ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 193 of 221
« First < 93143183189190191192193 194195196197203 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:31 AM 06-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I fish Lake Meredith in the Texas panhandle and they restocked the Walleye a few years back. People are catching plenty of Crappie out of there. Wednesday I caught about 30 Walleye but they were all small. About 14 inches. State regulations allow you to keep 2 under 16 inches, also caught 3 huge crappie and a nice sandbass.

In case you don't know ,when fishing for Walleye they'll be on the bottom. The go to lure is a fluke with 1/4 ounce jighead here. Just let it hit bottom and slowly bounce it back, several times I'd set my rod down after casting out to pick up another rod with live bait to check it and when I'd pick it back up there'd be a fish on, Was catching them in 20-30 feet water.

BTW, Walleye has gotta be some of the best tasting fish there is.
Deadsticking. Sometimes, mostly early spring or late fall when the water is cold, that's the best way to catch em. Less movement since they are not as active, plus less chance of them feeling you on the other end of the line. :-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:24 PM 06-04-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:
MDC recently released a massive amount of Walleye into waters all over the state. Large numbers of them even went into lakes that they were not previously in but already possessed very good habitat for them.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying that in a few years, but am a little worried about what it might do to one traditionally very good crappie hole.
Check this video out , this guy went in a walleye tournament and all he caught was Crappie. LOL

[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:41 AM 07-01-2021
Getting rid of bad fish

https://www.kare11.com/article/tech/...9-d793f62c32c5

Originally Posted by :
ROBBINSDALE, Minn. — Creatures of the night vary at Crystal Lake in Robbinsdale, and on Tuesday night going into Wednesday morning, the party included humans.

Jordan Wein and his team from WSB, an environmental consulting firm, geared up for the hunt. They put on waders and sprayed themselves down with bug spray.

"It's kind of like an arms race with these guys," Wein said. "They come up with a strategy to avoid what we have, and we come up with a new strategy to outsmart them in a different way."

The recipe this time around is silence, and complete darkness. Wein and his team take the common carp by surprise, by lifting the nets they had set out, days prior.

"Common carp are really bad for water quality, especially in large numbers," Wein said, who is an environmental scientist. "First step you find out how many you have, if that amount of carp for the area of the lake is above a certain threshold, then we recommend coming in and removing as many as you can."

Brought in by immigrants from Europe more than a hundred years ago, common carp are harmful to the native species of Minnesota fish in lakes, according to Wein.

They're also incredibly hardy.

"They find ways to move through almost no water," Wein said. "So I mean, basically--I heard a professor once say, if a drop of rain falls, carp can move through it. That makes it really tough, because obviously in Minnesota, our watersheds are connected by little creeks and swamps and marshes and that makes it a great place for these guys to thrive."

So when a population gets out of hand, cities like Robbinsdale call guys like Jordan and Bo to take them out, and haul them away.

The method is usually fool-proof when it comes to avoiding catching other fish. Although they get surprises like an occasional snapping turtle, here and there.

"We get some fun stuff in our nets, but no other fish other than carp so, it will be just fine," Wein said, as he released a snapping turtle back into the water.

As for the slimy, unlucky bunch of carp, they get hauled away to a composting facility during the summer. During the winter, sometimes they are sold as food.

These guys will get turned into compost," Wein said. "We've been told that the compost is getting turned really well and they're getting fertilized for orchards."

Give a man a day and he'll fish hundreds of carp out of the water.

But nature will have you know, it's not an easy one to outsmart, at least, not overnight.

"Really you just have to have as many options as possible to keep chipping away," Wein said. "And after a bit, you'll get that population down and they'll be smarter and smarter to different techniques."

Wein said the project of culling the carp population to acceptable levels at Crystal Lake will take a few more attempts.

[Reply]
Sofa King 07:26 AM 07-01-2021
Zebra Mussels and those silver carp are all over south dakota too. And Eurasian Collared Doves. Those son of a bitches. I'd Like to find and string up the dumb bastards that imported all this shit. And those giant striped Japanese mosquitos that bite you and make you bleed like crazy.
[Reply]
booyaf2 08:56 AM 07-01-2021
I caught a 26” walleye over the weekend. Trying to figure out how to post a picture
[Reply]
booyaf2 04:15 PM 07-01-2021
rel="Lightbox"?s=129c4b3289171eb6000e56b697631d89&attachmentid=122732&thumb=1&d=1625177706" class="thumbnail" border="0" alt="Click image for larger version Name: FADE2FF2-691A-4670-8C7E-13B78F693503.jpg Views: 238 Size: 76.2 KB ID: 122732" style="margin: 2px" />
Attached:
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 04:24 PM 07-01-2021
Guy caught a 25in walleye on Smithville
[Reply]
LiveSteam 05:31 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by booyaf2:
Attachment 122732
Nice fish
[Reply]
Rasputin 03:19 AM 07-02-2021
**sigh** this year has sucked for not getting to go fishing and I'm totally bummed :-)

However I put in a vacation in August so I'm going be out there angling and kayaking for a week and fuck everything else in life.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:34 PM 07-12-2021

The discovery of foot*ball-sized goldfish in a Burnsville lake has officials pleading with pet own*ers to stop dump*ing their un*want*ed fish into local water*ways.

