ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 330 of 3903
« First < 230280320326327328329330 3313323333343403804308301330 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:11 PM 03-16-2020
France is now banning “family gatherings”.

How exactly do they enforce that without going North Korea-style?

If a family is eating dinner in their home together isn’t that a “family gathering”?

The damage to western democracies from the hysteria over COVID-19 will be far worse than the impact of the actual virus.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:11 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
From the link:

Trajectory seems about right
Well, damn. There number of deaths were really low early on too.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
San Francisco "orders" people to stay inside. Can they do that legally?
Better stock up on that them guns and ammo so they can't take ourfreedoms! I don't listen to no gubment unless my god talks to me. No sir.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Yeah, I'm in the "cautious, yet not willing to believe the sky is falling" group.

I'm 61 (closer to 62) and have a paralyzed diaphragm from a car accident years ago. Makes it hard to breathe when exerting myself. Getting over a cold where I had a sore throat for a few days, then congestion and finally breaking up and on it's way out.

I was in Florida in late January and walked several miles to the Chiefs gathering in February.

I don't listen to much that the media has to say however when a real doctor talks about this, I listen.

After everything that the media has done, it's difficult for me to trust them on this one. I know this is the non-political thread however there is part of me that agrees with FAX... A bit like after 9/11 where our rights and liberties were affected. It might not be a setup for a power grab however it does seem like some of that is going on.

Just heard that I am going to be WFH for the next two weeks. Thankfully, my job allows that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
Agree.
We could use more of you postin' these days
I'm giving myself the afternoon. Because there's no room for 'I told you so"s in an event like this (though I don't think I've really shit on anyone here) and worse, if it turns out that draconian measures WERE necessary and are on their way - well I'll be in the midst of watching a business I've spent a decade building up crater into insolvency while I'm left holding on the wrong end of a million dollar expansion debt and wondering if there's a place for a nearly 40 year old professional mouth in the 'new society' that emerges.

At that point I'm unlikely to give a fuck about CP either way.

I had a few thoughts and I offered 'em. I'll spend a couple hours expounding on 'em. They could be completely meritless and have only served to further muddy the waters. Whatever they case may be, they're definitely finite and with them out in the wild, I'll see little need to continue to chirp from the sidelines...
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
democracies from the hysteria over COVID-19 will be far worse than the impact of the actual virus.
The Bill of Rights is effectively dead and nobody has realized it.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Not yet. I doubt it's going to change much from the global at this point, which is:

80+ years old
14.8%

70-79 years old
8.0%

60-69 years old
3.6%

50-59 years old
1.3%

40-49 years old
0.4%

30-39 years old
0.2%

20-29 years old
0.2%

10-19 years old
0.2%

0-9 years old
no fatalities

These are percentage chance of dying if infected, by the way.

What’s your guess on how many people are infected but we will never know because they won’t have a need to get tested or get treatment? If this thing is as contagious as suggested it could easily be over 100,00 right now in my opinion if not way more.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:13 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Better stock up on that them guns and ammo so they can't take ourfreedoms! I don't listen to no gubment unless my god talks to me. No sir.
They actually are. My friend in Redwood sent me a pick theres a line outside the door at a local gun shop. I'm not kidding.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:16 PM 03-16-2020
France just reported its biggest death toll in a day yesterday. Not a chance this thing doesnt clobber us in the coming week....
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:16 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Not exactly encouraging...

Surgeon general says U.S. cases are at the point where Italy was 2 weeks ago

Mar 16, 2020 10:55 AM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

[...]

Adams said there will be 30 to 40 new testing sites running in 19 states that could each perform 2,000 to 4,000 tests a week. However, Brett Giroir, a senior health administration official, said community testing sites manned by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and members of the U.S. public health service would be capable of testing 2,000 to 4,000 people each day, not every week. He said the federal government would begin deploying these sites on Monday.

[...]

Asked whether restaurants and bars around the nation should close for the time being, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said he wanted to wait for the guidance to come but allowed, “That could be.”

Fauci said he would like to see more aggressive measures, such as a 14-day national shutdown. Still, Fauci said travel restrictions within the United States, such as to and from hard-hit Washington state and California, probably would not be needed anytime soon.

“The worst is yet ahead for us,” Fauci said. “It is how we respond to that challenge that is going to determine what the ultimate endpoint is going to be.”
At any given point in time, we're going to be where Italy, or any other country for that matter, was at in some point in time.
[Reply]
luv 03:20 PM 03-16-2020
Boyfriend's restaurant went to take-out only. All servers and nearly all the kitchen staff cut.

School's are out here and in the surrounding area until April 3. Not online, just a 2-week extension of spring break.
[Reply]
Donger 03:21 PM 03-16-2020
Unless I'm wrong, no nation has seen exponential growth in either number of cases, and more importantly, deaths.

China's curve is looking good in regard to both, if their numbers can be trusted. From first real surge began around 1/22 to where they are now. So, about two months duration.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:21 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
France just reported its biggest death toll in a day yesterday. Not a chance this thing doesnt clobber us in the coming week....
But here's what's been interesting - at least to whatever extent you can trust these numbers.

It seems that critical case rates spiked significantly in Italy several days before the mortality rates did. Meanwhile the US critical case rates appears to have held pretty steady.

And man, it's possible I'm standing at a crossing watching down the traintracks as a bus is approaching from my left that I'll simply never see coming. But I've taken the 'overrun our health systems' calls at face value from the start because they're inherently sensible. And IF that's the case, if that's truly the key distinction between benign outcomes and mortality spikes, then that's the key metric to track. May turn out that there's a universal constant and infections will yield the same number of critical cases in all nations - in which case that bus will drill me. But for right now, that's the area I've focused my attention on.

And unfortunately I'm simply consuming too much of this shit to keep track of it at this point, but from what I have seen, our critical care rates have remained awfully reasonable and significantly better than others - at least to this point.

Because every day has been the longest week of my life over the last 8-10 days, everything could be different by Wednesday. But so far there are still some signs out there to be encouraged by.

Again - this will obviously get worse before it gets better. And yes, the numbers will go up (including, eventually, the daily death toll) - but so long as our medical system isn't overrun, we'll come out of this just fine. So in light of that its critical to watch the revs, not just the speedometer.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:22 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Well, damn. There number of deaths were really low early on too.

Their growth on deaths has been far faster than the US. For example on February 27th they had 17 and on March 7th they had 233. It was significant increasing basically every day. When we had a similar starting number to compare was on March 6th when we had 15. Today, March 16th we have 78 or so.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:22 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
If we're being macabre here, then I'd be putting money on something not even directly related to the virus being the tipping point that turns everything into a shitshow.
As soon as people start to go hungry and looting starts....then we're gonna have a problem.
[Reply]
Page 330 of 3903
« First < 230280320326327328329330 3313323333343403804308301330 > Last »
Up