ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>AFC rivals haven't closed gap on Chiefs...
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:03 AM 05-03-2021
A good read here in case you missed it, I will put the text in a spoiler...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...his-offseason/

Spoiler!

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:57 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Barring an upstart team like the Chargers, who are really a complete unknown due to their new head coach and staff, or the Dolphins, in which Tua would need to turn into Fran Tarkenton overnight, the biggest threat to the Chiefs going back to the Super Bowl, IMO, is the Cleveland Browns.

The Bills have peaked. Josh Allen crumbles under the weight of carrying a team to a playoff victory and until he proves he can be that guy, he won't be that guy. The Ravens can't throw the ball, Big Ben is 150 years old, the South is in transition, as it always is, and the East is meh.

And while Baker Mayfield is inconsistent, he has the ability to put together a streaky run, so if that happens late in the season and he gets hot, they're going to be a huge handful.
If the biggest threat is the Browns, the Chiefs are in REALLY good shape.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:01 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If the biggest threat is the Browns, the Chiefs are in REALLY good shape.
Yeah, if the number 2 team has a question mark at QB...I’ll take that all day.

Best thing possible for the Chiefs is that we never have a Brady-Manning situation in the AFC.

As long as there’s a significant gap between Mahomes and the second best QB, we’re the front runners.
[Reply]
carcosa 11:05 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Chiefs don’t have a true fatal flaw on paper right now.

The secondary was good last year, and it’ll be pretty much the same group. Guys like Sneed and Fenton will only get better.

Linebacker is younger and more talented than last year.

DL should be better with Reed coming aboard and Wharton getting even better.

OL is vastly improved.

TE depth is better.

WR is the same, since Watkins was always hurt anyway. Maybe Powell or Callaway is a productive addition. Maybe Hardman takes a major stride as a receiver.

CEH will be better with an improved OL and a year in the system. Depth is a little thin, but I’m sure we’ll add another vet.

Mahomes is Mahomes. The coaching staff is essentially back again.

Injuries are the only thing that can derail us. The last 2 years have been rough with injuries. Maybe we’re due for some luck.

13 wins is the floor for the regular season IMO.
Wonderful post... and true, too!
[Reply]
TEX 11:06 AM 05-03-2021
Barring an upstart team like the Chargers, who are really a complete unknown due to their new head coach and staff, or the Dolphins, in which Tua would need to turn into Fran Tarkenton overnight, the biggest threat to the Chiefs going back to the Super Bowl, IMO, is the Cleveland Browns.

The Bills have peaked. Josh Allen crumbles under the weight of carrying a team to a playoff victory and until he proves he can be that guy, he won't be that guy. The Ravens can't throw the ball, Big Ben is 150 years old, the South is in transition, as it always is, and the East is meh.

And while Baker Mayfield is inconsistent, he has the ability to put together a streaky run, so if that happens late in the season and he gets hot, they're going to be a huge handful.
IMO it's the Chargers...NOT b/c I think they're Super Bowl contenders, but because they're a division rival that knows KC very well, and b/c they have the 2nd best QB in the division, who looks like he's going to be special. I think they're a fringe playoff team, that may get "lucky" in a playoff matchup with KC.

I think out of the legit contending teams, I'd go with the Browns also. You nailed why I just don't fear the Bills, Ravens or Steelers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:08 AM 05-03-2021
The division is about the same as last year.

1. LA needs to demonstrate they can win close games and stay healthy. The same as every year. They're the closest competition to the Chiefs.

2. Denver and LV doubled down on "strengths" instead of actually improving. Denver seems to want to fortify the roster in places where they already have good players while not addressing some glaring holes. The Raiders blew up a strength to try and make it a strength and their obsession with back-end tweeners on defense is a bit mystifying.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:09 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
IMO it's the Chargers...NOT b/c I think they're Super Bowl contenders, but because they're a division rival that knows KC very well, and b/c they have the 2nd best QB in the division, who looks like he's going to be special. I think they're a fringe playoff team, that may get "lucky" in a playoff matchup with KC.