Burnsville officials found 10 fish, some a foot long, in Keller Lake earlier this month while surveying the fish population as part of a water quality project. On Monday, a second trip yielded 18 more fish, some 18 inches long and estimated to weigh about 4 pounds.

"Most of them were definitely bigger than you'd find in your typical aquarium," said Daryl Jacobson, the city's natural resources manager.

The proliferation of the bright orange fish, which don't naturally live in Minnesota waters, is a problem that's plagued communities around the metro as pet owners seeking a humane next chapter for their pets — which hail from east Asia and are a smaller cousin of the common carp — end up adding an invasive creature to their local waterways. It is illegal in Minnesota to release goldfish into waterways.

In Burnsville, a recent tweet from the city included photos of one especially large goldfish and several in a holding tank.

"Please don't release your pet goldfish into ponds and lakes!" the tweet said. "They grow bigger than you think and contribute to poor water quality by mucking up the bottom sediments and uprooting plants."

Goldfish, which reproduce rapidly and have few natural predators, im*pair wa*ter qual*i*ty by feed*ing along lake floors, dis*rupt*ing plants and stir*ring up sed*i*ment, which in turn re*leas*es phosphorus into the wa*ter, en*cour*ag*ing al*gae growth. The fish also com*pete with na*tive spe*cies for food.

"I would not be surprised if they're in a lot of lakes [around the metro], especially in low numbers," Jacobson said. "Goldfish are a pretty hardy species."

Burnsville officials worked with Carp Solutions, a six-year-old startup that develops new technologies for controlling carp, on their goldfish surveying effort. The company uses boat electrofishing to capture the fish, said founder Przemek Bajer, who is also a University of Minnesota research assistant professor at the Minnesota Aquatic Invasive Species Research Center. Wires reach out from a boat's bow, electrifying the water, and the stunned fish float to the surface to be netted and measured.

In Burnsville, the fish were ultimately killed.

Goldfish and carp can survive in frozen lakes and those with very poor water quality because they can live without oxygen for long periods. They also show up in healthier lakes.

"I think that they are getting more and more common," Bajer said.

Ecologists and lake managers are wondering how much they should worry about the proliferation of goldfish, Bajer said, and if there's something they still don't know about the fish that's allowing them to thrive in Minnesota waters.

In Carver County, a resident notified county staff about clouds of orange fish about two years ago. Since then, the staff has been trying to determine their habits and patterns, said Paul Moline, manager of the Carver County planning and water management department. The fish were first found on Big Woods Lake and then Lake Hazeltine, both in Chaska.

"This was the first time we'd seen a large population and fish the size they were," Moline said.

The department received an $88,000 state grant to study the goldfish. Officials are still trying to figure out why they're doing so well and how to control them, Moline said; last fall they caught and removed some with nets, using clove oil to put them to sleep before killing them.

In Burnsville, officials aren't sure of their next steps after finishing their Keller Lake fish survey. They may leave the fish or try to remove them, Jacobson said. Improving water quality is the goal.

In the meantime, goldfish own*ers who no longer want their pets are ad*vised to find them a new home with another person, or at a pet store — just don't release them in a local lake.

"That's really the last thing you should be doing," Moline said.

Erin Adler • 612-673-1781
[Reply]
R8RFAN 08:28 AM 07-13-2021
wtf is wrong with me, I have a 2018 Tracker just sitting in the garage ...
Have a nice side scan system on it and and ipilot and it just sits there even when I have the time

[Reply]
Graystoke 01:59 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by R8RFAN:
wtf is wrong with me

For starts your a Raider Fan.

But nice boat. Get it out and fish
[Reply]
R8RFAN 02:01 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
For starts your a Raider Fan.

But nice boat. Get it out and fish
I need to man, I get up at 6 am and say I am going to fish then I never go don't know what the f is up, live 10 mins from the lake
[Reply]
bdj23 03:26 PM 07-13-2021
I miss fishing so much but it's impossible to find the time with a little baby
[Reply]
R8RFAN 03:30 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I miss fishing so much but it's impossible to find the time with a little baby
that little baby will grow so fast and will be with you fishing soon
[Reply]
Page 193 of 221
« First < 93143183189190191192193 194195196197203 > Last »
Up