ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 208
« First < 162223242526 272829303676126 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*.* NEW- 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*
penguinz 01:44 PM 08-13-2014
I guess we filled up the old one... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149

Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.
[Reply]
loochy 08:55 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
yeah ok - thanks - yeah that pull up bar that guy is using in the photo is badass - looks ergonomically nice.
It looks like the built in handles is the middle of a cable machine (several thousand bucks)
[Reply]
Silock 10:32 PM 10-08-2014
Silock or any qualified posters (I'll let you know if I'm going to take your advice or not)

How do you all work in pull-ups - or - is it pretty much all you do when you DO DO pull ups?

I guess I'm asking if there's a rep/set series you all do...?
I do weighted pull-ups first on my pull days. 50 reps, 10 in the first set, then 5 in each subsequent set, with about 20-30 seconds of rest.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:35 PM 10-08-2014
great. thanks guys.
[Reply]
el borracho 10:51 PM 10-08-2014
Silock or any qualified posters (I'll let you know if I'm going to take your advice or not)

How do you all work in pull-ups - or - is it pretty much all you do when you DO DO pull ups?

I guess I'm asking if there's a rep/set series you all do...?
I like to start my back routines with pullups. I usually only do three or four sets before moving on to other back exercises. First set at bodyweight; subsequent sets weighted; last set I'll do some weighted and then drop the weight off and do a few more reps.

I also vary my grip depending on the subsequent exercises (I'll go narrow grip on pullups if I'm moving on to other wide grip exercises; I'll do wide grip on pullups if I'm moving on to other narrow grip exercises).
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:59 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by el borracho:
I like to start my back routines with pullups. I usually only do three or four sets before moving on to other back exercises. First set at bodyweight; subsequent sets weighted; last set I'll do some weighted and then drop the weight off and do a few more reps.

I also vary my grip depending on the subsequent exercises (I'll go narrow grip on pullups if I'm moving on to other wide grip exercises; I'll do wide grip on pullups if I'm moving on to other narrow grip exercises).
I took of my shirt in front of those ginormous gym mirrors (nobody was there, lol)

I was amazed at my progress in my back development - I had no idea it looked like that - It looked great! shockingly.

[Reply]
Simply Red 11:00 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Silock:
I do weighted pull-ups first on my pull days. 50 reps, 10 in the first set, then 5 in each subsequent set, with about 20-30 seconds of rest.
how do you attach weight Silock, same way we've recently discussed?
[Reply]
Silock 11:05 PM 10-08-2014
how do you attach weight Silock, same way we've recently discussed?
I do have a belt.

You can also grab a dumbbell between your feet. That gets unwieldy.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:07 PM 10-08-2014
I will get there - so that big plate doesn't come back and jar you in the nads? I have to be honest; that's a concern.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:09 PM 10-08-2014
also wonder how much that'd cost - say a 45# plate + belt - $200ish? or less...?
[Reply]
Silock 11:14 PM 10-08-2014
I will get there - so that big plate doesn't come back and jar you in the nads? I have to be honest; that's a concern.
I'm not an 80 year old dude, so my balls don't hang that low yet.

As long as you don't do a kipping pullup, the weight doesn't swing, anyway.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:19 PM 10-08-2014
I'm not an 80 year old dude, so my balls don't hang that low yet.

As long as you don't do a kipping pullup, the weight doesn't swing, anyway.
Cool - what would you say that set up would cost at a sporting good place? Do you think say 40# is a good start or is that far more than I think? In a weighted pull-up scenario, obviously.
[Reply]
Silock 11:25 PM 10-08-2014
Cool - what would you say that set up would cost at a sporting good place? Do you think say 40# is a good start or is that far more than I think? In a weighted pull-up scenario, obviously.
Start small. 40 pounds like an immediate 25% increase. That's insane. Belts are cheap. Used weight off Craigslist is cheaper.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:27 PM 10-08-2014
Start small. 40 pounds like an immediate 25% increase. That's insane. Belts are cheap. Used weight off Craigslist is cheaper.
Great thanks.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:43 PM 10-08-2014
Yep. Probably 50 bucks max for used plate and new belt.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 06:29 AM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I do a variety of rep schemes but usually weighted pullups first with maybe one set of just bodyweight at the end. This always goes on my upper days which I arrange as Upper Horizontal (bench/rows) and Upper Vertical (military press/pullups/dips) with accessory work filing in the rest of the workout.
This is what I do too. I just throw chins or rows in after every set of a horizontal or vertical pushing movement. Doubles as cardio as well :-)
[Reply]
Page 26 of 208
« First < 162223242526 272829303676126 > Last »
Up