from being able to absorb oxygen from the water. It is inert to humans so it apparently does no damage to humans but it kills every last fish. It also breaks down in fish flesh fairly quickly and is not as toxic to birds or wildlife, so thereís no bio-accumulation that would then kill birds and wildlife that eat rotenone-killed fish. Alaska F&G has used rotenone to kill pike (and any other fish) in lakes and rivers where pike have been introduced and pike have come to dominate the local food chain. Retenone settles to the bottom of the lake and, being plant-based, dissolves. After a bit of time, they re-introduce native fish. I think that they usually put the toxin down in fall and then re-introduce fish after ice out next summer but I could be wrong about that.

I donít know if it is being used for Asian carp but given how wide-spread the carp seem to be, the quantities necessary to produce the desired results may be prohibitive for a variety of reasons. But itís something to consider.
[Reply]
MelGrif 10:56 AM 11-22-2020
What a great topic! I'm pretty new here and I'm glad that I've found this discussion. I bought a motorboat this summer. Now I'm looking for a motor. Having looked through a review on https://trollingmotorsguide.com/best-saltwater-trolling-motor-reviews/, I decided that Minn Kota 1088337 Riptide Ulterra would be the best choice for me. When I finally buy and install it, I'm going fishing together with my family. Thanks for sharing your experience, guys!
[Reply]
frozenchief 04:38 PM 11-25-2020
This may be viewed as DC because the article tries to tie this to the President. That's not my point. My point is the decision made about Bristol Bay and the world's largest freshwater salmon hatchery. This really relates to fishing, particularly in my back yard and the fishing thread is here and not in DC but if mods think otherwise, feel free to delete this post.

That aside, I am super pleased to announce that Pebble Mine's application has been denied:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...r-pebble-mine/

I lived in Bristol Bay for several years and I go back to go fishing every fall. Those are some hallowed waters: the Kvichak, Tularik, Copper, Battle Creek, Moraine, the American, the Gibraltar. I've watched the water boil from the red salmon runs. I've felt a hard bump when a 35+ lb king salmon runs into me. I've had to wait for bears to leave fishing holes. I've knocked ice out of my fly rod guides in late September. I've landed 30" wild rainbow trout. I've caught so many grayling on a dry fly that I literally cannot count them. It's a special place and I'm glad that Northern Dynasty with their horrible record and shitty proposal won't be allowed to screw it up.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:58 PM 11-25-2020
Carp are stupid I hate carp. I can be fishing and no bites and think will fuck. Then I hear a splash and get all excited and then maybe another splash and then i realize it's just stupid carp jumping in the water, bastards. When they are spawning you can go right up to them and pick them stupid fucks up right out of the water. Or just shoot them with a bow but they are stupid fish and they are stupid.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:23 PM 11-25-2020
Carp r gud
[Reply]
loochy 09:27 PM 11-25-2020
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Carp are stupid I hate carp. I can be fishing and no bites and think will fuck. Then I hear a splash and get all excited and then maybe another splash and then i realize it's just stupid carp jumping in the water, bastards. When they are spawning you can go right up to them and pick them stupid fucks up right out of the water. Or just shoot them with a bow but they are stupid fish and they are stupid.
Yeah, I agree. Stupid carp make the water all muddy because they eat the vegetation
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:53 AM 11-26-2020
I prefer smart carp over stupid carp
[Reply]
Page 189 of 189
« First < 89139179185186187188189
Up