I think out of the legit contending teams, I'd go with the Browns also. You nailed why I just don't fear the Bills, Ravens or Steelers.
I think it's the Chargers too because their lack of success is largely due to intangibles - namely close games and injuries.

If they can get over those humps, they'll be a good team. Of course, we say this every year and every year they fail to get past either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:19 AM 05-03-2021
Brandon Staley is 38 years old and has been an NFL coach for four years.

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense with the Rams.

I won't consider the Chargers a threat until he proves he can actually coach.
[Reply]
TEX 11:20 AM 05-03-2021
I think it's the Chargers too because their lack of success is largely due to intangibles - namely close games and injuries.

If they can get over those humps, they'll be a good team. Of course, we say this every year and every year they fail to get past either.
Yep. IF they ever learn how to win the close ones...I think that's where Herbert comes into play. IF he proves to be legit, and I believe that he will, he'll get them over that obstacle. Top QB's do that for their teams.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:21 AM 05-03-2021

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense.

This is very true.

They're the only team that has the talent to top us, that's all I'm saying. The Broncos and Raiders don't have a good enough QB.

LA doesn't have any real holes in their roster. All of their flaws are outside the lines, if you will.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:22 AM 05-03-2021
The division is about the same as last year.

1. LA needs to demonstrate they can win close games and stay healthy. The same as every year. They're the closest competition to the Chiefs.

2. Denver and LV doubled down on "strengths" instead of actually improving. Denver seems to want to fortify the roster in places where they already have good players while not addressing some glaring holes. The Raiders blew up a strength to try and make it a strength and their obsession with back-end tweeners on defense is a bit mystifying.
I think the Broncos and Chargers have the same mindset. They know their defense is good. Everyone saw Tampa Bay’s defense destroy us and now think that a damn good defense and functional offense is good enough.

Those 2 teams will have top 10 defenses but it’s not going to matter with our revamped OL and new weapons.
[Reply]
TEX 11:25 AM 05-03-2021

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that take. Could be a huge factor. The Bolts have a good team, just a lot of intangibles.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:25 AM 05-03-2021

I agree for the most part.

Bills are relying heavily on 2 rookies and a 2nd year DE (Espenesa) to be excellent this year and get consistent pressure on Patrick.

Dolphins are relying heavily on Tua.

Ravens are relying heavily on Lamar and a rookie pass rusher.

Browns have a new better defense with weapons and are relying on Baker.

If I’m betting on who to rely on most of those options, it’s Baker
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:27 AM 05-03-2021
This is very true.

They're the only team that has the talent to top us, that's all I'm saying. The Broncos and Raiders don't have a good enough QB.

LA doesn't have any real holes in their roster. All of their flaws are outside the lines, if you will.
The Chargers are basically the Cleveland Browns of 2020 but instead of Brandon Staley, it was Kevin Stefanski.

With that said, Stefanski was an offensive coach with a far deeper and better NFL resume than Staley, having been in the NFL since 2006.

The Chargers have been underachieving for decades, despite the fact they've seemingly had a loaded roster, so I have a hard time believing that they'll be anything but a disappointment until proven otherwise.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:27 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I agree for the most part.

Bills are relying heavily on 2 rookies and a 2nd year DE (Espenesa) to be excellent this year and get consistent pressure on Patrick.

Dolphins are relying heavily on Tua.

Ravens are relying heavily on Lamar and a rookie pass rusher.

Browns have a new better defense with weapons and are relying on Baker.

If I’m betting on who to rely on most of those options, it’s Baker
Yet you're still relying on Baker. So in reality, the AFC isn't all that strong at the top.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:29 AM 05-03-2021
The Chargers are basically the Cleveland Browns of 2020 but instead of Brandon Staley, it was Kevin Stefanski.

With that said, Stefanski was an offensive coach with a far deeper and better NFL resume than Staley, having been in the NFL since 2006.

The Chargers have been underachieving for decades, despite the fact they've seemingly had a loaded roster, so I have a hard time believing that they'll be anything but a disappointment until proven otherwise.
Oh for sure, I don't disagree.

My argument is more about the fact that it seems to be status quo right now, at least in the AFC West. All we really got was more of the same. None of the teams really re-shaped anything.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up