ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>home alarm system
bogey 06:25 PM 12-05-2018
I'm remodeling a home in Missouri and I live in CA. This house will sit empty most of the time, for the next few years until I retire and move into it, or sell it.
I'm looking for a security system that will help deter break-ins.
The house is out in the country, but I have neighbors a hundred yards or so down the road. I feel motion censored flood lights and a loud alarm would scare them off and hopefully rouse the neighbors. I would like to be able to control the system with my cell from CA. Possibly put the lights on timers, etc. Cameras would be nice, but really I want to keep them out, more than I want catch them.
If any of you have any recommendations for a good security system, I would appreciate hearing about them.
Thanks!
[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:36 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I have a place in the country, with no neighbors in sight. I've been very happy with my Blink system. Motion detection, text alerts, cloud storage and no monthly fees. Affordable to install, wireless battery powered cameras. My minor complaint is that I can't enable some cameras and not others, but it's not a deal breaker. 3 cam system for under $350.
What service are you using for the wifi connection to the cloud?
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:22 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
What service are you using for the wifi connection to the cloud?
It runs on my home's normal WiFi from Windstream.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 07:29 AM 12-06-2018
Simplisafe is what I have been using the last 5 years or so... Cheap , reliable , portable and no contracts
[Reply]
Donger 08:42 AM 12-06-2018
Ring. The Ring base station has a cellular modem built-in, so no landline is needed. But, cellular coverage is of course required if you want it monitored. And that's $10/month.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 10:36 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
Ring. The Ring base station has a cellular modem built-in, so no landline is needed. But, cellular coverage is of course required if you want it monitored. And that's $10/month.
excellent information. Thanks! I currently don't have internet access at my place, but cellular coverage should be ok.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:18 PM 12-06-2018
Frankly, they are all a waste of time if you are trying to deter theft. Theives will either smash and grab and be gone before cops show up, or they do a decoy run where they trip the alarm, wait for the cops to clear it as a false alarm then strip the house.

As posted, use a combination of quality locks, signage, and potentially making a deal with a neighbor to provide some basic upkeep such as clearing snow, etc. to make it appear occupied.
[Reply]
bogey 01:27 PM 12-06-2018
Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate it!
[Reply]
Bugeater 01:29 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by bogey:
Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate it!
You're welcome! When can I move in?
[Reply]
bogey 01:36 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
You're welcome! When can I move in?
If you can live in Humansville, we can probably work something out. :-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:24 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
Get The Ring

They’re awesome motherfuckers
I have a whole RING system. It's perfect IMO. Windows, doors, motion sensors. All work great. You can arm everything together or separately. And I think monitoring is available on it also.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:29 PM 12-06-2018
Humansville is a good little spot. Close to the Lucas speedway in Wheatland.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:53 PM 12-06-2018
**** the Ring, it can only be installed in one spot...your doorbell. What if they break in through a back window? Get a few Blink cameras. They're wireless, on sale right now on Amazon and will alert your phone to any movement anywhere you want to install them. I know you said you only want to scare meth-heads off but wouldn't you also like to be notified when one tries? Of course, they do require wifi/internet to work so that may be a deal-breaker if its way out in the boonies...
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:20 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
**** the Ring, it can only be installed in one spot...your doorbell. What if they break in through a back window? Get a few Blink cameras. They're wireless, on sale right now on Amazon and will alert your phone to any movement anywhere you want to install them. I know you said you only want to scare meth-heads off but wouldn't you also like to be notified when one tries? Of course, they do require wifi/internet to work so that may be a deal-breaker if its way out in the boonies...
I have a whole home ring system
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:26 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I have a whole home ring system
Really? I guess I'll admit ignorance on Ring, I thought it was only the doorbell. It's been quite a while since I've researched them all.

Are there multiple Ring cameras or just sensors?
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:39 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Really? I guess I'll admit ignorance on Ring, I thought it was only the doorbell. It's been quite a while since I've researched them all.

Are there multiple Ring cameras or just sensors?
Everything. Motion lights. Motion lights with cameras,
Motion sensors. Door and window sensors. Indoor, outdoor cameras. Video doorbells. Works on cellular backup. Can pay for motoring. Can do every thing from your phone. Has touchpads also.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up