ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 57
« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Media Center>Horror Movies
Sorter 05:50 PM 10-18-2012
Please recommend me some for the season. I'm currently fresh out ideas, sans Sinister which I'll be seeing this week.
[Reply]
ohiobronco2 07:06 AM 07-06-2018
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Yep. You got it. Also a guest appearance by Cujo. Lol
Oh man, I completely forgot about that. I believe that is in the beginning. I'm now remembering the smoking scene as well. :-). I may have to rent Cat's eye now.
[Reply]
ohiobronco2 07:07 AM 07-06-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
If you liked Creepshow you all need to see XX
Thanks buddy, I'll give it a try.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:44 AM 07-13-2018
Not sure if its already been mentioned but I'm loving pretty much everything so far from Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson (directors.) Small indie directors who can take very little and do a lot with it.

Resolution, Spring, and The Endless are all very good horror/suspense flicks. Also they all apparently relate in a loose way (and not a lame way like Cloverfield.)

I highly recommend watching Resolution first and if you like that watch the other two in that order. It seems like the budget on each film got progressively better and so did each film...

[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:47 AM 11-10-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I can't believe several of you hated Hereditary - I never get nightmares from watching movies - that movie freaked me TF out! I had the worse nightmare I've ever had after watching that!
Finally got around to this, and it is fantastic, though not in ways people might expect.

I think that the strongest aspect of the movie is how it blends the supernatural with the plausible and mundane. It's very current in the matters of gaslighting, miscommunication, and past resentments hindering current healing.

I'm not going to be too concerned about spoilers, but I will be as vague as is tenable. So for those still seeking a pristine experience, this is for viewers who have seen it, not a recommendation for the uninitiated.

Clearly, dark, otherworldly and determined forces are amassed against this family. But for a significant chunk of the movie it remains firmly in the shadows and on the periphery. This allows the narrative to stew in the poor communication within a family and the destruction it can cause even in the absence of malevolent forces.

We are much more shook living for a moment inside the mindset of a kid responsible for his sister's death than we are unsettled by the fireworks at the end. We are most confused and discombobulated trying to do the calculus of the father trying to make sense of seeming nonsense, even as it grows more and more dangerous and destructive all around him, than we are straight shook by the bump scares and shadows.

Not every family will be sacrificed to the ascension of a dark lord. But every family has secrets and strife and resentments bourne of shame and trauma. This makes it unsettlingly relatable as a family drama just as much as it is unsettlingly unrealistic as a supernatural tale.

One thing I did like from a stylistic/atmospheric sense, in stark opposition to traditional jump scares, a lot of the horror in this movie is the view slowly realizing the gravity of what is happening. So many horrors lurk in nooks and crannies and corners unremarked until your senses register them. Related to that, the director makes ample use of suspense by visual through strict control of the camera blocking and movement.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:31 AM 11-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Finally got around to this, and it is fantastic, though not in ways people might expect.

I think that the strongest aspect of the movie is how it blends the supernatural with the plausible and mundane. It's very current in the matters of gaslighting, miscommunication, and past resentments hindering current healing.

I'm not going to be too concerned about spoilers, but I will be as vague as is tenable. So for those still seeking a pristine experience, this is for viewers who have seen it, not a recommendation for the uninitiated.

Clearly, dark, otherworldly and determined forces are amassed against this family. But for a significant chunk of the movie it remains firmly in the shadows and on the periphery. This allows the narrative to stew in the poor communication within a family and the destruction it can cause even in the absence of malevolent forces.

We are much more shook living for a moment inside the mindset of a kid responsible for his sister's death than we are unsettled by the fireworks at the end. We are most confused and discombobulated trying to do the calculus of the father trying to make sense of seeming nonsense, even as it grows more and more dangerous and destructive all around him, than we are straight shook by the bump scares and shadows.

Not every family will be sacrificed to the ascension of a dark lord. But every family has secrets and strife and resentments bourne of shame and trauma. This makes it unsettlingly relatable as a family drama just as much as it is unsettlingly unrealistic as a supernatural tale.

One thing I did like from a stylistic/atmospheric sense, in stark opposition to traditional jump scares, a lot of the horror in this movie is the view slowly realizing the gravity of what is happening. So many horrors lurk in nooks and crannies and corners unremarked until your senses register them. Related to that, the director makes ample use of suspense by visual through strict control of the camera blocking and movement.
It's almost like it's a commentary on how genetics and ghosts of the past both play a role in the future (of Hollywood cinema)...
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:32 AM 11-10-2018
I watched Deadbeat at Dawn last night. Definitely more exploitation than horror, but if you're into cheesy, low budget, 80s gang/karate era flicks, it's pretty entertaining. It starts a little slow but the last 1/3 is like a vastly lower budget, more laughable, gorier John Wick.
[Reply]
lastmanonearth 12:01 PM 11-11-2018
If you love novels by Stephen King, I can recommend new "It".
[Reply]
lastmanonearth 08:26 AM 11-15-2018
What's about Pet Sematary?
[Reply]
DeepPurple 10:00 AM 11-22-2018
Ever since I heard about Ex Machina a couple of years ago I've been wanting to see it, it's a 2014 release. I've got all the premium channels on Directv and it's never played. I've was just flipping thru Netflix and under new additions there it was, couldn't believe.

I finally got to see it and it didn't disappoint. I'm sure everybody has heard about it by now. It's robots and AI (artificial intelligence). It keeps you guessing the whole way through about how it's going to turn out, it has a twist ending. Highly recommend this film if you're into sci-fi.

[Reply]
KCUnited 11:57 AM 12-02-2018
Finally watched Hereditary last night and thought it was great. Toni Collette played about as good of role in a horror movie as I've seen. I wavered between wanting to do her like Kareem Hunt or Peter North throughout the entire movie. The camera work was fantastic as well. Really well done movie.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:59 PM 12-20-2018
Rented "Mandy" with Nic Cage last night, went in expecting something far out and got it... but it wasnt quite what I was expecting

The basic story sounded excellent, a genuine satanic cult kills a northwest loggers girlfriend and he goes on a revenge killing spree

It delivers on the tripping balls aspect that reviews promised, but could have been so much better IMO... was hoping (reviews seemed to promise this) for a deep dive into the supernatural that exists around serious cults, but it ended up being more of a late 70s - early 80s camp and gore, grindhouse kind of thing with animated elements similar to Heavy Metal and Natural Born Killers

Wouldnt say I felt cheated, it was absolutely a beautiful visual nightmare... but I was hoping for much more of a supernatural aspect to it, something that took the world of demon conjuring and the powers of real witchcraft to a new level
[Reply]
SAGA45 05:53 PM 12-23-2018
I recommend 'The Bird Box' on netflix. It's a weird mix of A Quiet Place, The Mist, and The Happening among others. Good cast too
[Reply]
Ceej 06:02 PM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
I recommend 'The Bird Box' on netflix. It's a weird mix of A Quiet Place, The Mist, and The Happening among others. Good cast too
Surprisingly really good. I'd also recommend.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:25 AM 12-25-2018
What say?

[Reply]
AssEaterChief 12:57 PM 12-25-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
What say?

:-)
[Reply]
Page 34 of 57
« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Up