ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 63 of 202
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773113163 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
FAX 09:09 AM 10-21-2018
According to the NFLPA, all players must inform the team physician prior to having surgery (unless it's an emergency situation). The team is also required to pay for the surgery.

I assume this also means orthoscopic surgery. (Duh.) Further, I assume whoever concocted this "theory" is a numbskull. In other words, his skull is crammed totally full of numb.

FAX
[Reply]
JakeF 01:09 PM 10-21-2018
Is Berry's heel still deformed?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:11 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
According to the NFLPA, all players must inform the team physician prior to having surgery (unless it's an emergency situation). The team is also required to pay for the surgery.

I assume this also means orthoscopic surgery. (Duh.) Further, I assume whoever concocted this "theory" is a numbskull. In other words, his skull is crammed totally full of numb.

FAX
Exactly.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:18 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
everyone just chill

we got the #1 seed on lockdown

we want a HEALTHY Eric Berry and Justin Houston entering the playoffs.

We do that...we are going to Dolphin Rape the Pats at Arrowhead in the AFCCG.
Chief's fans were all saying things like this in 2016 too. Just wait until next week, just wait after the bye, just wait until the playoffs, just wait until next year!

Berry and Houston got paid, they don't give a shit anymore. They won't start pushing hard again until it's time for another contract, likely with a different team.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:24 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Chief's fans were all saying things like this in 2016 too. Just wait until next week, just wait after the bye, just wait until the playoffs, just wait until next year!

Berry and Houston got paid, they don't give a shit anymore. They won't start pushing hard again until it's time for another contract, likely with a different team.
Berry's been getting paid ever since he entered the league. His rookie deal was 6 years, $60 million. I don't think money is affecting his effort or willingness to play.

Neither do I think that's the problem of Houston, either.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:29 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Berry's been getting paid ever since he entered the league. His rookie deal was 6 years, $60 million. I don't think money is affecting his effort or willingness to play.

Neither do I think that's the problem of Houston, either.
Good point about Berry. It's not like Berry hasn't been trying at all since getting paid too. He just seems to take his time coming back from an injury.

Have you watched Houston? Dude looks like he's running in mud. Either his knee is completely shot or he is taking his time.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:39 PM 10-21-2018
This whole situation is Sanders Cummings part two.

Maybe Eric Berry will sign with the Atlanta Braves too...
[Reply]
D750 01:41 PM 10-21-2018
They both got a huge contract and jack shit since then. Time to move on and quit holding this team back.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:44 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by D750:
They both got a huge contract and jack shit since then. Time to move on and quit holding this team back.
Not much that can be done at this point.

Neither will be worth much in trade given their lack of production and huge contracts.

Either renegotiate or let 'em go.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:46 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Not much that can be done at this point.

Neither will be worth much in trade given their lack of production and huge contracts.

Either renegotiate or let 'em go.
Houston's deal is almost done. We could restructure, but in any case, I'd rather keep him around than pay Dee Ford any kind of longterm deal.
[Reply]
scho63 01:52 PM 10-21-2018
We got a lot of dead money not playing.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:53 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:

If Berry didn't give a shit he'd retire. Justin Houston, while I could be wrong I don't think it's an effort issue. When I watch the tape he is battling just like everyone else. To me he's trying his hardest. I simply think offensive lineman have figured Justin Houston out.

Injuries happen and you can't get mad at the guy for signing a large contract. It's simply bad luck for the Chiefs and Eric Berry that he's been injured. It sucks but Dorsey had no way of knowing Berry was going to get hurt. At the time it was a good signing. Eric Berry is a top-15-20 player when healthy maybe even higher. You want to keep those guys on the team even if you have to sign them to a large contract. Especially in todays pass happy NFL having a safety like Berry is huge. You can use him in so many ways and when he gets an INT I don't think there's a better player at running it back for a TD.

So this whole 'I'm mad at Eric Berry because he is hurt,' is getting a little ridiculous. It's not like Eric Berry wanted this to happen. He wants to be out there with his teammates you guys know this.

The human body doesn't always cooperate anyone who has had a serious injury and rehabbed knows this. There's nothing Eric Berry can do except do what the doctors tell him to do and wait. He can't magically do some exercises and get healthy. That'd be nice but injuries don't work like that. It simply takes time for the body to heal. There's no getting around it unfortunately.

Just be patient. He'll be back.
[Reply]
JakeF 02:03 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
If Berry didn't give a shit he'd retire. Justin Houston, I don't think it's an effort issue. When I watch the tape he is battling just like everyone else. To me he's trying his hardest. I simply think offensive lineman have figured Justin Houston out.

Injuries happen and you can't get mad at the guy for signing a large contract. It's simply bad luck for the Chiefs and Eric Berry that he's been injured. It sucks but Dorsey had no way of knowing Berry was going to get hurt. At the time it was a good signing. Eric Berry is a top-15-20 player when healthy maybe even higher. You want to keep those guys on the team even if you have to sign them to a large contract. Especially in todays pass happy NFL having a safety like Berry is huge. You can use him in so many ways and when he gets an INT I don't think there's a better player at running it back for a TD.

So this whole 'I'm mad at Eric Berry because he is hurt,' is getting a little ridiculous. It's not like Eric Berry wanted this to happen. He wants to be out there with his teammates you guys know this.

The human body doesn't always cooperate anyone who has had a serious injury and rehabbed knows this. There's nothing Eric Berry can do except do what the doctors tell him to do and wait. He can't magically do some exercises and get healthy. That'd be nice but injuries don't work like that. It simply takes time for the body to heal. There's no getting around it unfortunately.
If Berry or Houston retire it would cost them millions. We are talking about 20+ million each. They won't retire, they will force the team to cut them.

John Dorsey didn't want to sign Berry to the big contract. Clark Hunt flew up to KC and completed the contract, not Dorsey.

How have offensive lineman figure Houston out? Come on. :-)
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 02:27 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
If Berry didn't give a shit he'd retire. Justin Houston, while I could be wrong I don't think it's an effort issue. When I watch the tape he is battling just like everyone else. To me he's trying his hardest. I simply think offensive lineman have figured Justin Houston out.

Just be patient. He'll be back.
BRAVO!!!..finally an adult speaks some truth!!!. The constant crying over Berry and now Houston is just pathetic. THIS IS FOOTBALL, people get injured and sometimes it takes way longer than normal to recover. The fact that there are so-called "fans" questioning Berry and Houston's passion for the game and calling them "cowards" is f#cking ridiculous and merely personifies the sort of privileged punks we have In the Chiefs fanbase.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:47 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
BRAVO!!!..finally an adult speaks some truth!!!. The constant crying over Berry and now Houston is just pathetic. THIS IS FOOTBALL, people get injured and sometimes it takes way longer than normal to recover. The fact that there are so-called "fans" questioning Berry and Houston's passion for the game and calling them "cowards" is fucking ridiculous and merely personifies the sort of privileged punks we have In the Chiefs fanbase.

this is true. I also doubt that Berry plays meaningful football ever again, however. And that's got nothing to do with him as a person. Just shit luck.
[Reply]
Page 63 of 202
« First < 13535960616263 6465666773113163 > Last »
Up