ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 202
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
notorious 06:33 PM 09-29-2018
Bye.

Cut him and move on.
[Reply]
BlackOp 06:35 PM 09-29-2018
Just restructure Berry's contract over the next 15 years...they can keep him on the sideline in sweats and he can be an emotional leader/coach. He gets all his guaranteed money. Problem solved.

In 5-6 years he can retire with an undisclosed injury settlement....
[Reply]
carcosa 06:35 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Can't say I'll have fond memories of him once he's gone.
Shut da fuck up
[Reply]
notorious 06:36 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Just restructure Berry's contract over the next 15 years...they can keep him on the sideline in sweats and he can be an emotional leader/coach. He gets all his guaranteed money. Problem solved.
Do the Denver way and make him an 10 million/year janitor or consultant. He gets paid but his money doesn’t count against the cap.
[Reply]
bigjosh 06:38 PM 09-29-2018
He probably only practiced this year at the beginning so that he could say it "flared up" during practice, thus being ineligible for the NFI list.

I was fully on board with berry, but he is handicapping this team right now.

He has only played in 87 games in his career out of 115, and he has essentially been the highest paid safety in the nfl for 8 years now.

I hate to say it, but they should have let him walk in his contract year.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
[Reply]
thegame214 06:39 PM 09-29-2018
Maybe twitter guy is right about the settlement
[Reply]
BlackOp 06:44 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by notorious:
Do the Denver way and make him an 10 million/year janitor or consultant. He gets paid but his money doesn’t count against the cap.
I was actually half serious about Berry's contract. What prevents a team/player from ripping up a contract every year if they both agree to the terms?

Could they spread out his cap hit to essentially nothing for the next 2 years...and play the waiting game to see if he every recovers? Then if he's never able to play again...agree to kick him down the difference in an injury settlement. By the time they know...the cap will have increased. They can spread that new 2020 deal out for as long as they want..

Berry's situation is a rarity...at least I would think. Signing a record deal with a ton of guaranteed $$$ then only playing a part of one game after...and possibly retiring but not doing so because you want your millions. The Chiefs essentially cant cut/release him...so they just repeat "week to week".
[Reply]
bigjosh 07:19 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I was actually half serious about Berry's contract. What prevents a team/player from ripping up a contract every year if they both agree to the terms?

Could they spread out his cap hit to essentially nothing for the next 2 years...and play the waiting game to see if he every recovers? Then if he's never able to play again...agree to kick him down the difference in an injury settlement. By the time they know...the cap will have increased. They can spread that new 2020 deal out for as long as they want..

Berry's situation is a rarity...at least I would think. Signing a record deal with a ton of guaranteed $$$ then only playing a part of one game after...and possibly retiring but not doing so because you want your millions. The Chiefs essentially cant cut/release him...so they just repeat "week to week".

The cowboys were penalized draft picks a few years ago for manipulating the cap if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BlackOp 07:25 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
The cowboys were penalized draft picks a few years ago for manipulating the cap if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think Berry's situation is unique...as we are talking about an injury settlement.

I'm not sure the details/precautions that the NFL takes to keep the Elways of the world from abusing it.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:30 PM 09-29-2018
Wow - it’s amazing how quickly this board turns on someone like Berry. He’s been a true professional his entire career and everyone is questioning his motives and determination. I guess he never beat cancer or anything like that and came back with an epic season where he was far and away our most impactful defensive player.

I’m as disappointed as anyone that he’s not on the field and you can blame Dorsey and the Chiefs for giving him that contract. But people are talking about Berry like he’s a guy who just got his big money contract and mailed it in after that. Like he’s a guy with character issues. Amazing.
[Reply]
Coach 07:39 PM 09-29-2018
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Wow - it’s amazing how quickly this board turns on someone like Berry. He’s been a true professional his entire career and everyone is questioning his motives and determination. I guess he never beat cancer or anything like that and came back with an epic season where he was far and away our most impactful defensive player.

I’m as disappointed as anyone that he’s not on the field and you can blame Dorsey and the Chiefs for giving him that contract. But people are talking about Berry like he’s a guy who just got his big money contract and mailed it in after that. Like he’s a guy with character issues. Amazing.
I'm not upset at Berry because of the situation. I'm upset at the Chiefs for multiple reasons. They have not been forthcoming to the media or fans on the type of injury, other than "heel/foot", whereas this situation was much worse than they're letting on.

In hindsight, the Chiefs should had placed him on IR (with the designation to return) thus freeing up a roster spot for someone else who can actually help the team, specifically, the defensive side.

Nope, they fucked up.
[Reply]
carcosa 07:41 PM 09-29-2018

Thanks you!
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:43 PM 09-29-2018

Not me. Favorite Chief ever.
[Reply]
BlackOp 07:47 PM 09-29-2018
I like Berry...I thought the way he handled the negotiations with Dorsey was pretty lame. It turned into a national headline. It forced Chunt's PR hand into a shitty contract...and we're seeing the repercussions of it now.

Berry beating cancer...amazing.

Berry turning the screws on the team that stood by him during it...shitty.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:48 PM 09-29-2018

It's not his fault necessarily, but his inability to stay healthy may be the reason we miss a Super Bowl run. He got a huge contract and has been useless since.

It just sucks and is hard to swallow since he fought the team so hard on that contract.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 202
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Up