ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1782 of 3903
« First < 782128216821732177217781779178017811782 178317841785178617921832188222822782 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 07:12 PM 05-02-2020
Your country in general is seems pretty divided some leaders are going against the grain just because and other going overboard just trying to prove the other guy wrong.

sorry if this was too political.
[Reply]
TLO 07:13 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Your country in general is seems pretty divided some leaders are going against the grain just because and other going overboard just trying to prove the other guy wrong.

sorry it this was too political.
You're right
[Reply]
DaFace 07:14 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:

sorry it this was too political.
My hope is just that the varying approaches will yield some actual data to try and figure out the "best approach" in a month or so.
[Reply]
O.city 07:14 PM 05-02-2020
Just hope that as things open up things don’t go off the rails at this point
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:15 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Hard when you can't see the enemy. Also none of us have lived through something like this so there's no built in respect for it. It had only been about 20 years since the last World War. It also means we have no proven action plan to stop it.

There are things we're doing now, and 20 years from now people are going to look back and say "That was completely stupid."
Well, there were other countries that were able to successfully limit the spread of SARS, and without getting too political, we did have a pretty detailed plan in place.

Ultimately, I think the biggest contributor is the strain of anti-intellectualism that has become increasingly pervasive in our country. Combine that with an ease of access to information that the average person doesn't understand and it's easy for them to disregard sound advice and latch on to the disastrous.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:16 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's a blatant misrepresentation. You wait until you have a sustained decrease in caseload and an adequate testing apparatus. It's been done in other countries. You don't have to wait for a year--but you have to wait long enough to reduce transmission. You can also reduce transmission by mandating that everyone wear masks and practicing more diligent hygienic practices.
As I said, you'd be waiting the better part of a year and literally destroy the economy in the process. Not to mention the increased cases of spousal, child, drug and alcohol abuse as well as suicides and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:18 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
As I said, you'd be waiting the better part of a year and literally destroy the economy in the process. Not to mention the increased cases of spousal, child, drug and alcohol abuse as well as suicides and such.

The lockdowns in Europe have been nowhere near that long and have already led to a substantial reduction in caseloads and deaths.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:19 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
You're right
Governors try to screw each other over PPE instead of helping each other in the same country.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 PM 05-02-2020
The lockdowns in Europe have been nowhere near that long and have already led to a substantial reduction in caseloads and deaths.
OMG, you mean if you correctly did a lockdown and not a half assed one, that would work better?!?!
[Reply]
petegz28 07:19 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Just hope that as things open up things don’t go off the rails at this point
That's about where it is right now. People are digging into their positions at this point. Some will continue to see reason to stay locked down, some will insist on opening bigger and faster and the data will be manipulated one way or the other to suit the respective argument.

[Reply]
tk13 07:19 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't disagree with these posts.

However there are so many people out there who have lost jobs,careers, businesses, etc.
That was going to happen anyway. It's foolish to think there's some alternative universe out there where this isn't the case.

It's still going to happen. I called it before any of this stuff was being lifted. Watch what happens. People are going to lose their businesses because now there's no safety net. The government is going to open things up and tell you you're on your own. They'll be able to deny more unemployment claims, and business owners aren't going to be able to ask for any kind of stimulus because the government can say "Well we opened it up for you, it's survival of the fittest out there, and you didn't make it."
[Reply]
O.city 07:20 PM 05-02-2020
Some of the areas in Europe weren’t hit that hard and are opening up now though. Similar to how we were with New York and such etc

Hopefully atleast
[Reply]
Monticore 07:21 PM 05-02-2020
Well, there were other countries that were able to successfully limit the spread of SARS, and without getting too political, we did have a pretty detailed plan in place.

Ultimately, I think the biggest contributor is the strain of anti-intellectualism that has become increasingly pervasive in our country. Combine that with an ease of access to information that the average person doesn't understand and it's easy for them to disregard sound advice and latch on to the disastrous.
Google should go into lock down during a pandemic, or need a special license to operate.I sometimes spend the my entire time during an exam trying to undo google damage .
[Reply]
tk13 07:25 PM 05-02-2020

Well that's probably true.

There is an anti-intellectualism streak, but there's also a lot of intelligent people who make a living just being a complete troll and going against the grain no matter what the facts are.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:26 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Some of the areas in Europe weren’t hit that hard and are opening up now though. Similar to how we were with New York and such etc

Hopefully atleast
Guessing it isn't really a lockdown if people are allowed to leave their home more than once every seven days
[Reply]
Page 1782 of 3903
« First < 782128216821732177217781779178017811782 178317841785178617921832188222822782 > Last »
Up