ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 46
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The SNL Thread
Easy 6 08:51 PM 05-12-2007
I've been considering doing this for a while, so here goes. A thread to discuss anyone & anything relating to the show.

They keep a pretty tight lid on all images & apparently stay after youtube as well, so those kinds of things might be a 'lil hard to come by, but oh well.

Pretty much everyone here seems to be a fan of it on some level, so it might be kinda fun.

Its as close to Cant Miss Television as there is for me.
[Reply]
007 10:11 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
Honestly, the thought that SNL hasn't been funny in forever is about the biggest stretch you can have.

They have some really great material on there and some talented people. Just because it's not Belushi, Sandler, Farley or Ferrell, doesn't mean it's not funny.
It's not great anymore but it still manages to hit a home run every now and then.
[Reply]
JD10367 10:25 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
Honestly, the thought that SNL hasn't been funny in forever is about the biggest stretch you can have.

They have some really great material on there and some talented people. Just because it's not Belushi, Sandler, Farley or Ferrell, doesn't mean it's not funny.
I've tried to watch it repeatedly over the years. Whenever I turn it on, I watch it for a while, think, "none of this is funny", and turn it off.

The longer the show's been on the air, it seems the shorter the length of time it's funny per night. Originally the whole thing was funny. In the 80s, it was funny for the first half. In the 90s, it was the first quarter of the show. Now, not even the opening monologue or first skit seem funny.

It's not necessarily their fault. When the show first started, there was little outlet for comedic writing. Now? Six billion cable channels (including Comedy Central). Comedy shows like "The Simpsons", "Family Guy", and "South Park". Late-night shows like Conan, Ferguson, and Kimmel. Movies. The media has become so dense and varied that it's stretched the good writing thin. JMO.
[Reply]
Thig Lyfe 10:30 PM 01-23-2010
Consistency has never, ever been SNL's strong point, even with their best casts. It has to be extremely hard to put on a new, live 90 minute comedy show 30 weeks a year. It's amazing that they're successful as often as they are, really.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:32 PM 01-23-2010
Its hitting a dinger right now...
[Reply]
JD10367 10:38 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by scott free:
Its hitting a dinger right now...
I don't know who Blake Lively is, but I'd like to hit her with MY dinger... :-)
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 11:52 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by JD10367:

It's not necessarily their fault. When the show first started, there was little outlet for comedic writing. Now? Six billion cable channels (including Comedy Central). Comedy shows like "The Simpsons", "Family Guy", and "South Park". Late-night shows like Conan, Ferguson, and Kimmel. Movies. The media has become so dense and varied that it's stretched the good writing thin. JMO.
Excellent point.
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 04:17 AM 01-24-2010
I haven't watched it much, but the SNL shorts with Justin Timberlake are pretty much the only good stuff I have seen in years on that show, but I haven't watched a whole SNL in years.
[Reply]
Pioli Zombie 06:50 AM 01-24-2010
They've had some incredible casts, from the first Chase-Belushi-Ackroyd-Radner years to the Eddie Murphy-Joe Piscopo years to the one incredible year they had Billy Crystal-Christopher Guest-Martin Short-Harry Shearer but I think the absolute best lineup the ever had was around 1989 when they had Phil Hartman,Dana Carvey,Jon Lovitz,Nora Dunn,Jan Hooks,Dennis Miller,Kevin Nealon and their BACKUP players were Chris Rock,Chris Farley,Mike Myers,and Adam Sandler. Holy crap!!!
That was the era, from like 1986 to 1994 when I wouldn't miss a moment.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Pioli Zombie 06:52 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by JD10367:
I don't know who Blake Lively is, but I'd like to hit her with MY dinger... :-)
Yes I likey the dress she almost had on to open the show.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ForeverChiefs58 09:08 AM 01-24-2010
Which former cast member has had the most success?

I would guess it would have to be Mike Myers.
[Reply]
DJay23 10:45 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58:

Murphy or Sandler I would think.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:13 AM 01-24-2010
Best way to watch in online w/HULU. You get to pick the clips you wanna see. I watched the Lawrence Welk one with the freaky little hands chick about 5 times with my son. Laughed our butts off. That and McGruber with Charles Barkley. Funny stuff.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:13 AM 01-24-2010

Bill Murray.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:16 AM 01-24-2010

My guess in terms of box office dollars would be Eddie Murphy.

Even though he sucks now.

Sandler is probably getting close to him though.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:28 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie:
but I think the absolute best lineup the ever had was around 1989 when they had Phil Hartman,Dana Carvey,Jon Lovitz,Nora Dunn,Jan Hooks,Dennis Miller,Kevin Nealon and their BACKUP players were Chris Rock,Chris Farley,Mike Myers,and Adam Sandler. Holy crap!!!
Great point, even the new guys were top notch.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 46
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up