ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Toronto Raptors to play in KC for 2021 season?
DaneMcCloud 03:01 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Doesn't "our" mayor have better fucking things to do than to pander on local radio about a one year pro franchise rental?
In a "normal" year, the impact to the KC economy would be significant.

IF the Raptors play in KC for the 2021 season and IF there's a great response via TV ratings and/or attendance, KC would shoot to the top of the list, next to Seattle, in terms of an expansion team.

Plus, KC would finally be a 4 sport town again, which would raise its profile nationwide.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes becomes part of that ownership group, too.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:15 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In a "normal" year, the impact to the KC economy would be significant.

IF the Raptors play in KC for the 2021 season and IF there's a great response via TV ratings and/or attendance, KC would shoot to the top of the list, next to Seattle, in terms of an expansion team.

Plus, KC would finally be a 4 sport town again, which would raise its profile nationwide.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes becomes part of that ownership group, too.
I had strenuous doubts that Kansas City could support a fourth professional team before the current shitshow.

Without disagreeing with your thesis that the NBA game is much more enjoyable to watch vs the college game, you can't deny that the college basketball as a collective (but namely KU's team) is already the "fourth" professional franchise.. which further assumes you're putting Sporting above KU.

The people here flat out aren't wealthy enough to that many franchises and the downtown core is losing -not gaining- the businesses who are the sources of luxury box receipts.

And it's going to be years, if ever, where typical "asses in the seats" revenue comes close to its heyday considering the (most likely permanent) restrictions on indoor mass gatherings.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:45 PM 10-28-2020
I had strenuous doubts that Kansas City could support a fourth professional team before the current shitshow.

Without disagreeing with your thesis that the NBA game is much more enjoyable to watch vs the college game, you can't deny that the college basketball as a collective (but namely KU's team) is already the "fourth" professional franchise.. which further assumes you're putting Sporting above KU.
The whole "KU is better than the NBA" trope has been around since well before I was born and I do agree that it will take some time to make inroads to the NBA, but I also think that will happen sooner than many expect.

The people here flat out aren't wealthy enough to that many franchises and the downtown core is losing -not gaining- the businesses who are the sources of luxury box receipts.
I disagree. I can't speak for the Missouri side but there are tens of thousands, if hundreds of thousands, of people on the Kansas side that can easily afford NBA tickets, which will most likely be their marketing focus.

But local TV exposure can lure in more fans, especially those watching games on TNT, which IMO has the best Pre-Game and Post-Game crew in all of sports.

And it's going to be years, if ever, where typical "asses in the seats" revenue comes close to its heyday considering the (most likely permanent) restrictions on indoor mass gatherings.
Well, it doesn't necessarily need to happen, either, as the NBA is locked into their current broadcast deals. Merchandising and TV viewership will be a valuable component but if both of those are low, I'd imagine the likelihood of an permanent NBA team in KC would be all but dead, which would be a shame.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:02 PM 10-28-2020
Love me some good omnislashing format. Party like it's 1999 bitches!

The whole "KU is better than the NBA" trope has been around since well before I was born and I do agree that it will take some time to make inroads to the NBA, but I also think that will happen sooner than many expect.

I disagree. I can't speak for the Missouri side but there are tens of thousands, if hundreds of thousands, of people on the Kansas side that can easily afford NBA tickets, which will most likely be their marketing focus.
Thought experiment: if you get 10 KU alums with the requisite money, how many of them opt for NBA season tickets compared to Jayhawks tickets assuming they are roughly the same total cost? I'd wager no more than four but that's my take. From those four you start doing to math on how the costs of the pro game to the college one depends on which one is relatively cheaper than the other. Again, I'd guess a more expensive NBA attraction would halve that four KU alums to two while a more expensive KU price might mean five ticket holders choosing pro over college.

This, of course, glosses over the people who are fans of other CBB programs or people who don't give a **** about college athletics period, but then you're moving on to a "who will choose an (or a likely shitty) expansion franchise versus tickets to Arrowhead or wants really good seats for Sporting or Royals games?" question.

But local TV exposure can lure in more fans, especially those watching games on TNT, which IMO has the best Pre-Game and Post-Game crew in all of sports.
No arguments there. Personally, as much as I love the Inside the NBA crew, I do think the game has a problem where the offseason drama concerning which top 20 player is going to ally up with two other top 20 players to build a super team has a lot more intrigue than which franchise will win that year's championship. That's just me though.

Well, it doesn't necessarily need to happen, either, as the NBA is locked into their current broadcast deals. Merchandising and TV viewership will be a valuable component but if both of those are low, I'd imagine the likelihood of an permanent NBA team in KC would be all but dead, which would be a shame.
I don't have the insight on how the broadcast deals are structured legally, but my one suspicion about the drop-off of pro sports ratings in general is that a ~four month hiatus of the big four professional sports has led people to seek out other avenues for their time. So if KC lands a franchise before the midpoint of whatever deal is in place could make my hypothesis moot..
[Reply]
Mecca 05:12 PM 10-28-2020
To be fair the NBA is fun right now, most teams are either good/entertaining or have a superstar worth seeing.

Unless you follow it you don't get that probably 25 or 26 teams have something making them worth the watch and fun.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:23 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
To be fair the NBA is fun right now, most teams are either good/entertaining or have a superstar worth seeing.

Unless you follow it you don't get that probably 25 or 26 teams have something making them worth the watch and fun.
Didnt even watch a minute of the "bubble" appealing to extremist groups was a bad move.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:41 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Didnt even watch a minute of the "bubble" appealing to extremist groups was a bad move.
The NBA Finals won the ratings every night, other than when they were matched up against the NFL on Sunday night.

You are dead wrong.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:48 PM 10-28-2020
The NBA Finals won the ratings every night, other than when they were matched up against the NFL on Sunday night.

You are dead wrong.
I dont care about ratings which were down BTW when I say the league appealed to extremists groups I'm speaking of BLM and putting that nonsense on the court and having empty slogans placed on the back of jerseys. I didnt watch a minute of it and would rather watch MMA.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:51 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I dont care about ratings which were down BTW when I say the league appealed to extremists groups I'm speaking of BLM and putting that nonsense on the court and having empty slogans placed on the back of jerseys. I didnt watch a minute of it and would rather watch MMA.
ALL ratings ARE down.

How about staying out of the thread instead of constantly trolling?
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:33 PM 10-28-2020
I assume they're going to have fans at the game - limited seating?
[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 09:19 PM 10-28-2020
Truth is, the nba doesn't even try to sell to a white or older audience. The all star weekend is all hip hop and Rap and what ever is trendy now. Pimptastic, flashin the cash, yo buuooyyy.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:47 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by CarlosCarson88:
Truth is, the nba doesn't even try to sell to a white or older audience. The all star weekend is all hip hop and Rap and what ever is trendy now. Pimptastic, flashin the cash, yo buuooyyy.
You really have no idea what you're talking about if you think white people don't listen to hip hop.
[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 09:52 PM 10-28-2020
You really have no idea what you're talking about if you think white people don't listen to hip hop.
Lol you're trying too hard. I didn't say white people didn't.
It's still a very specific, smaller demographic , than what baseball and football sell to/go after.
You don't hear that music by and large in football and baseball telecasts and promoting
[Reply]
BWillie 11:19 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by CarlosCarson88:
Lol you're trying too hard. I didn't say white people didn't.
It's still a very specific, smaller demographic , than what baseball and football sell to/go after.
You don't hear that music by and large in football and baseball telecasts and promoting

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:02 PM 10-28-2020
No kidding. My teenage boys got me back into it, after really being our for 25 years or so. It's been a ton of fun.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up